Immobiliser help needed!

k17rpo

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have just read the huge error that i have done, basically i have always had a problem with the rev counter on my mums a3 so i decided to take the cluster out to see if there was anything obvious which meant undoin the two connectors on the back. Now i have the immobiliser light flashing everytime the ignition is on and the car dies after 1 sec, is there a cure or is it doomed?

The last two times this problem has come up it's been caused by loose connections to the cluster. Take the cluster out again and reseat the plugs.

Also i read on here that you shouldnt keep trying it as the immo will eventually lock down totally.

But i never had a response as to how many times you can try it

You may have a faulty dash unit, connection or a key reader issue at the ignition lock. Sounds like the former as the immobiliser is situated within the dash pod, but dodgey key readers are not unheard of. The dash unit should rememeber the key even if it is removed.

The problem here is that you will most likely head round in circles trying to find the problem. You should get the fault codes read which will point you in the right direction of where to start. If you can't get to audi (or don't want to), there are various lists of people on some forums who have vag-com software and are willing to help people out for beer money.

have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? Leave it off for a min or so, has worked a few times for me. If not its gotta be summat to do with what you've done. Gutted for ya but i'm sure you'll sort it!

Thanks for the replies guys, i did try disconnecting the battery hoping it would erase any fault codes or reset itself but did not work, i then removed the dials and gave the plugs a blow and re-fitted them which has worked so maybe it was a slight loose connection.

so thanks again for the replies but another slight question, would it be possible to get hold of another set of dials (i.e the speedo cluster) and fit them in or will it have to be re-programmed??

Yes you can fit a new set of dials, but they would need to be programmed in and the mileage would be incorrect, as you only get one chance to set the mileage with a brand new set of dails. Second hand jobbie would already be set.

Damn was kind of hoping that wouldnt be the case, oh well might just have to stick it out with the fault for now!

The issue with the immo not working might also indicate an intermittant pin/wiring issue for the rev counter fella, maybe there are some bad pin connections on the plugs, give it a good look over.

Have you got a meter as a simple continuity test on wires/pins would maybe tell you if pins have bad contact with wires, simple way is to just stick meter probe on wire down from the pin & other probe on the pin via a wire as cant stick on in end of the pin, then move the pin about where it joins the wires to see if it breaks the circuit on continuity.

Thats what I would check anyway as seems strange the immo wires failed for brief time & you also report rev counter issues as I've taken mine out on my old S3 loads times with no wire issues so think could posibbly be blessing in disguise the immo failing so it points you towards rev counter issue, just my thoughts anyway.