Important security warning for anyone uploading pictures

S32B

Reaction score
I'm not wanting to worry anyone, but I have just found out that a lot of the pictures on the forum include the information of where the picture was taken, right down to the house number...it even shows you a map if opened in the right program. I'm not going to say how exactly you do it for obvious reasons!

The problem occurs when you take a picture using your mobile phone or digital camera which has GPS geo-location turned on, the phone/camera automatically stores the information within the picture. You then upload it to the site with all that information hidden in the picture, that information can then be easily seen by anyone knowing what to do. It's not 100% accurate, but close enough to change the way you take/upload pictures.

There are two ways which you can stop this from happening:

Option 1 If you are an IOS user:

1. Launch the Settings app from your iPhone home screen.
2. Tap on privacy.
3. Tap on location services.
4. Tap on camera.
5. You will now see the option 'Allow location access' change it to never.

No location information will now be stored on the pictures you take/upload.

(On Android I assume it will be in either settings/privacy or in the camera settings, look for something like 'location tags'.)

Option 2 If you only want to remove the location information on pictures you upload to the forums:

If you have the pictures sitting on your (Windows) desktop, just right click on the picture you want to upload, click properties, then the details tab, at the bottom you will see 'Remove Properties and Personal Information'.

Mk

Once you have clicked that you can just remove the GPS part, or remove everything and make a copy of the picture, then you are safe to upload.

I took this picture a few months back in North Wales Audi in Llandudno:

On the map using the info stored within the picture:

It may be an idea to make this a sticky?!?

Reactions: Ghost, Jake 61, Rumpelkillskins and 9 others
Nice one mate but I think we already have one of these threads.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
Oh right, been here a while and haven't seen it! It may be worth making a sticky for new members who have just collected their new cars and want to show them off!

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 3 others
I'm sorry but I really hope this is not news to anyone who frequents the internet.

Reactions: Darren92, SamR92 and pburv
Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
I'm sorry but I really hope this is not news to anyone who frequents the internet.
Well by judging how many people have posted pictures recently with all the information still there, then yes it is news to them!

Reactions: Jassyo06, mister.c., Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Well by judging how many people have posted pictures recently with all the information still there, then yes it is news to them!

Can you do me a favour mate and check one of mine......I know I've got geotag switched off on me android?

Reactions: Jassyo06
If I can find a pic you've posted yeah :)

Think the last one was in what have you done to yer 8v today.........thanks mate

Reactions: Jassyo06
Think the last one was in what have you done to yer 8v today.........thanks mate
Yeah your location is off, just shows you have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
Yeah your location is off, just shows you have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Shhhhhhhh......don't tell em they'll all want one!! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and azibux1

Oh hi, what a high horse you are sat upon right now..

Reactions: Jassyo06, Gordo77 and Audi Bairn
This is a worrying fault in the software used in this forum. Not critical, not even that dangerous, but worrying. Hopefully @Sandra will have an update soon, and either allow users to reup sanitised shots, or run a script in the database to remove all the geotags.

Meanwhile, apple users who like the location facility in their phones photos have a number of options they can use to remove or alter gps location tags.

1/ take a screenshot of the photo you're uploading on your idevice, and upload that instead. Pressing the home and power buttons at the same time dumps a photo of your current screen view into your photo album, without gps tags.

2/ use a free app called MAPic. This allows you to select a photo or photos in your album, and change them to an entirely different location of your choosing.

This snowy scene for example, can be found in a place not normally known for its levels of precipitation, and certainly not in the white fluffy form seen here.

IMG 0762

Reactions: S32B, Gordo77, Simon L and 1 other person
Hi All

Since about 2011 almost all phones and devices have been geo-taging your images. This was done by the Americans for reasons that I think they thought were helpful to the emergency services and has been the standard to a lot of social media websites like facebook and twitter. How do you think they know where you were on holiday?

It's a little like CCTV when it first goes in everyone is on best behaviour not sitting on the photocopier and the likes. After a few months everyone forgets and start doing things the boss wouldn’t like. I guess everyone has forgot that the new phone you have got or the camera you bought has this automatically turned on and it’s up to you to turn it off.

After getting a few requests from people this week we have been working on a solutions. This is a very large site and there are many alterations to the code that means we have to do testing on our test server to make sure things don’t break.

We now remove all the tags when you upload the images to your posts and I hope we have removed all the ones from the database.

If you should come across an image that for one reason or another has been missed please let us know and will sort it out.

Please be aware that images hosted on other sites might contain Geo information.

Many thanks

Admin

Reactions: Darroch, Matty_S3&S5, Rob2k68 and 5 others
Hi All

Since about 2011 almost all phones and devices have been geo-taging your images. This was done by the Americans for reasons that I think they thought were helpful to the emergency services and has been the standard to a lot of social media websites like facebook and twitter. How do you think they know where you were on holiday?

It's a little like CCTV when it first goes in everyone is on best behaviour not sitting on the photocopier and the likes. After a few months everyone forgets and start doing things the boss wouldn’t like. I guess everyone has forgot that the new phone you have got or the camera you bought has this automatically turned on and it’s up to you to turn it off.

After getting a few requests from people this week we have been working on a solutions. This is a very large site and there are many alterations to the code that means we have to do testing on our test server to make sure things don’t break.

We now remove all the tags when you upload the images to your posts and I hope we have removed all the ones from the database.

If you should come across an image that for one reason or another has been missed please let us know and will sort it out.

Please be aware that images hosted on other sites might contain Geo information.

Many thanks

Admin
Bravo forum admin. :friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and SpeedyFrog
Thanks for the hard work it's much appreciated ;)

Reactions: Rob2k68, SpeedyFrog, Simon L and 1 other person
Excellent work - thanks for all of the time you've put into this!

Good job admin :sunglasses:

Reactions: Sandra
Does the information still show even if you upload through photobucket ?