In the market for a B8.5 S4 - what to look for.

DeanoC

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new and looking at a 2013/2014 S4 Saloon. I'm sick of being forced into stuff I don't like by company car tax so just cancelled my BMW 330e order.

I have had a search as I know it is annoying when newbies ask questions that come up lose but I'm after a bit of advice on what to specifically look for. The s-tronic gearbox seems to pop up the most along with a "mech unit". Is that a real issue and how do you test it?

Thanks

There seem to have been 3 'generations' of the DL501 s-tronic gearbox. The first was in the first B8 cars from 2009 and there seem to have been problems with it requiring either part or full replacement to fix. I believe the second generation came before the facelift and it was to fix these problems but possibly with only partial success. The third generation was at facelift (B8.5 2012) and it seems (touch wood :)) to have solved most of the problems. What is essential, and applies to all generations, is that the oil is changed at the correct time, or even earlier. I have read quite a few reports from owners who had 'drivability' issues which were solved with a change of oil and filter. Said oil cools the clutchpacks and lubricates the mechatronics (well the mechanical part at least) so you can imagine that it is important.

So if you are looking for a 2013/14 then hopefully you can ignore the horror stories that you have read. On your test drives check that all the gear changes are smooth and quiet including coming to a complete stop. If the car has done more than 38K make sure the gearbox oil and filter were changed.

Very helpful, thanks Dippy. That seems simple enough.

One other question I had was is the flat bottomed wheel an option on the 8.5? I have seen some 12 plate and newer cars with the new front end and lights but with a circle wheel.

I think the flat bottom wheels were an option on standard cars and then standard on the black edition cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got you. Thank you. Most of them seem to be the black editions

Just don't want the alcantara seats

I have a non black edition 2014 S4 and can confirm the flat bottom wheel was an option. I specced it as I preferred it. :) More ramblings in my S4 thread.

Just don't want the alcantara seats
@DeanoC - Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

Don't discount the alcantara seats. They are way better than they look & don't suffer the puddling that full leather does
I have it in my S4 and love it to the point when I change it in a couple of yeras the new S3 saloon or new TTS i get will be spec'ed with alcantara

@DeanoC - Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

Don't discount the alcantara seats. They are way better than they look & don't suffer the puddling that full leather does
I have it in my S4 and love it to the point when I change it in a couple of yeras the new S3 saloon or new TTS i get will be spec'ed with alcantara

Oh it performs really well. Loved it in previous cars when i was young free and single. I have a messy GF and kids now!

Oh it performs really well. Loved it in previous cars when i was young free and single. I have a messy GF and kids now!

I was very sceptical, but with two toddlers and a wife who thinks cars are large bins, it's holding up really well. Also much more comfortable all year round as avoids being freezing cold or boiling hot. If you've got kids then also be aware that the super sports seats make the back a more confined space in terms of both general feel but also legroom.

I was very sceptical, but with two toddlers and a wife who thinks cars are large bins, it's holding up really well. Also much more comfortable all year round as avoids being freezing cold or boiling hot. If you've got kids then also be aware that the super sports seats make the back a more confined space in terms of both general feel but also legroom.

Ah good shout

They do look and feel great though!

Here's another voice speaking up in defence of supersport seats in full nappa leather. Admittedly, no rear seat occupants to consider, but if you're a fat old man with a bad back there's only one way to go. :)

Plenty of room in the back of my sportback for my two kids who are now both taller than their mum. However I guess I'm not too tall at 174cm so that may make the difference.

I'm about the same and have 2 kids in the back of a Leon Cupra 3dr currently so i can easily sell it as an improvement. It won't be the main family wagon.