In the market for a S3 8L.

N88 RBN

Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I’m in the market for an S3 anything I should be looking out for when buying?

Thanks in advance
Nath

My audi s3 8l bam 2002 in silver will be forsale after its gone through an MOT. PM for more information.

Thanks

There’s not a huge selection to choose from these days as they are getting pretty old now. The buying guide has all the info you need. The rarer colours you might like to consider would be Goodwood Green, Avus Silver, Nogaro Blue and Imola Yellow. Then there’s the optional ‘Audi exclusive’ colours such as Misano Red, Papaya Orange, Merlin purple, kingfisher blue, denim blue, and probably a couple of others but can’t think off hand. Nice to have options would be a double-DIN radio unit because it’s easier to upgrade the in car entertainment to modern head units. Check that the car turns properly on full lock at slow speeds. That indicates a Haldex problem (quattro problem). The Bose audio upgrade is considered most average. It’s way better than the standard set-up but don’t worry if it’s not installed. After market setups are much better. Also the later 225bhp BAM engines fitted from about 2002+ aren’t worth any more money than vehicles fitted with the other engine codes such as APY or AMK. Personally I’d choose a facelift option (thats 2001 onwards normally). Easiest way to tell is one piece headlight units and the more modern S3 style of badge which is still in use today.

Getting mine was a leap in the dark , 4 years on, still not hit the bottom yet ..

just talked to a guy , tonight , who brought one last year .
only to find the engine was K-put , since parted the car out
to recover his loss ..

Haldex is the killer, everything else can be repaired

Mine started to bunny hop in tesco's car park ... why ? probably
due to the sticky tarmac , full lock reverse and the inside back wheel
would spin in the direction of travel , probably winding up the drive shock

Yet, the haldex was still 'working' dumping the clutch in first gear on wet grass
showed the front wheel rotating 90 deg before the back engaged

I suspect the high pressure reg valve is leaking slightly , due to seat wear
partly engaging the clutch ..

Really at this age , its a question of horses for courses ,
you can make the equivalent of a 4 wheel cafe racer
c/w rear sets , alloy tank , clip on's , rob north frame , over bored engine etc
or a concourse de elegance , the middle ground is questionable

G,)