Infotainment shutdown

S

simonali

Driving to work last night listening to me choons and then suddenly silence and the screen retracts. The song that was playing was still displayed on the DIS, but stereo weren't playing nuffink. As there was nowhere to stop I held down the volume knob for 10 seconds or so and this seemed to revive it. Common occurence??

I would be taking it back to dealers to get that checked.

I have had the MMI crash a couple of times in my previous car. Sometimes when I've been doing something like as simple as changing radio stations, I've had the screen freeze and the MMI screen goes blank. It takes some time to boot back up, like it is resetting itself.

I've also had it once before with the ignition off, I could not get the screen to go down. No power on the screen, just blank and it would not hide away.

I wouldn't be too concerned, I'd say there has just been a clash in the program like with mine. It has also happened to my granddads car, where he couldn't get the screen to come up on one occasion. When I looked the next day, it worked fine.

If it happens again within a short period of time, take it in but otherwise I doubt it will happen again.

Actually I have experienced a funny a few times.
MMI off
Reverse out of the garage
Select D to leave the drive
Switch radio on (while screen is still up for the reversing camera)
Goes to the correct station for a split second then goes to AM!!

Haven't really worried about it.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Ghost symptoms lol, its happened in my car twice, l had to switch off the engine waited 10 restart all was fine,it's happened via memory card and cd

I've had it happen to me maybe 5 or 6 times, and always in the same place (M1 southbound somewhere around Dunstable). Must be something on the nav screen that it tries to display when it gets close enough and crashes it, at a guess.

After all it's a computer. We know they are female, so don't try to understand them:blahblah1:

Reactions: Daveotto, Sandra, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Driving to work last night listening to me choons and then suddenly silence and the screen retracts. The song that was playing was still displayed on the DIS, but stereo weren't playing nuffink. As there was nowhere to stop I held down the volume knob for 10 seconds or so and this seemed to revive it. Common occurence??

Could be the cars way of telling you that your taste in music ain't great? :shrug: :p

Reactions: richinsoton, simonali, AudiNutta and 1 other person
Happened a few times in the 2016 PFL I had until recently, and in my new car. Also happens in my renault, both my old Mazda's, and my transit....

T'other day my MMI screen (PFL) would not appear out of the dash no matter what I did. I could hear the music and parking sensors etc but just couldn't get the screen up. Drove for 5 mins and shut the car down and restarted it and hey presto it now works fine and hasn't happened since. Think these computers just have the odd 'moment' to themselves.

Next time it happens, just reset it by pressing "menu", click wheel and the upper right button all together for like 10 secs on PFL, not sure about FL, I guess "menu", click wheel and right button? Or like the above, just turn the car off for at least 15 mins to let everything shutdown before restarting the car.

Reactions: Pook
Had my car serviced the other week and I'm sure the stereo isn't as loud as before it went in. Could they have done a firmware update on it to make this happen? It was always annoyingly quiet upon starting the engine, but it's barely audible now and I have to have the volume nearly all the way up now when driving, whereas before I'd have it on about 23-24....

Had my car serviced the other week and I'm sure the stereo isn't as loud as before it went in. Could they have done a firmware update on it to make this happen? It was always annoyingly quiet upon starting the engine, but it's barely audible now and I have to have the volume nearly all the way up now when driving, whereas before I'd have it on about 23-24....

What audio source are you using? If it's your phone then maybe the phone's volume is set lower than before? Or what speaker system do you have? I don't even have B&O and just *** but could never go beyond 1/3 of the volume with SD card source...

Always use the SD card and the files I'm listening to are the same ones as before the car went in, so their volume can't have changed...

Go into the green engineering screen and you can raise the starting volume or use vcd.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The MMI units in both PFL and FL cars are basically nVidia PC's, running the QNX OS, and just like every PC they can crash. I would monitor the situation and if you experience more than 2 issues within a 2 week period get the car checked over by Audi. There may not be a software update available but they can always restore the current firmware in order to rule out any corruption issues.

Go into the green engineering screen and you can raise the starting volume or use vcd.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Tell me more. The VW and SEAT units I've had in the past let you do it without this hassle...

VCDS, you mean? I need to get the old cable out to put back the other mods Audi undid when it was in...

I have a 2015 1.4 s-line. MMI has so far only had a mind of it's own once (spuriously popped up on its own a while after I'd used the button to retract it), but even though I accept it's SD based I still find it horrendously slow for almost everything, to the point I don't even use the Sat Nav (takes too long to set up a destination - a pause after almost every click, voice commands are unreliable etc). Having a phone (in my case Android) running Google Maps, Spotify, etc etc, I find is such a better user experience it negates the disadvantage of messing with a suitable phone mount, charging cable etc. I use the MMI mainly to change car settings, and it usually idles just showing the track info for what the phone is playing over Bluetooth :-(

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be a mod to have the MMI screen retracted (but MMI system still active/not completely switched off) by default and have the screen raised with the button when when you need it. Like the auto Start/Stop it would be good to have an option for this stuff to be quiescent by default and activated on demand rather than the other way round.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardT
I've had a weird one where everything was fine one night... parked up.... went to bed (I got home so not in the car!). Next morning got in the car.... everything had gone from English to German! !! I can read extremely basic German so got it back to English easy enough but confused me!

I've had a weird one where everything was fine one night... parked up.... went to bed (I got home so not in the car!). Next morning got in the car.... everything had gone from English to German! !! I can read extremely basic German so got it back to English easy enough but confused me!

Now that's an odd one.

Reactions: amit87
Phone and car weren't talking to one another when I got in it today. No idea if the phone or the car instigated the fall out, but my phone still had Audi MMI in the paired devices before I had to re-pair them...