Injector Seals or Tandem Pump?

Mario

Reaction score
First of all, car is a 2006 A4 2.0 TDI S-Line 170 bhp with a BRD engine.

For a while now I have had a very strong smell from the exhaust that is only noticeable when outside the car or if the car is sat stationary for a few minutes it starts to seep inside, not noticeable at traffic lights, but if parked up for a while with the engine running it eventually seeps in and it's a really strong exhaust smell that wasn't there before.

I have also noticed that sometimes when I go for a drive and the engine has been sat for a while it has a bit of a misfire / hesitation when cruising at a constant revs. Once the engine is warmed up this goes away.

So I decided to have a look into this today and when I had a look inside the fuel filter it is black as can be. I have not poured it out into a clear cup yet to get a proper look (not enough time today), but you can see the fuel probably should not be that colour.

So it looks like a fault with either the Tandem Pump (leaking internal seal) or the Injector Seals. Neither of these are particularly cheap fixes and getting the injectors in / out looks like a nightmare to be honest.

Injector seals are about £30 a set, for 4 injectors that's £120 + what appears to be a lot of swearing in order to get them in and out, oh and a few more £££ in bolts that are meant to be renewed and not re-used as they are torqued to yield.

The Tandem pump is £250 in parts (new) or about £80 for a used one which may have the same issues, but it looks like a 30 minute job.

So...I don't want to do both of these jobs if I can help it. Is there any real way to determine if I need to go one route over the other?

Oh, and the car starts on the button every time, zero cold-start issues which a lot of people seem to complain about when they have oil in their fuel.

Trying to keep costs and knuckle scraping to a minimum here....

Any advice appreciated!

I have had a similar concern since i bought mine at 40kmile, Shortly after the injector recall.... but have never worked it out either.. now at 108k miles..
I get the smell when stationary from time to time.
Thought It could be the dpf at one point.
Does it have a poor idle and run slightly lumpy up to 2k rpms between 50-80degrees.. with a hesitation about 1800rpm
Then run absolutely fine when warm?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Idle is fine and runs totally fine apart from occasionally I get a hesitation / misfire when the engine is cold and I am driving at a constant RPM (under 2000 RPM). It does not happen all the time and it is not that bad, but is noticeable.

As I've said, I have oil in my fuel which I'm 99% sure is the problem causing both the smell and the hesitation, but is there any way to confirm if the oil is leaking into the fuel via the Injector Seals or the Tandem Pump?

I don't want to change 1 only to realise it is the other one causing the oil to get into the fuel.

Hi Mario, did you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I have the exact same symptoms.

Nope, I replaced the Tandem Pump but was still the same. Couldn’t be bothered with injector seals.

Just lived with it until I sold the car about a month ago by which point it was leaking oil and had even more issues so wasn’t worth it.

Thanks for the reply, I'm leaning towards injector seals, looks like a ***** of a job though. The only difference for me is no significant amount of oil in the fuel filter.

Injectors are easy removed.

Easily done with very basic tools

You’ll need a ‘Triple Square” Set from ebay/amazon which are cheap, a basic socket set, some nylon rope and length of wood for leverage.

I’ll have a look for a video showing the technique.

It’s easier than you think. I removed a set recently

Much appreciated. Thanks. Think I'll give it a go