Installed a tow bar and now it won't start...

Avanturous

Reaction score
B7 A4 avant 2.0 tdi. 2005.

I installed a tow bar and electrics today and now I'm having troubles. I assume the two are related but not confirmed.

My issue is the car won't start.

Ignition powers up Air Con, stereo etc. The abs light comes on with ignition and then turns off (I think that's normal but can't remember.) once the glow plug light is off, I attempt to start the engine and the Abs light comes back on and nothing happens, no starter motor. Its like it's immobilised.

No dash other than warning lights. No Lcd screen.

My boot also won't open.

Interior lights don't come on when door is opened. But with the door open for a while as I checked all the fuses, the interior lights came on and off seemingly by themselves.

Remote central locking will not work.

I read somewhere it could be the battery. True?

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks

Check &/or charge battery, then you'll know.

Check &/or charge battery, then you'll know.
That's obviously top of the list tomorrow. I charged it this week so i doubt its low, cant rule out faulty batt until tomorrow though. I was looking for a deeper insight if anybody has any to offer.

Do all the symptoms fit a batt issue?
Could it be related to immob?
Could an abs sensor or brake light/switch issue stop the car starting? (also read this)

Insufficient battery voltage can cause all sorts of random issues. Try disconnecting the battery or remove it while its on charge. Sometimes they just need time to sort themselves out after things have been messed with

B7 A4 avant 2.0 tdi. 2005.

I installed a tow bar and electrics today and now I'm having troubles. I assume the two are related but not confirmed.

My issue is the car won't start.

Ignition powers up Air Con, stereo etc. The abs light comes on with ignition and then turns off (I think that's normal but can't remember.) once the glow plug light is off, I attempt to start the engine and the Abs light comes back on and nothing happens, no starter motor. Its like it's immobilised.

No dash other than warning lights. No Lcd screen.

My boot also won't open.

Interior lights don't come on when door is opened. But with the door open for a while as I checked all the fuses, the interior lights came on and off seemingly by themselves.

Remote central locking will not work.

I read somewhere it could be the battery. True?

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi mate. I am experiencing the exact same issues after installing a Westfalia towbar and full harness. Can you please advise what you did to get it solved. Thank you.

Disconnect any adapters, wiring & see if it starts.

Did you check all fuses?

Was it a westfalia wiring loom?

I've fitted the dedicated jut from pf jones and everything worked fine after coding, no issues starting before coding tho

Hi all. Happy to report that my car starts and everything now works except adaptive cruise control (ACC). I think that the Westfalia kit is of high quality. - I believe that it could be OEM for Audi?

My problem was related to the original wires removed from pins 1 & 2 on the blue plug on the Body Control Module (BCM) - my fault as I had incorrectly inserted the new Westfalia loom wires into pin numbers 17 & 18. As stated earlier, all now works fine apart from ACC.

My worry at this stage are the original wires that have to be removed from pins 12 & 17 on the black BCM connector for Brake & Charging respectively. The colours of the wires that have to be removed do not tie up with the Westfalia loom wires that have to be inserted.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

These are the error messages shown in the cluster.

Attachments

• 20211221_212607.jpg
    20211221_212607.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
  • 20211221_212624.jpg
    20211221_212624.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
  • 20211221_212630.jpg
    20211221_212630.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20211221_212645.jpg
    20211221_212645.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
I assume you have a different platform car as that isn't a b7 dash layout.
Wiring won't be the same if its not a B7 as OE wire in looms are platform and variant specific

you'll need to check with the correct wiring schematic /layout for your platform (b9) to ensure you get the towbar loom wired in correctly without errors.
also coded in correctly.