Installing 99.5 Tail Lights

diarmuid

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently trying to install 99.5 tail lights in my 98 A4.

I've used the following link as guidance:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext38.shtml

I went to fit the lights earlier this evening but I couldn't for the life of me get the wires out of their slots in order to change them. I didn't want to do any damage so I lef the old lenses on for the time being.

Do the wires just pull out or is their a clip to to undo before you do so?

I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks

They will come out with a very slim flat blade screwdriver but it takes a lot of fiddling and pushing and pulling but eventually they will come out.
Don't be tempted to force them too hard or you will break the plastic inside the connector.

yup, be careful as its hassle. I broke one and had to solder it back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

Tried again earlier this evening but still can't get them out (think I've actually damaged one of the wires).

Is the metal part (i.e. wire etc.) meant to come out completely or is there a metal "socket" remaining when you pull out the wire?

I'm almost tempeted to break open the plastic plug and buy a new one from Audi.

Thanks in advance for replies

the wires attach to the metal connectors which then fit into the plastic. I used a combination of needle nose pliers and small flat screwdriver.

from the outside end push the connector in (place blade across the connector rather than slide inside the middle. Alternatively grip the metal from inside with needle nose and yank out- thats what I did, bent a few and soldered one wire back on but is fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif