Instrument panel died. No warning lights, no guages - nada

rider000

Reaction score
My wife went to use my A3 tis morning and broke it. She didn't get very far as it would start and then immediately die and the instrument panel was dead. There isn't actually much on solving this problem and what there is happens to be all over the place from replace batteries, replace alternators, replace the ECU, get the dash fixed, get the dash replaced and programmed.

So here is how it went for me. Instrument panel out, disconnected and then reconnected. Still nothing. Lights fine, fan fine, starter fine, central locking fine, radio fine but no dash and car just died straight after firing up. Disconnected the battery to reset the ECU and whilst waiting, checked all the fuses in car and in the engine bay, every one as there is no reference to a instrument panel fuse or a fuse diagram you can get to online. All fuses OK. Reconnected the battery = nada just the radio in safe mode now.

Figured the instrument cluster must have crashed out so located a few companies online that could fix your panel. God they all have really horrible customer reviews! Time to push the car out of the way from in front of the garage so I can at least use my play car whilst the Audi heap is immobilised. Noticed the power windows not working, checked other things no electric mirrors either. So now its clearly more than just the dash so back online to seek out more remedies. Found one that said to remove both battery terminals and short the terminals (not the battery ones obviously!) after 5 minutes. Refitted the instrument binnacle while the time passed by. Reconnected the battery and all was well. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree like nothing had happened for the last 10 hours of frustration.

There is lots of talk about broken wires or water damage causing dash crash problems. The car is parked up outside but then its has been for the last 3 years. It has been raining yesterday but then it has been raining pretty much non stop for the last 6 months. I'm hoping this is a one off melt down and not the start of a recurring problem. If it is, the Audi is going. If anyone else has the same issues then try the full battery disconnect and terminal short, it worked for me - this time.

It's a good trick it discharges the electrical components and put them "as new"

No coding required. All working fine.

From reading up extensively on people suffering similar issues today no one mentioned coding unless faulty gauges have been replaced with new ones or a salvage binnacle had been fitted.

Hey mate old thread rejuvenation:). I got a cheap 12 plate and two days in have the same issue with the exception my mirrors work. Was find when it was delivered and fine when I was washing. And cleaning it out. Sunday dead. Fixed a busted door wire and disconnected the battery and dash pod but no luck. Will try the shorting our tomorrow. Did yours stay fixed

Mine went a little while ago and I found a guy called Patrik who owns and runs a company called Cartronics and he was able to copy the info from my old cluster and put it on a new “used” one. Highly recommend though it wasn’t cheap but a damn site cheaper than getting a brand new one plus without all the hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audisportconvertible
Hi I’ve managed to get to the point where the car works reliably and just has no dials so am sending off to a similar form called ECU tuning who give a lifetime warranty on fixing dash pods.
My other issues were related to the hood and windows not working but I noted today without the dials connected you can only do doors off the key in the door the buttons don’t work so I assume there’s a partial and full failure intermittent on the dash pod that caused all of it. Ie hood users the same route to tell the windows to drop for the hood to work.

Collected tomorrow but DHL will feed back. Thanks mate

Hi Rider000, how did you car go? Its been a couple of years since this happened to you but now its happening to my a3 2015 as well. When shorting the terminals it did not affect any other electronic on the car?

It "cleans" the electrics, won't do any damage