Insurance and No Claims Bonus ?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
Hi guys

I got asked a question today that I was unable to answer for find online, so I though I would ask on here.

A friend of mine has 3 separate insurance policies on 3 cars.

On one of these policies he has his partner as a named driver but his no claims bonus is attached to one of the other two policies.

Now come the question....lol

His partner has bumped into a car and the driver is claiming for the damage through their insurance.

Does anyone know how this will affect his no claims bonus as his no claims bonus is attached to a different policy?

The NCD for the insurance policy that the bump occurred with will be affected (e.g. drop by 2/3 years or however the insurer states). This is assuming the NCD is not protected as you haven't mentioned it.

The other policies will keep their NCD, but because he has to answer the 'have you had any accidents/claims' question as 'yes', the premiums will reflect this (hint: they won't go down).

Reactions: A3 T
The NCD for the insurance policy that the bump occurred with will be affected (e.g. drop by 2/3 years or however the insurer states). This is assuming the NCD is not protected as you haven't mentioned it.

The other policies will keep their NCD, but because he has to answer the 'have you had any accidents/claims' question as 'yes', the premiums will reflect this (hint: they won't go down).

Thanks for the reply ;)

I don't think any of the no claims is protected, but I've always found that one a bit strange as like you said they ask you if you've been in any accidents anyway.

So he will keep the no claims he has on the other car?

I think he has full no claims on the "main car" that wasn't in the bump so that's some good news.

I thought that maybe it would be his name address on some sort of main database for no claims...lol

Sorry but what did you mean by "hint: they won't go down"?

Hi.
If he has 3 separate polices the NCD would only be affected on the actual policy where the bump occurred.
Regards,
Dan.

Sorry but what did you mean by "hint: they won't go down"?

Future quotes and policies will be more expensive based on the fact that a claim has been made (even if it's on another policy).
Think of the NCD as a '% discount off the end premium' - the premium will still rise even if the NCD is intact.