Insurance: "Is your car fitted with a tracking device?"

KBB

Reaction score
Hi!

I think the title says it all. So every time you ask an insurance quote there is this question. I have an S5 Sportback, and I can indeed check the location of my car. Is this class as a "tracking device" when I'm insuring the car?

I think the answer is "is it an insurance approved tracker"

I would think not - I know when I bought my A5 my existing insurer wouldn't insure the new car unless I had a tracker fitted.

I suspect that because the eSIM is effectively doing the tracking, and because its in a known, fixed, place a thief could easily disable / destroy the 'tracking' system.
The tracker system people always boast how their device is hidden in the car.

Unfortunately, this can be turned off by deleting the primary user, thereby stopping anyone from locating the vehicle.

Insurance companies will only accept a dedicated, stand alone, tracker to provide a discount.

Well thats a shame...
Thanks for the replies!

Does a tracking device actually lower the premium?
I paid an obscene price for my A5 Sportback @190PS, I was wondering if professionally fitted tracking device would actually help with the price.

Does a tracking device actually lower the premium?
I paid an obscene price for my A5 Sportback @190PS, I was wondering if professionally fitted tracking device would actually help with the price.

How much was obscene?

Generally a tracker reduces your premium but it varies from insurer to insurer. As @thefunkygibbon says, ring your insurer to find out.

Is the App protected in some way so if you phone is stolen they can't locate your car and help themselves to its contents?

Is the App protected in some way so if you phone is stolen they can't locate your car and help themselves to its contents?

No , but you should have adequate protection on your phone so that anyone who steals your phone shouldn't be able to access anything anyway.

My insurance said you will only need one if it's requested by themselves and that having one won't affect the premium? Seems a bit fishy...

The tracking feature through the app doesn't count as a tracker as the car only advertises its location once it is stationary. For insurance it has a Thatcham Category 1 fitted alarm and immobiliser - nothing to rave about as it is the standard for all new cars.

There is no hardware based tracker fitted in the car.

My insurance said you will only need one if it's requested by themselves and that having one won't affect the premium? Seems a bit fishy...

Fishy in what way?

My original insurer insisted I had a tracker fitted to stay with them with the new A5 due to its value.

I declined and changed insurer but this was simply their terms - nothing fishy...

Hi,
Each insurer has there own interpretation of a tracker so you would need to check.
Regards,
Dan.