Insurance - Mileage?

A3 Sport

Reaction score
What happens if I go over the amount of miles Im insured for? For example, what happens if I am insured for 6k miles and do 8k?

Thanks,

You need to let your insurer know and they will adjust your mileage allocation.

Worst case scenario is that if you are caught you will have your insurance cancelled and you will have to inform companies when getting quotes, this will have a very negative impact on the price of quotes, if indeed you still get quoted. If you have a claim and it is proven that you are over your mileage limit, you will not be payed out for the claim.

Ohh right, thankyou. So how would the insurance company find out how many miles I had covered since the policy was taken out? And what if I had already paid the years insurance in full and wanted to raise the mileage allowance.. would they ask for an additional payment?

Ohh right, thankyou. So how would the insurance company find out how many miles I had covered since the policy was taken out? And what if I had already paid the years insurance in full and wanted to raise the mileage allowance.. would they ask for an additional payment?

Some companies ask for a milage reading. Most dont but say for example you had a 3000 per annum milage allocation and then had a claim, the insurance company may ask to see your old certificates of insurance if the suspect foul play, if they see that you go over your mileage allocation as per old MOT certificates, it is unlikely they will pay out for a claim.

Whether you will be charged extra is down to the individual insurance company. You may find it is just an admin fee being charged.

Just a thought i presume they do keep milegage records on computer??

aah but would it,yes it would say how many miles the vehicles covered from one date to the next but it wont say who has done the miles.
the question i was asked on taking my insurance was whats your APPROXIMATE annual mileage,so i reply 10,000,so if the car does 15,000 it doesnt mean that i have done 15,000,i may have only done 7.5k,my wife who is also a named driver may have done 2.5k,my daughter occasionaly uses my car when she needs to travel further distance than what she trusts her own car to do and she would be driving it under her own policy,she may do 2k,my dad may similarly borrow my car under his policy and he may do 2.5k.going back to what i was asked when i took out my policy surely i am actually below my approximated annual mileage?

first time ever i had a mileage declaration form which i have to state my annual mileage.

i dont understand how checking an old MOT certificate would reveal all, for example if my MOT said one date then 6 months later i renewed my insurance with another company and declared i would drive 5k miles, how would they know how miles i have driven during that 6 months on my old policy?

Sorry for reviving this i have only just seen it. Whoever replied on here for sky insurance is talking bs how can you find out how many miles a driver has covered? As said above the mileage could have been covered by several drivers as anyone with the correct cover can drive other vehicles on their own insurance its just another way for them to make money out of honest people as for checking old mots have insurance companies got the power to check the database? As its my understanding that only the police can do this although i am not certain on this. The point i am trying to make is dont believe what any insurance company tells you as to me its obvious they will say that they can check certain things to scare you into paying more as its all about making a profit. Just my opinion.

Sorry for reviving this i have only just seen it. Whoever replied on here for sky insurance is talking bs how can you find out how many miles a driver has covered? As said above the mileage could have been covered by several drivers as anyone with the correct cover can drive other vehicles on their own insurance its just another way for them to make money out of honest people as for checking old mots have insurance companies got the power to check the database? As its my understanding that only the police can do this although i am not certain on this. The point i am trying to make is dont believe what any insurance company tells you as to me its obvious they will say that they can check certain things to scare you into paying more as its all about making a profit. Just my opinion.

Harsh! I've always had to fill in a form or declare a mileage over the phone to the insurers on the date the car insurance starts. Surely in the event of a claim where your car is insured for 5k miles and you have only done 4k, but your best mate has borrowed your car and done 2k miles making the total of 6k miles, then it is upto YOU to prove your mate have done 2k of the miles, not the insurance provider?

Just my opinion of course, and I have no dealing with insurance companies, I buy it the same as most people do.

Harsh! I've always had to fill in a form or declare a mileage over the phone to the insurers on the date the car insurance starts. Surely in the event of a claim where your car is insured for 5k miles and you have only done 4k, but your best mate has borrowed your car and done 2k miles making the total of 6k miles, then it is upto YOU to prove your mate have done 2k of the miles, not the insurance provider?

Just my opinion of course, and I have no dealing with insurance companies, I buy it the same as most people do.

Yeah it is a bit harsh lol. What im saying is when i have taken insurance out i have not told them the mileage of the vehicle so over a year they dont know what mileage the car has done unless they can check the mot database which i dont think they can do this as im sure only the police have access i could be wrong though. But you are right it would be the responsibility of the owner to prove whos done what mileage but realistically if i let someone else drive my car i wouldnt keep a record of the mileage that they had done and im sure others wont either so i dont think they would do anything about it. Also i doubt anyone knows how many miles they will do in a year unless they are psychic lol you have a rough idea but you could end up doing more or less and i dont think they will reduce the premium if it was less would they? I personally have never had a problem with this or have i heard off anyone else having a problem but its just my opinion and it doesnt mean im right. If anyone other than an insurance company can prove me wrong and they havnt let the insurance know of the mileage of the car then i would like to hear of it.

Yeah it is a bit harsh lol. What im saying is when i have taken insurance out i have not told them the mileage of the vehicle so over a year they dont know what mileage the car has done unless they can check the mot database which i dont think they can do this as im sure only the police have access i could be wrong though. But you are right it would be the responsibility of the owner to prove whos done what mileage but realistically if i let someone else drive my car i wouldnt keep a record of the mileage that they had done and im sure others wont either so i dont think they would do anything about it. Also i doubt anyone knows how many miles they will do in a year unless they are psychic lol you have a rough idea but you could end up doing more or less and i dont think they will reduce the premium if it was less would they? I personally have never had a problem with this or have i heard off anyone else having a problem but its just my opinion and it doesnt mean im right. If anyone other than an insurance company can prove me wrong and they havnt let the insurance know of the mileage of the car then i would like to hear of it.

Forgot to add, that I've always been asked to provide a mileage reading for cars I have a limited mileage on, like my S3 is insured for 5k miles per annum, but I only do 2-3k. But with my Passat, I insure it for 10k miles annually, and that car is not required to submit a mileage.

Forgot to add, that I've always been asked to provide a mileage reading for cars I have a limited mileage on, like my S3 is insured for 5k miles per annum, but I only do 2-3k. But with my Passat, I insure it for 10k miles annually, and that car is not required to submit a mileage.
Its fair enough on a limited mileage policy i didnt think of that. On the average policy though i dont think its an issue as i would think they would ask for the mileage as well.

Has whoever replied for skyinsurance before got no more to say on the issues mentioned? or are they ignoring this topic now?

If anyone other than an insurance company can prove me wrong and they havnt let the insurance know of the mileage of the car then i would like to hear of it.
Perhaps i shouldn't have said this lol.