Insurance Question

Audi Ashley

Reaction score
So Guys, a strange one but im wondeing if someone can suggest options.

I bought my car last year a couple of weeks before Christmas and obvisouly insured it straight away.

So my renewal is due a couple of weeks before christmas. This is not a ideal time for car insurance renewal.

Can anyone suggest a way to possible move the date. The only thing I can think of is pay monthly.

The only way I can think of which isn't ideal would be to cancel your insurance and take out a policy in say November. Not ideal as you'd lose a year of NCD.

I'm not sure if you can change the monthly payment date as it's obviously paid in advance so first payment would be due within a couple of days of renewal if paying monthly.

Or just pay on a credit card to defer the actual payment to following month.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sometimes it's worthwhile paying cancellation charges and moving early if you find another insurer that is much cheaper than your current one. If you're paying monthly they tend to charge one month's instalment as penalty but obviously check your documentation as this varies massively I would think.

Just buy your new policy in November to start when your existing one runs out. I think I did this with my mums a while ago when I was helping her renew. Failing this, you can get a policy when you like no? If you bought a new policy today, doesn’t mean the existing one or new one is invalidated?

So Guys, a strange one but im wondeing if someone can suggest options.

I bought my car last year a couple of weeks before Christmas and obvisouly insured it straight away.

So my renewal is due a couple of weeks before christmas. This is not a ideal time for car insurance renewal.

Can anyone suggest a way to possible move the date. The only thing I can think of is pay monthly.

It all depends how much no claims bonus you have. If you cancelled today and pay the admin fee( normally £30)you effectively lose 9/12 of you ncb you made this year. If you have 9 or more years that won’t make a difference to your next policy but if you only have a few years then losing out a years ncb isn’t worth it.
Only way of changing the start date is cancelling and buying another policy.

Reactions: Adam14
Failing this, you can get a policy when you like no? If you bought a new policy today, doesn’t mean the existing one or new one is invalidated?
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly or not, but you are not allowed to have 2 active insurance policies for the same vehicle.

Reactions: TonkS3, Adam14 and Ormesome
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly or not, but you are not allowed to have 2 active insurance policies for the same vehicle.
Correct

@Audi Ashley - if you have other cars in the household, another way to move your renewal date is to add your car mid-term to an existing policy with another insurer, in which case they add your car pro rata (i.e. charge you for the time added) until the other vehicle's policy expires, so that both cars end up with the same renewal date. Though you still may end up losing a year's no claims discount (NCD); having said that, some insurers may give you a year if you're more than 9/10 months into the policy (you can ask, worst case they say no).

Reactions: Ormesome
Thanks Guys, some good advice here. I dont have another car but I like the idea of buying a new policy at the end of November to start after my old policy ends. :)

Ron is spot on - very poor advice from Ormesome

as statd if you have 9 years or more the loss of one year no claims becomes irrelevant but you will need a letter form your current insirance stating how many years no claims you have if you change providers

Reactions: Adam14
Some insurers let you get terms up to 60 days before renewal, and I'm sure if you wanted to pay early they wouldn't say no!

Ron is spot on - very poor advice from Ormesome

as statd if you have 9 years or more the loss of one year no claims becomes irrelevant but you will need a letter form your current insirance stating how many years no claims you have if you change providers

Cut it out mate. I don’t live in the UK so not sure on the T&Cs there nowadays. Anyway, not poor advice and as the link below states, it’s NOT illegal. Don’t be bitter and bring your anger of other posts in other threads to other people’s.

https://www.keithmichaels.co.uk/news/can-you-have-2-policies-on-1-car/

Anyway, as I stated before, just get a policy beforehand with a start date for when your policy expires. Or save up now if that’s the issue. Perhaps call your existing insurer? They might have a work around that is good for you?

I cancelled my insurance when I sold my S3 it was a lot cheaper to cancel and get a new policy for my S5. I got a refund on the monthly payment made on S3 insurance but of course lost 6 months of NCB, however the saving on insurance made up for that

As others have said it is illegal in the UK to have 2 active policies for the same car. Easiest option as others have said is to get a quote month before renewal to be effective for renewal date and ask to pay it then (month early).

There are some policies available that last 9 months but give a full year of no claims. Meant for accelerating building up no claims and obv overall cost is higher but no harm you using it to move your insurance renewal date forward 3 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cancelled my insurance when I sold my S3 it was a lot cheaper to cancel and get a new policy for my S5. I got a refund on the monthly payment made on S3 insurance but of course lost 6 months of NCB, however the saving on insurance made up for that

As others have said it is illegal in the UK to have 2 active policies for the same car. Easiest option as others have said is to get a quote month before renewal to be effective for renewal date and ask to pay it then (month early).

Why do people keep saying that it is illegal when a simple google search proves that it isn’t?

Reactions: Phutters
Insurer will not insure a car twice over - it’s that simple

So would mean a Separate insurance from another company whilst running existing policy so introducing more costs which the OP is trying to avoid

Insurer will not insure a car twice over - it’s that simple

So would mean a Separate insurance from another company whilst running existing policy so introducing more costs which the OP is trying to avoid

Let's get our facts straight shall we, It's NOT illegal to insure your car with 2 policies! FACT! Not advisable is totally different to illegal. It is NOT ADVISABLE to have 2 policies as then you are insured with 2 companies and depending on which company, they will have different terms regarding the % they cover if another policy is taken out at the same time as with the current company. Various links below to explain the fact.

So the option the OP has are these:
  • Take out a new policy in November and put start date to when the existing policy ends, if this is possible.
  • Double up insurance as per the examples below
  • Cancel existing insurance and possibly loose the whole or part bonus of this yrs insurance plus maybe cancelation fee.
  • Cancel Xmas!

From Admiral:

Can you insure a car twice?
It's certainly not impossible, and it's not illegal, but that doesn't mean that you should choose to do it.

https://www.admiral.com/magazine/guides/car-insurance/why-you-shouldnt-double-insurance-cover

https://www.thinkmoney.co.uk/news-advice/can-you-insure-the-same-car-twice-0-8531-0.htm

https://www.gocompare.com/travel-insurance/double-cover/

https://www.autoinsurance.org/can-i-have-two-auto-insurance-policies/

You could purchase a 10 month policy (many companies offer this) and it credits you with a full years no claims. Then your next renewal either do it again to move it further back or revert back to a full 12 months :)

Hi.
When you need to re-insure your car please feel free to give us a try if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

Hello,

We don't do a 10 month policy unfortunately. I'm not sure under what circumstances a 10 month policy would be required. We do short term cover and annual cover where you will invariably earn No Claims Bonus but under a 10 month policy a lot of insurers wouldn't allocate you a years NCB as it falls short.

The benefits of Adrian Flux is that we provide a club discount for Audi-Sport.net members' and we provide bespoke cover - i.e modifications are covered like-for-like as well as other benefits - free legal expenses cover being one.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Dan

Reactions: KenL
Years ago I got a 10 month policy from admiral. Think it was called a no claims booster or something like that. Basically get 1 year ncb for 10months policy. It’s good if you are young and need to make up some more ncb quickly otherwise it wasn’t much different in cost to a full year.

Admiral do a ten month policy, they offered it me when I complained about a renewal price, they couldn’t quite work out that it was effectively the same number just 10/12’s, so I went elsewhere.

In my neck of the woods (Canada) it is possible to insure a vehicle for 3 or 6 months and then renew for up to a 1 year period. This can be done at any time during the one year period and has a minimal administration cost. This is often done by seniors who travel to a sunnier clime during the winter. They just purchase storage insurance for the time they are away.

Failing to grasp why a 10month policy would help the OP out in this instance?!! The end date of the existing policy and start date of a 10month policy would still be the same! Unless we are talking about next year so the 10month policy ends in October.

I take it you wont find a 10 month quote via price comparison sites ?

I believe you can sometimes, but rarely see them, usually best going direct, best ones I found are Admiral or Elephant (Albeit the same company I think)