Insurance Renewal

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
Just got my renewal in from Direct Line for the S5 and, surprise surprise, they're penalising the loyalty of being with them for years by bumping my policy up to £698 and I'm sick of it. Especially when you call them every year and without batting an eye the chop a decent amount off it confirming they were trying to shaft me yet again.
I got equivalent quotes of £398 (RAC) and £ are £406 (LV).
I'll obviously only have this for a month or so until the new S3 arrives which they're at £318 and £335 respectively.
Anyone any experience of these insurance companies, good or bad?

LV are highly rated company, I was going to use them with my S3 but they wanted a tracker on the car before giving me a quote!

As for insurance renewal in general, I just canceled my house insurance with Aviva as they put it up! I got the same cover with AXA for £100 less (car is also with AXA).
When I called Aviva to cancel they wanted to know why I was leaving, when I said I had a better quote they said they could do something but before they did they wanted to know how much the new quote was, I wouldn't tell them lol. He then said they can drop it £20-£30 but they would need to know the new quote first...I just told them to cancel it. No way was I going to let them know what I had just got it for.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I don't know how they get away with it, I swapped my mrs from an Audi TT sport, to a golf gtd (same engine). They wanted an extra £130 for the remaining. 6 months. I asked why seen as the golf is 5 off groups lower. They tried to tell me a load of cobblers about how new the car is and the cost of it. I explained the gtd was newer and less expensive and after arguing with her for 5 mins and her "chatting with her manager" they just charged me £15 admin. Theives!!!

However back on topic, I just use whoever comes out cheapest on compare the meerkat

Reactions: TDI-line, Audi Bairn and Daveotto
Just got my renewal in from Direct Line for the S5 and, surprise surprise, they're penalising the loyalty of being with them for years by bumping my policy up to £698 and I'm sick of it. Especially when you call them every year and without batting an eye the chop a decent amount off it confirming they were trying to shaft me yet again.
I'll obviously only have this for a month or so until the new S3 arrives which they're at £318 and £335 respectively.

Can't help directly, but maybe worth finding out if any of them belong to a bigger "group" of companies which is quite often the case.

Thanks guys. I tend to stick to the more well known names as I (maybe wrongly) assume you'll get a better service in the unfortunate cases where you need their help.
In fairness, Direct Line have been great when I've needed them although it's always been the liability of the third party which no doubt helps.
There were actually cheaper quotes than I've stated but with companies I've never even heard of.
Almost certain I'll be changing though as there's no way they'll come down anywhere near enough to make me stay.

Reactions: Gordo77
I use topcashback if possible, end up getting 35-65 back on a new policy, but check it's not expensive as others otherwise it's wasted money.

I change every year without fail. Insurance is just a legal requirement for me, I avoid using it like the plague.
Bump up the excess and lower the premium. If I lost my no claims I guess I'd be paying several hundred more the following year so anything under £500 I may as well pay myself. Not an exact science but its a general idea.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, deanshaw24 and TDI-line
I have two policies with LV - every year I cancel the renewal quote - get another online quote with them (nearly always cheaper than the renewal) and get cashback via quidco - its all a bit of a faff but I have done alright with cashback!

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
Couple of pointers here.
If you want to know how good a motor policy is (and trust me - if you claim you will) then get hold of the defaqto ratings.
Its independent and rates companies across numerous criteria.5 stars is the highest rating.

Secondly, if you are going on price comparison websites- use a few.
They are just like old fashioned insurance brokers getting commission, but tend to have a limited panel. Different sites have different deals. They don't tell you this.

Lastly, they are not always thieves. Most are losing money currently because of all the false claims being made. It's the insurance fraudsters who are the thieves and bump premiums up.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and richinsoton
I was with LV for 3 years, then they also put their price up! They did provide free courtesy car cover when your car was at a dealer.

Our two cars are with Directline. However I have found their service pretty poor. Issued my insurance with the wrong car model on it. Also, they are charging more for my wife's Citigo than my A3 - we both have full no claims!

Hi, have you tried us for insurance yet? If you wanted to PM me I'd be happy to arrange a quotation for you.

Kind Regards
Dan