Intake Vwr R600 vs Forge vs X34

S3 Turbo

Reaction score
Hi!

Have decided to buy a closed intake for the S3. Mainly interested in performance benefits (together with jb1 'stage 1').

After lots of searching and review reading, following are the candidates:

Vwr r600 + silicon inlet hose
034 motorsports X34
Forge Carbon

Both the vwr and x34 have good reputation.
Not much info to be found for the Forge, but it looks badass hehe...

Any opinion is welcome!

Btw, realize downpipe is more horsepower for the bucks but too early right now...

Am also aware of the intake thread here but not much info to be found on newer intakes such as X34 and the Forge...

VWR R600 all day long... Largest filter surface area, neatest box with best airflow.

Reactions: S3 Turbo
I am very impressed with what I've read about the Vwr, but to elaborate...

Why do you think the Vwr has better air flow then the others?

Because of largest filter area and largest box without obstacles?

Looking at the Forge, the filter and box looks more integrated with the front inlet duct (air scoop). But perhaps that doesn't matter as much?

034 makes big fuzz about the inlet 'hose' (actually a cf piece) and it's larger diameter, 4" at the filter end...

Just trying to make a decision, hehe...

Just a word of advice here....

The point of greatest airflow reduction will be either at sharp angles in the pipework(hence all of these having much smoother radiused pipes than stock),or failing that,at the narrowest point of the system,and at the filter itself.

In essence,it doesn't matter if the inlet trunking is 10 ins in diameter,if the MAF is still only 3ins in diameter,as this is where flow limitation will occur.

Mine has 4" piping sleeving down into a 3" MAF housing,but still flows enough for a lot of power.

Reactions: Boydie, perazzi and S3 Turbo
By the way, if like me you're doing a filter purely for aesthetics and/or acoustics, then fine - but just so you know my VWR R600 made no difference to figures on a rolling road with the MTM M-Cantronic. The CTS inlet elbow however added 10bhp and torque...

Oh!

Already have the Cts inlet elbow. ☺

Mainly interested in performance benefits so think I'll use my money on something more worthile then...

Reactions: batch
I think that the problem is in testing these things to a point where significant differences begin to show.

Most of them are quite well designed,and aside from some having issues with fuel trims etc,they will all perform well up to say 400bhp or more.
Showing that one or other was starting to suffer flow limitation under dynamic conditions(i.e.on/off throttle,hot air,etc etc) would be very difficult indeed,and I can't see any manufacturer offering up their products for a comparative test on a flow bench either.

Pity in a way,but unlikely to happen.....I can say that the ugly old ITG which looks like(and is) a collection of pipes mated together,works well up to 600bhp,and the VWR is based on ITG technology.

No plans in sight to go over 400 hp so in combination with batch's dyno results, think stock box will do it...

Really a pitty that there are so few independent comparative tests for tuning parts.

In other domains, e.g. computer peripherals, you just drown in tests.

Perhaps the market (and thus possible ad revenues for sites/magazines doing tests) isn't big enough...

Reactions: batch and S3Alex
I would have thought that a filter system allowing higher airflow rates will only be of any use what so ever once the engine is tuned to the point where the standard system isnt able to accomodate the engines need for greater air volume.

Most manufacturers spec their systems with a great percentage of redundancy to allow for air filter efficiency reductions caused by the gradual blockage of the filter medium. So unless its reasonably tuned you wont ever see any performance increase by changeing filters.

What you may get is a more sporty intake noise and a more handsom looking unit. Oh and in some cases more muck in your engine. Its worth comparing specified particle sizes for the various filters.

Reactions: S3 Turbo and S3Alex
I have the forge and I love it, sounds awesome.

I'm waiting to get quite a few mods done then going stage 2 so I'll see how it performs then.

Are there any ASN discounts available on any of these air filters?

I have the forge and I love it, sounds awesome.

I'm waiting to get quite a few mods done then going stage 2 so I'll see how it performs then.

You have no tune right now?

Would be very interesting if you compared with and without the Forge intake at stage 2...

No tune yet, once I'm back from my hols the fun will begin.

Sooooo did we ever get any conclusive evidence on Forge v VWR as I’m trying to decide between the two......

To be honest mate there all pretty much the same, is just go for what you think looks best.

Unless you but the same car on a dyno and test every filter etc you will never know or tell the difference.

I may be considering selling my Forge carbon intake.

Reactions: JamesS4cab
or do the stock air box mod and a piper cross panel filter (listed under the stickies). 40 quid versus over 400 for a full intake. I think it made a bit of improvement in response on mine, but the old original filter was a bit dirty to that could be why. If you are going stage 1 or 2 then its definitely worth considering.

When choosing an intake for my S3, I originally chose the APR intake due to the information provided by APR on their website. I was able to see diagrams of air flow, tests and graphs showing the improvements.

At the time I bought their catch can as well which I then sold as a package as it was of no use to me since I wasn't tracking my car. I spoke with the guys at MRC (if you don't know, one of the best Audi/VW tuners) and they recommended to me that they put the VWR600 intake on their customers cars.

I am not MRC biased as my cars are all Revo Tuned.

Reactions: Damo S, JamesS4cab and MikeParkin