Integrated front/rear dashcam option

Santiago

Reaction score
A question about the bizarrely named “Universal traffic reorder (UTR) – front and rear” (that’s front and rear dashcams to you and me), which is a £699 option on the configurator under ‘Accessories’.

Has anyone had a car delivered recently that had this option? Info on the configurator is next to useless. There are are some useful videos on YT but they all seem to be from between 1-3 years ago. Although the camera hardware looks OK (Audi own brand?), there are/were some significant issues with the associated app and (lack of) MMI integration. I was wondering whether Audi have addressed the problems with a newer version? The main omission was the inability to connect the UTR to the car’s own wifi, which seems a bit daft. A properly integrated front/rear system would be great, as a dash cam (or cams) its usually the first thing most of us add to a new car. Minus the integration, of course.

Reactions: AdamInKent
A question about the bizarrely named “Universal traffic reorder (UTR) – front and rear” (that’s front and rear dashcams to you and me), which is a £699 option on the configurator under ‘Accessories’.

Has anyone had a car delivered recently that had this option? Info on the configurator is next to useless. There are are some useful videos on YT but they all seem to be from between 1-3 years ago. Although the camera hardware looks OK (Audi own brand?), there are/were some significant issues with the associated app and (lack of) MMI integration. I was wondering whether Audi have addressed the problems with a newer version? The main omission was the inability to connect the UTR to the car’s own wifi, which seems a bit daft. A properly integrated front/rear system would be great, as a dash cam (or cams) its usually the first thing most of us add to a new car. Minus the integration, of course.
Unless they have changed this for the 8Y, it was effectively a rebadged dash cam from memory, and even if specified on build, it’s not actually fitted during build - the dealer installs it.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Santiago
Unless they have changed this for the 8Y, it was effectively a rebadged dash cam from memory, and even if specified on build, it’s not actually fitted during build - the dealer installs it.
I don’t understand why car manufacturers aren’t offering this as a fully integrated option nowadays? (The only one I’ve heard of is Tesla with their Sentry system.) I would’ve happily paid extra for a properly integrated traffic cam.

Reactions: DreamInCode
I'll actually be touching on this in Wednesday's video. I genuinely would have paid if they had built it into the pre-sense camera which is hidden away in the rear view mirror.

The fact it's £700 and then you have to stare at it made me opt for a cheaper, better alternative. (Video for that will be filmed soon lol)

Reactions: AdamInKent
I have it installed and did on my last car - The App isn't the best (has improved) and it is expensive compared to others, but I wanted it fitted when I picked the car up - Yes the dealers do install it, but you get the 3rd year warranty added to the standard 2 year accessories if fitted at PDI before collection.

Early alternative cameras used to have the issue with the parking mode, needed an additional battery pack - The UTR is neat when fitted - D J Alix fits Dashcams if you're in his area and reading his previous posts, he really knows what he's talking about (not sure if he's done an 8Y)

I don’t understand why car manufacturers aren’t offering this as a fully integrated option nowadays? (The only one I’ve heard of is Tesla with their Sentry system.) I would’ve happily paid extra for a properly integrated traffic cam.

Exactly. I think a lot of people would pay a bit of a premium if the cameras were properly integrated, from both a hardware and software point of view. I supposed I should have guessed from the YT videos that it was a dealer-fit item (and from the fact that it is listed as an 'accessory'), given the rather 'clumsy' way that the thick cable (front and rear) passes under the headlining. I'll probably just get the guys at Halfords to transfer my Nextbase camera to the new car when it arrives. £30, job done.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Sparks43
Just got myself a Thinkware U1000 and gonna get it properly fitted & hardwired, with the ongoing MMI issues, I'm hoping hardwiring it with parking mode doesn't cause further issues with the electrics :whistle2:

Reactions: auzzam_crd
Just got myself a Thinkware U1000 and gonna get it properly fitted & hardwired, with the ongoing MMI issues, I'm hoping hardwiring it with parking mode doesn't cause further issues with the electrics :whistle2:

Surely the 8Y with its massive step forward in tech is not that fragile that a dash cam will make it malfunction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely the 8Y with its massive step forward in tech is not that fragile that a dash cam will make it malfunction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope it will malfunction just fine without the need for a dashcam ;)