intercooler full of oil?

yellowgti

Whats going to break next??...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.fastcarcentral.co.uk
ok guys im a bit of a mechanic and know how to strip and re-build my dubs, just after a 2nd opinion, since i had mine remapped to 215bhp its got slower and slower and i noticed when i rev it up i get a little smoke so yesterday i took off my standard fmic to find at least a cup full of nasty black oil, ive jet washed it out and the pipework and put it back together and its seems a little bit better but still no where near as it was when i fist mapped it, now basically a cup full of oil in the fmic surely means that the turbo seals are gone or going, am i right?
any comments more than welcome

cheers guys

sadly, the VAG breather system vents nasty oil back into the TIP, which ends up getting stuck in the intercooler.

If you have a silicon TIP, whip it off, and look down the ends to where your breather connects, I can almost garantee there will be a thick sticky black trail of oil running from the breather valve connection down towards the turbo.

I added a catch tank into my system, and flushed out all the pipes and core with petrol, and it's been much better since, no oil build up, and the car feels more lively.

so basically its nackerd then, i believe jabbasport will be at audi international so may take a few quid with us! any ideas how long it will last if i keep cleaning the cooler out?

I doubt you'll get a cup of oil from the breather, are you getting any smoke from the exhaust? how many miles has the car done?

I had the same thing on a couple of different cars and each time it was the turbine shaft seals. It can occur if the previous owner used poor oil and then you use quality stuff, the good oil has detergents in it which can wash away carbon build up, the carbon build up can block up any leaks, and removing it makes it start leaking again.

I doubt you'll get a cup of oil from the breather, are you getting any smoke from the exhaust? how many miles has the car done?

its done just under 90.000, already had head gasket and it was deffo a cup of oil from the standard cooler, yes there was a bit of smoke when revv'd on the spot or thrashed which seems to have cleared now its cleaned out, cant remember what the oil is called but tis changed every 3 months and its £32.99 at trade price! other than that things like spark plugs etc.., we have genuine only

see if you can take the hoses either side of the turbo off, if there is oil on the vacuum side then its the breather. Turbo seals normally only spit oil out into the pressure side.

Its a good idea to get the breather cleaned and checked anyway.

see if you can take the hoses either side of the turbo off, if there is oil on the vacuum side then its the breather. Turbo seals normally only spit oil out into the pressure side.

Its a good idea to get the breather cleaned and checked anyway.

is that the pipes that go into the dv? there all clean ;-) did that yesterday cant really see anymore pipes around the turbo

there will be two pipes, both about 1 3/4" they're probably almost impossible to remove as your engine is transverse.

oh great! hopefuly somebody at the show 2morro will beable give me a rough idea where they are then

cheers buddy