Intercooler hose popped! Drove 5+ miles like so

~RS~

Reaction score
So I was driving down the A406 when I heard a pop when accelerating. It was a familiar sounds as I've has one of the intake pipes blow off before problem was I couldn't stop where I was so I had to drive 5+ miles with the car spluttering away driving horribly rough and struggling to produce enough speed/power to change gear (DSG).

It starts fine now, didn't overheat or anything- no warning lights and is running, but, I'm wondering if any damage could've been doen driving it like that and having to floor it to get enough power to change gears?

Also if anybody has part numbers for the intercooler hoses that would be appreciated!

Come on mate - give us a clue ? I assume it's a BKD engine but MY would also be helpful !

This may help :-

Last edited:
Lol, I guess that would help a bit mike :)

BKD engine as you guessed, Jan 2005 Build.

Thanks mate! I'm sure 90% of my parts number requests have been answered by you, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Ta pal!

Anyone know if it would be OK to drive (very slowly) 1.5miles to my local garage to have them sort this (my AA run out 2 weeks ago, they charge silly amount to tow and renew). Failing that I will have to give them a call.

Cheers

Cheers mike. Turns out the pipe has just come away from the intercooler, the lousy method they've used to secure this particular pipe seems to be causing this problem with a few owners. More so with the ones that have remaps from what I'm reading. Not sure if the intercooler between the 170bhp and 140bhp are the same, maybe the 170 has a better way to secure the pipe. As the way they've done it on the 140 is crap!

The old pipe has a lug on it that was shot, as was the clip. The new pipe arrived but they didn't send the clip so will have to source one someplace else as it wasn't in stock.