Interesting chat with the guys at ITG.........

JamesS4cab

Reaction score
Seeing as i have decided to go back to stage 2+ and keep the S3, I have been trawling the usual forums and purchased all of the hardware that i needed again including a close can ITG which i have never seen before sold by ITG themselves.

As i had the open filtered system with the G60 open cone before i was suddenly concerned that the close can system might actually restrict me in my quest for throttling the life out of my poor K04. So I gave the guys at ITG a call and talked through what i had bought and who i had bought it from.

The guy i spoke to (I forget his name) couldnt have been more helpful if he tried. He was so passionate about it and we talked about the open v the closed system and told me that the close can is what ITG now make for VWR which is what the BTCC guys are all using which is why its not being marketed as an ITG as its made for VWR.

I suggested that I might buy the open filter and a 90 degree bend and go back to original spec and he explained that their research has shown that the closed can is just as good and that any difference would be minimal. At this point he could have told me to make the necessary purchases and i would probably have done it there and then but he didn't - he said stick with what i have got.

We also talked about putting a 90 degree angle in, running the closed can down behind the headlight to a cold air feed from behind the fog. But again, he suggested that the direct route in through the grill was better and I would be wasting my money.

The one thing that did suprise me was that when i suggested using the same car on the same rollers and doing a simple RR test with both the open and closed systems, there were no results to show the difference. So this is something i am considering trying up at AMD if i can get the RR cheaper than normal (hint hint Ben... :laugh:) so then we have a definitve "open v closed" result. I would even be interested in trying a number of different intakes on the same day so that there is a good factual resource for others to see.

We probably spent 25 minutes dicussing all the options etc for me to eek the most out of stage 2+ and i was so impressed that he actually took the time to explain everything and all the alternatives.

Thanks ITG. :rock:

Great service - it makes a massive difference when someone who works for a car component company is actually interested in cars rather than simply being there for the paypacket at the end of the month.

Reactions: JamesS4cab
Absolutely loved there service when i got the intake for my Seat, ended up spending £480 on the carbon intake purely on the gains they had achieved! got emailed dyno logs and all sorts.

Probably Andy or Stuart, dealt with those guys a few years ago with VX220's brilliant chaps and a real passion for cars.
Think there's even a picture of my VX on their website still :)

I had a similar conversation about the VWR kit and the latest Carbonio (for the A3 mind you not S3) with APR who supply both kits. On the A3 there was nothing in it between both ... I was orginally going for the VWR and ended up with the full Carbonio as it looked better.

I'm goin stage2+ tommorow at AMD with a VWR intake so i'll let you know how i get on and we can compare notes!! :)

I'm goin stage2+ tommorow at AMD with a VWR intake so i'll let you know how i get on and we can compare notes!! :)
I'm sure you'll enjoy the results....the ITG/VWR intake is quiet and has worked very well on my car for a long while......Stg2+ is also good fun.

Thanks Alex i can't wait, fitted the VWR last weekend. Very pleased with it. Just hope it performs well once mapped :)

Good luck with that (thanks for the PM!) - will be interesting to see how you get on.