Interior retrofit - what can be done?

a3Tex

Reaction score
I've been following the forums for a while but recently bought a 2011 2.0 TDI 170 A3 5dr. Upgraded from an old Corsa and obviously the performance difference is something else. Not knocking the Corsa, as a city car it was great but on long journeys it wasn't so good.

The car is standard spec when it comes to the interior and that was reflected in the price I got for it. However as a machine it is superb, everything works. It’s funny, but when I was reading reviews for the car most of the negatives (the turbo seemed to be a major one) I absolutely love.

The build quality is also great. Driving the dog in the Corsa was like watching the Great Escape as he tried to dig out the parcel shelf, the footwells or back seats. I thought he was just mental but in the A3 it’s so quiet/solid that he just goes to sleep.

The car has no DIS, no RNS, no parking sensors, electric folding mirrors, leather seats etc. etc. I can live without this stuff, I’ll use my eyes to park, my hands to push the mirrors in and dog + leather seats is not going to work. My questions were more from the interior trim aspect:
  1. I have a Tom Tom satnav which works perfectly fine. Is the RNS-E retrofit worth doing? Will it add the equivalent value to the car?
  2. Do you have to upgrade the DIS (I’d need a new instrument cluster I think) in order for the RNS-E unit to work or does it just make sense to so you get the directions in the display?
  3. Changing the pedals. This seems to be the upgrade of choice and even with my DIY skills this doesn’t seem too hard?
  4. I’ve also seen some interior trims where there is a metal (aluminium?) strip along the door. I don’t know what that is called, are there any guides for replacing them? Is it even possible?
  5. Is there anything else that can be done from the interior perspective? I’ve searched the forum and looked at the FAQ but haven’t seen much in the way of recent upgrades.
Aside from the pedals I wouldn’t be fitting any of this myself so it would be good to know rough costs but thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Welcome to audi-sport.net. Fkr any retrofitting work on your car, contact site sponsor NHN and he will give you an idea on costs. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: NHN
Thanks Sandra, I've seen a lot of threads with his handiwork and was already eyeing that up. I am also after general thoughts on the possibilities and whether people thought it was worth doing.

Welcome to the forum.
I had the standard spec in my A3. I did the pedal upgrade from an S3. Rnse is from what I have read, does not need dis.
I recommend the full interior LED conversion. Get in contact with tr8ps. Also I did the footwell light install, brought the loom from robina3, he also does the loom for the puddle lights.