Intermittent Oil Pressure Warning

D4RPD

Reaction score
Please help...

A6 4.2 v8 (auto) oil pressure warning light illuminated (red light), topped up the oil and the warning light went out.

However, when I drove over 2000rpm it came back on. Hence it's now off the road.

I suspect oil pressure switch, so I bought one, only Audi think it's located at the Oil Filter Housing.

I believe I have seen it at the front of the engine, under the plastic cowl in front of the fans where my hand doesn't fit!

Is it located where I think it is and, if so, how do I get to it to change it/ test the oil pressure?

Suggestions greatly appreciated please..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
have the same issue on my V10. Front end coming off to change it... (assume v8 is the same as the 10 which i beleive they are modular) it is down near the crank pulley at the front.

Mine throws the light pretty much at random. No other symptons at all barring a comedy disco show.

have the same issue on my V10. Front end coming off to change it... (assume v8 is the same as the 10 which i beleive they are modular) it is down near the crank pulley at the front.

Mine throws the light pretty much at random. No other symptons at all barring a comedy disco show.
Are you taking the front off yourself? How much of the front needs to come out?

Yes will be doing. The whole lot. Bumper both rads etc.
That is crazy. Is there a separate port for checking oil pressure with a gauge so I can confirm the switch is faulty?

not according to the intel i have.
Ok thank you for answering my questions. Clearly I'm not looking forward to this. Do you any info for taking the front end off (threads/links etc)?

havent done it yet... plenty of bumper removal vids on youtube... If you are not confident I dont think removing the AC and cooling rads is for the faint hearted.

If you type in youtube wheelsandmotors it will tell you how to remove front end.

It will do, you may get a few scraped knuckles but there will be enough room, also get a few bits of wood you can cut down as the pipes will try to pull the front-end back towards the engine.

I'm now not convinced that these are well designed cars. Removing all these items to change a switch or test oil pressure; baffling!

I'm now not convinced that these are well designed cars. Removing all these items to change a switch or test oil pressure; baffling!

Do explain to me which of the plethora of other V10 engine executive vehicles are easier to work on? :)

They all go through VAG's department of putting **** in stupid places, i.e. production engineering

Guessing you haven't tried changing a bulb at the front yet?

Do explain to me which of the plethora of other V10 engine executive vehicles are easier to work on? :)
I couldn't on a V10; but an old V8 Jag seems easier than this Audi V8. Thanks for all your advice.

Reactions: Redbaron1973
They all go through VAG's department of putting **** in stupid places, i.e. production engineering

Guessing you haven't tried changing a bulb at the front yet?
Nope. Haven't long had it. I'm now not looking forward to that either.

Thats very true.

Beyond servicing they are not designed with repair in mind.

Mine however has after a 600mile round trip last week seeming burnt off/up whatever crud was affecting my OPS and is now seemingly behaving. Will swap it anyway and do another oil change / flush to make sure but they are seemingly a tempremental little device.