iPhone Bluetooth Music Streaming

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a 2007 symphony stereo with the bose upgrade and the factory fitted gsm phone prep. Is there anyway to get music from the iPhone stream via bluetooth to output through the stereo? or does it only work for handsfree phone calls?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ipod connection only me think.. aftermarket. i also have the same issue, but luckily i have the rns-e system with sd cards.

Do you know of any aftermarket connection kit for streaming via bluetooth?

I have the same problem! I got told the car would be able to stream music much like the A1 can :S

Car arrived yesterday and I can't get it to work or get the phonebook from my phone to sync, Dave you got your phonebook working? I have the nav system though so maybe there is a difference.

this is one of many reasons why i decided to ditch Audi Headunits and go aftermarket. had a friend in the car just a couple days ago asking if i had a specific track, they had it on their blackberry so told them to pair up with my Pioneer system and within a minute bluetooth streaming was on!

Yeah sounds like what I exactly wanted.....so annoyed at Audi atm!

Also where is the AUX in socket? might be a silley question but I looked everywhere and can't find it!

well Ive got a A3 sportback s-line with tech pack and comfort pack along with a few other extras like folding mirrors....pretty sure the tech pack with dvd based nav should come with it.

Just check the MY12 brochure and it has it in the sport and it does say "In addition to Sport model equipment" on the s-line basic spec....hmmmm, would the factory forget something like this?

I have the same problem! I got told the car would be able to stream music much like the A1 can :S

Car arrived yesterday and I can't get it to work or get the phonebook from my phone to sync, Dave you got your phonebook working? I have the nav system though so maybe there is a difference.

Yes I can get the phonebook to work with my standard headunit.

Dave, I got some answers from Audi today after much hassle from a stupid parts department manager, you cant stream music through bluetooth on an A3 with the standard phone prep however if you have the Audi Music Interface then you can buy an adaptor from Audi for £100 to plug into the glovebox connection and this will support the A2DP function needed to stream!

Reactions: kev1000
I'd be interested in the bluetooth adapter for the AMI but I've heard that BT streaming isn't that high quality due to bandwidth limitations - anyone know if there's any truth in this?

Dave, I got some answers from Audi today after much hassle from a stupid parts department manager, you cant stream music through bluetooth on an A3 with the standard phone prep however if you have the Audi Music Interface then you can buy an adaptor from Audi for £100 to plug into the glovebox connection and this will support the A2DP function needed to stream!

How would I know if I have the Audi Music Interface?

Depends what BT spec they use, but should be plenty sufficient bandwidth, I use 192kbps on my mp3 & thats good quality, BT has between .7mb/s upto 24mb/s with the latter depending on other things, have a goosey here.

Bluetooth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even at minimum bt v1 its got enough bandwidth for quality streaming given distance its going, but I doubt its that old, so say its got between 2-3mb/s for v2 which is plenty.

You'd have a tray that slides out with a socket that looks like a dock connector but its the audi connector for the ami cables, would only be on 09/10 cars onwards iirc as gateway also as updated then for this to work.

Last edited:
Wonder if a single device could attach to both the AMI BT adapter for music streaming and the BT prep for calls at the same time? Currently have an iPod Touch in the glovebox but, in theory, I could ditch that and get an iPhone to perform both phone & music duties. Can't believe that'd actually work tbh as it'd be too obvious/useful :)

I'd be interested in the bluetooth adapter for the AMI but I've heard that BT streaming isn't that high quality due to bandwidth limitations - anyone know if there's any truth in this?

I have some bluetooth speakers for the bedroom and the quality is great, I just love the whole thing being wireless.

Part number is 4F0051510J incase you want to look into it further mate

Wonder if a single device could attach to both the AMI BT adapter for music streaming and the BT prep for calls at the same time? Currently have an iPod Touch in the glovebox but, in theory, I could ditch that and get an iPhone to perform both phone & music duties. Can't believe that'd actually work tbh as it'd be too obvious/useful :)

Yes! big win on that front, as per David in the parts department at Audi Brighton, he has assured me that it will connect to both but you must ensure that your bluetooth device can connect to multiple sources which an iPhone can!

one restriction is that it is not compatible with MMI 3G, could someone tell me how I would know if mine is or isn't?

I can't wait to pick this adaptor up, im currently asking Audi to pay for it as they told me streaming was possible if I ordered the technology pack, all a lie! and there is no AUX port if you have AMI which isn't written in the brochure which has annoyed me as I wanted the griffin bluetooth adaptor which is cheaper then Audi's adaptor.

Dave if you don't have the AMI in the glove box and do have a AUX, try this mate,

Griffin BlueTrip AUX, BT-handsfree set for iPhone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

as per David in the parts department at Audi Brighton, he has assured me that it will connect to both but you must ensure that your bluetooth device can connect to multiple sources which an iPhone can!

I know him well :)

I know him well :)

He is a well informed person and nice to see someone working in the part department actually know what they are on about, friendly chap too :)

Unlike Andy in Audi Eastbourne which unfortunately is my local, he started by telling me an A1 cannot stream music, no car can! I laughed then politely told him to check the bluetooth adaptor part number given to me by David. The guy was shocked that I found it, he said he would need to check it is compatible before ordering it in....no word today, think I'll give him until monday to join us in this century......haha

One day Audi will catch the Japs with this. Any new Nissan or Mazda ive been in pair the BT press play and away you go. And full control through the steering wheel.

one restriction is that it is not compatible with MMI 3G, could someone tell me how I would know if mine is or isn't?

Thanks for the useful info Jiggy. Regards MMI 3G - assuming you have an A3 then you don't have that. The A3 only comes with the RNS-E, MMI 3G is the newer and "higher-end" system available in other models and which will no doubt come with the next A3 model.

Thanks, with that info I will be going back to the dealer tomorrow, wish they would stop trying to fob me off, im not gonna quit haha!

Guys

Can you help me with this - too many acronyms for me!

I have a 2007 S3. I have the rns-e and I have the Audi iPod kit in the glove box (is this AMI?)

Will this Bluetooth adaptor work for me?

Thanks

Karl

Unless it has a usb port then no, ami only came out on the mk2 rns units.

Hi guys,

Sorry to bump this but i dont really understand a lot of the jargon haha!

I have a S3 black edition, 61 plate with dvd nav and audi music interface thing as well?

What do i need to do for my iphone to work or ipod? prefferably my phone via bluetooth...

Assuming you have the proper AMI system, then just plug your iphone/ipod into the ami cable supplied, this will sync the unit wth the rns as such, bluetooth requires the usb bluetooth adapter audi supply, pitfall would be the iphone etc battery drains much quicker given streaming.

Don't think any iPhone/iPod has bluetooth streaming profiles - only bluetooth implementation for headsets/handsfree.

iphones from ios 3. something had bluetooth streaming included (A2DP)
its annoying as it auto connects even when you dont want it to. i have been able to get past it in previous iOS releases with Jailbreak tweaks but they no longer work in iOS 5 so i am having to manually disconnect it everytime i am in the car.

What is the proper AMI system?? And how do i know if i have it?

If anyone is looking to do the upgrade I have an AMI kit for sale...much cheapness! Click the link in my sig.

I have no problem streaming music from phone via bluetooth using the viseeousa WMA3000A in my car. I can access and control music using steering wheel control also switch between music and phone via Bluetooth so I can have a phone call in my car.

Reactions: LukeJS3