iPhone / iTunes issues

Audi Bairn

Staff member
Reaction score
Please send help!
Wife got an iPhone 8 and last night I went to upload her stuff from the previous phone to iTunes.
Firstly, on trying to download iTunes updates it kept quitting due to an error when around 75% complete.
Secondly, every time I plugged her phone in, iTunes froze.
Gave up eventually before I lost the plot.
Anyone help?

Please send help!
Wife got an iPhone 8 and last night I went to upload her stuff from the previous phone to iTunes.
Firstly, on trying to download iTunes updates it kept quitting due to an error when around 75% complete.
Secondly, every time I plugged her phone in, iTunes froze.
Gave up eventually before I lost the plot.
Anyone help?

Which OS you are using, i.e. Win or iOS and if you've installed all the required updates. Sometime there are security updates that are required for latest version of certain apps to run.

If you are running Windows, try repairing it by going to the .exe/installer file. Oh, and do check if you are running an Antivirus, stop it while updating iTunes as it can sometimes cause all sorts of issues.

Had this on Win 7 a few years back . Turned out to be a network driver causing issues . Thank God for Autoruns , great but of software . Helped me find my problem .

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: simonali and Audi Bairn
Which OS you are using, i.e. Win or iOS and if you've installed all the required updates. Sometime there are security updates that are required for latest version of certain apps to run.

If you are running Windows, try repairing it by going to the .exe/installer file. Oh, and do check if you are running an Antivirus, stop it while updating iTunes as it can sometimes cause all sorts of issues.

Windows on the PC.
Tried downloading latest iTunes update but keeps failing.
Latest update successfully on phone.
Problem occurs when plugging the phone in to PC / iTunes when it simply freezes. Only way then is to shut it down via Task Manager.
I’ve no idea about exe/installer files mate, that’s out with my comfort zone tbh.
Apple have sent me links to stuff now but it’s all a bit trial and error tbh.

Windows on the PC.
Tried downloading latest iTunes update but keeps failing.
Latest update successfully on phone.
Problem occurs when plugging the phone in to PC / iTunes when it simply freezes. Only way then is to shut it down via Task Manager.
I’ve no idea about exe/installer files mate, that’s out with my comfort zone tbh.
Apple have sent me links to stuff now but it’s all a bit trial and error tbh.

Which windows OS do you have mate, 8 or 10. Well, regardless of the OS follow the below to uninstall iTunes:

1- Open the Start menu.
2- Click Settings.
3- Click System on the Settings menu.
4- Select Apps & features from the left pane. ...
5- Select an app you wish to uninstall.
6- Click the Uninstall button that appears.

Once uninstalled, go to Apple website and reinstall iTunes and it should (hopefully) fix the issue.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Which windows OS do you have mate, 8 or 10. Well, regardless of the OS follow the below to uninstall iTunes:

1- Open the Start menu.
2- Click Settings.
3- Click System on the Settings menu.
4- Select Apps & features from the left pane. ...
5- Select an app you wish to uninstall.
6- Click the Uninstall button that appears.

Once uninstalled, go to Apple website and reinstall iTunes and it should (hopefully) fix the issue.
Hi fella.
It’s Windows 7 I have and PC is almost 8 years old (I know).
Either way I’ll try what you suggest. Had thought of trying it but scared I lost everything.
Appreciate the help, thanks

Reactions: V6_Man
Hi fella.
It’s Windows 7 I have and PC is almost 8 years old (I know).
Either way I’ll try what you suggest. Had thought of trying it but scared I lost everything.
Appreciate the help, thanks

Fingers crossed mate, hope it fixes the issue for you. Let us know if it doesn't work and we'll come up with a plan B.

Plan B = get an Android phone . Mount storage as USB Media'drive , dump files and go ...... Job done . Crapple ........ Hate the ****** things

Sent from my Nokia 8 using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed mate, hope it fixes the issue for you. Let us know if it doesn't work and we'll come up with a plan B.

Will do, cheers.
Only other thing I thought of to get her up and running was to try logging onto our iTunes on someone else’s pc.

Will do, cheers.
Only other thing I thought of to get her up and running was to try logging onto our iTunes on someone else’s pc.

Doable but just make sure that automatic syncing is turned off on the iTunes before backing up. Just remember the time/mobile name before the backup.

You can also check different backups by going to:

iTunes --> Preferences --> Devices.

You can hover your mouse over the backups listed there to see the mobile numbers for each backup in case you are unsure.

Doable but just make sure that automatic syncing is turned off on the iTunes before backing up. Just remember the time/mobile name before the backup.

You can also check different backups by going to:

iTunes --> Preferences --> Devices.

You can hover your mouse over the backups listed there to see the mobile numbers for each backup in case you are unsure.

Just a question mate, and you may not know the answer,but..

- Assuming your wife had a previous iPhone (iTunes) then if so you could restore from iCloud as opposed to using iTunes on PC. I never use connection to pc/Mac apart from doing extra phone backups locally?

- if she didn’t have a iPhone before this one, I did think the newer phones allowed setup without iTunes.

Failing this is it worth popping into your local Apple store to help set it up, or as you say could try someone else’s iTunes

Reactions: Audi Bairn and V6_Man
Just a question mate, and you may not know the answer,but..

- Assuming your wife had a previous iPhone (iTunes) then if so you could restore from iCloud as opposed to using iTunes on PC. I never use connection to pc/Mac apart from doing extra phone backups locally?

- if she didn’t have a iPhone before this one, I did think the newer phones allowed setup without iTunes.

Failing this is it worth popping into your local Apple store to help set it up, or as you say could try someone else’s iTunes
She had an iPhone SE and the new one is an iPhone 8, but I’ll look into that cheers

Try Driver Booster from iobit, too. Helped me out a few times, though not within any Crapple stuff as I've binned it all!

Apple are about to kill off iTunes, not before time.

I decided to try uninstalling iTunes and re-installing. But, Apple instructions say to delete all on the attached screenshot but I can only find the first two on my PC to delete. Petrified I lose my music library
5d221c57eb7d9dd88f23d672902637c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forget last post, I’ve successfully uninstalled now, but.........
On trying to re-install iTunes, I get the attached message. Losing the
b5b3ad95455be45df28c110a687a7d1e.jpg
will to live with this tbh

Forget last post, I’ve successfully uninstalled now, but.........
On trying to re-install iTunes, I get the attached message. Losing the
b5b3ad95455be45df28c110a687a7d1e.jpg
will to live with this tbh

Blimmey. It was supposed to be a simple process. Must be annoying for you.

Try deactivating any antivirus you have, go to Apple website and try installing it again. I am sure it will install fine. Reactive antivirus after it is successfully installed.

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave looking at what has become of Apple!

I heard they are pulling itunes...no surprise, I rarely use it apart from local backup of devices now and again, as just use iCloud

Blimmey. It was supposed to be a simple process. Must be annoying for you.

Try deactivating any antivirus you have, go to Apple website and try installing it again. I am sure it will install fine. Reactive antivirus after it is successfully installed.

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave looking at what has become of Apple!
Very annoying as you say mate.
I uninstalled Norton as it’d expired anyway, but I seem to still have McAfee on there too. I know how to uninstall it but not sure how to just switch it off.
Apple have passed me onto Microsoft now as I also can’t download Windows 7 updates.
Meanwhile wife has had new phone for two weeks and can’t use it.