iPhone lightning connection

Lord

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a cable to connect my iPhone or iPod to the car. It needs a lightning connection but I noticed that when I'm looking online for cables there are 2 options. 1 says it's an integrated cable with just the lightning connection. The other has the Lightning connection and also a 3.5mm jack. What are the pros and cons of each?

I've got an iPhone cable connected which is for an iPhone 3/4 and seen there's an adaptor on the apple website, would this work? Would I lose any features doing it this way?

Your old iPhone 3/4 AMI cable with a genuine Apple adaptor (get the 0.2m one rather than the block adaptor is you use a case) is the only way to connect your iPhone 5/6. The newer AMI cable with the new iPhone 5/6 connection won't work (assuming you have a <2012 A/S/RS5 model).

Yeah it's a 2009 so well before 2012. Will I be able to control the music from the mmi with this adaptor

Yup. Same set up I had on my old 2009 A5. Had a iPhone 3GS so used the old lightning AMI cable, then changed to a iPhone 5s and bought the adaptor. Worked exactly the same. Tried a whole bunch of cables when it broke, including the updated lightning AMI cable and it just wouldn't work.

In fact, since i sold my old A5 and my S5 now comes with the new lightning AMI cable, I have no use for iPhone adaptor anymore. Its the block-like connector (http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=97), so isn't compatible with some cases that restrict the access to the port, but if you would like it I will happily sell it for £15 posted?

Mind you I've just moved house so might take me a good while to find it...!

I always have a case on otherwise that would have been perfect, thank for the offer. I'll just buy a one off apple otherwise I'll end up just buy loads of cheaper ones that don't work

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yea definitely go for the Apple one. Its a hard price to swallow for an adaptor, but from what I've read you will just have issues with third party ones.