Is a map or a chip really worth it?

Divver

Reaction score
Hello, first post!

I've just acquired a 2006 Audi A6 Allroad, 2.7 TDI, the 177 BHP model. It's only got 88000 miles on the clock and is in really good condition, full Audi service history too!

The car is running really well, I've only had it a few days but it seems like it.

I've read a few posts on the web about people remapping these and seeing gains of 3-6 MPG with the added bonus of approx. +30 bhp and some extra torque too.

I'm wondering if it would be best to leave the car as it is, take it and have it re-mapped or just purchase one of those "racechip" chips that comes with a year engine warranty and upto £4000 of cover in case anything goes wrong...

A chip would seem a better option because then I can remove it for MOT and such?

Does anyone else run their 2.7 TDI with a chip, how has it been over an extended period of time?

Regards,
Dave

Reactions: KrisKrk
Hey bud,

Welcome to the forum.

Show us some shots of your motor.

Cannot say anything about chip boxes, nor the 2.7 engine as I have 2.0.
I think majority of us in here have our cars remapped. It's better for the car as each map is different and customized to cars gains or power expectations.
Not to forget, if you have any additional mods such as decat, EGR blanked, cold air intake, DPF gutted, inter cooler or performance clutch. It all matters how the engine will respond to all these factors to be as much efficient, strong and how fast it will go.
Chip boxes are mass produced. I doubt there will be any box to adopt to each car in a different way. To change the map independently. Might be wrong as technology progresses but remap's are far easier and safer way of doing thing properly.

I had mine remapped (so was my previous car) and I don't look back. Gains in mpg, bhp and torque were noticeable right away.

As for the mot, there is no way to tell your car had it done. Unless obvious visible changes been made which can affect the mot test.

Do some reading about both ways to tune your car but I think everybody here will agree on proper remapping. This should be done after you do any engine/exhaust mods (if any planned).

Hope I could shed some light on it for you.

If more in doubt, ask and I'm sure some other users will share with their experience.

As above a proper remap will be better, I installed a tdi tuning box not long back, and the difference is astonishing, I get an extra 5-6mpg on my commute and the car is a lot more responsive, so much so I'm thinking of getting a proper remap as it's done for my car personally, need to look at getting the dpf cut up and put a straight pipe in first on mine, yours won't have dpf though

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Weak point with these cars is the multichronic gearbox. If I was doing anything to increase the performance I would get it mapped with a map that tries to look after the gearbox a bit . Has the box had regular oil changes. I think it's 40K on these.

i had my 3.0 v6 remapped via bluefin by superchips, made the car a lot smoother through the gears and more economical... and faster ;)

i'd only worry about gearbox/clutch if you are going to drive like a loon all the time, i probably only gave mine full power 5% of the time