Is anybody else getting wind noise through their vents?

Baka

Reaction score
Hi guys, I get some serious wind noise through my air vents at speed. If either the face or windscreen vents are on (mainly the windscreen vent) you get loud blustering wind noise that goes up with car speed and fan speed.

It's like the inlet is being rammed with air from the forward movement of the car, and it's striking the moving fan and causing the noise, as the fan stalls and spins in the current of air. If that makes sense?

My dash does make an ominous whirr click, whirr click, whirr click sound, on starting and stopping the car, like the motor is trying to move a flap that's stuck.

Anybody else had this and and any ideas appreciate! Thanks. :)

I don't seem to hear anything like that even at speed.....I would get a VCDS scan done pal as you may find that one of the several motors may be faulty as I found out.

I get a bit of wind noise mate, and the blowers blow harder the faster i go too.
Never even thought it could be a problem untill until now, if im honest its not something that really bothers me though.

Reactions: Marky M
Cheers guys, I'll get a copy of VCDS so I can read any codes logged for the heater. Perhaps the motor that controls the inlet flap is stuck? It goes away if you just have it on the foot well blower but you end up with cold feet!

I have to say that I think mine gets very noisy at so speed and due to wind through the vents. If you find anything do let me know! I don't have any vcds codes on this. Will have to look up a schematic of how the vents work. Is it meant to have something that adjusts with speed?

I've read a few threads about the web and no one seems to have found an answer yet!

One guy put a restrictor plate in the inlet which shut it up.

Another person recommends sticking it on recirc when at speed, which makes sense, bit of a pain though.

Audi are aware of the issue as apparently there's a revised pollen filter that's deliberately thicker and more restrictive.

I'd guess it's an issue with a flap somewhere, as only some people have it?

If I have any luck I'll report back.

I've defo got the same. No fault codes in vcds but noise increases with speed and more noticeable when windy outside..... Not a major issue, but doesn't happen on our q7, then you jump in the a4 and notice it! Subscribed!

Have you tried turning the stereo up!

Reactions: stu-evans and Baka
Lol! Funny you should mention it, that's just what I did today. :)

Need to burn some mp3 cd's, all my actual cd's are terrible.

Same here mate, although I've found if you turn the recycle button on it tones it down a bit. But I guess all flaps and motors need to be working.