Is it just me or......

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Alright Fellas. Is it just me or has the traffic on this B5 forum thinned out considerably in the last couple of months? Not anywhere near as many bods around! ****** shame!

Think the new forum format has probably put some people off. I find it a nightmare to use from work with a vintage version of IE.

Funny you should say that because I noticed it starting to thin out around the time the format changed!

I am kinda glad the one post wonders have gone, its quality not quantity imho.

The format was supposed to be changing as soon as the admin had decent internet( Rob not long moved) So fingers crossed

The forum problems must have put a lot of people off. There are other audi forums which were solid as a rock whilst all the problems were going on and a lot of people just want a reliable site where they can get info.

This site seems so much better now though, and I think looks loads better for it too. Hopefully people will start slowly coming back.

I also think that a lot more people are starting to be able to afford the B6's now (myself included) so maybe that's why it's getting quieter as the B6 is as busy as ever.

The forum problems must have put a lot of people off. There are other audi forums which were solid as a rock whilst all the problems were going on and a lot of people just want a reliable site where they can get info.

This site seems so much better now though, and I think looks loads better for it too. Hopefully people will start slowly coming back.

I also think that a lot more people are starting to be able to afford the B6's now (myself included) so maybe that's why it's getting quieter as the B6 is as busy as
ever.

Thats exactly what I think it is. People have jumped ship and movedto the B6 platform. It seems like a wise move really. But it gets to the point where you have done so much to your B5 you don't want to move it on, and can't afford to run two cars! Just look at the S2 forum. Theres about 1 post a week!!! lol!!! I wonder in a few years will this forum be the same! Last man standing!!! I have just bought my other half a B6 avant after selling the range rover she had (03 plate 1.9td with 66k) for £4500 after knocking almost a grand off it by bartering with the salesman (it needs front arms and a new exhaust). It will not be long before you can pick up a B6 S4 for B5 S4 money. Wonder how many people will retain their 2.7's or go with the b6's V8 (Aragorn don't answer that).......

Last edited:
I think more of the modding questions will start to die off as more people jump to the B6/B7, the users that will be left in the end is people restoring their B5's or just out & out fan's of that model.

I think more of the modding questions will start to die off as more people jump to the B6/B7, the users that will be left in the end is people restoring their B5's or just out & out fan's of that model.

And you'll want to change your username :lmfao:

Honestly don't think it's anything to do with the model myself. There are still a lot of people asking the same questions over and over as cars pass through owners. I don't think the enthusiasm part will die out all that quickly. You only have to look at forums for MK2 GTi's, BMW E30's, etc. to see that just because a car is old it will lose it's following. There are still some very active forums for those sorts of models.

Car's which aren't easily modified tend not to have such interest from the owners. I joined a (ahem) Yaris forum to ask some maintenance questions when my lady bought one. You're lucky to get 10 posts a week on that forum, despite there being 1000's of the sh1tty little shoeboxes on the road (ok, it's actually quite a nice car for pootling round town... but don't tell her that!)

And as for B6 S4's going for B5 S4 money... they already are! I bought my 98 S4 about 3.5 years ago for around £8k. The newer/low-mileage ones were still changing hands for £12k back then (and very very few would have been >400bhp). You can pick up B6 S4's for under £10k now, and people are still paying around £8k for decent modded B5's. How much do B6 1.8T's go for?

Last edited:
Some good point. However the MK11's and E30's have achieved classic/cult status. The B5 however has not. Thats prob why theres still so much interest after all these years.

Nooo, I've got a B7, and to be honest I much prefer the the B5's out of all the A4 versions.

Wonder how many people will retain their 2.7's or go with the b6's V8 QUOTE]
im sticking with my 2.7, dont think i would ever go for a B6 S4, turbos are the way to go every time. your all right about the traffic on here though, i myself have been quiet on all forums cuz i jus aint got the bug since i lost my job. if i didnt have my B5 S4 i would be drivin a B7 2.0T by now but for now im stickin with my baby for a few years at least.

Between the B5S4 motor and a 4.2V8 the V8 would get the vote from me every time.

The S4 version makes 340hp as standard, which you'd just about get from a tuned 2.7, unless you changed the turbos (meaning an engine pull and thousands of pounds) you wouldnt be getting much more. Not only that it seems like a simpler and more robust engine. The 2.7's are always going wrong.

I guess it depends on your power target though. If you want 400hp, then its likely easier and probably cheaper to get it from a 2.7, because its already turbocharged, although we know the V8 will do 400+ with some work, as the RS4 manages it. It would be interesting infact to compare the costs involved. I suspect the V8 would require some camshafts and an exhaust and perhaps some headwork, whereas the 2.7 would need its turbos swapped and big intercoolers and exhaust.

If you want 500+ then imo you shouldnt be starting with a 2.7 in the first place, the power output to capacity ratio is starting to get silly at that point. I'd probably look at either turbocharging a 4.2, or starting with an RS6 engine.

I was noticing a drop in traffic on here too - AND coincidentally, my eyes have been wandering toward the B6... Since fixing my car (again quote - "they are always going wrong!") I am in the dilemma of do i sell it now and change up or do i enjoy a fixed S4? I have to say my confidence has been lost somewhat and although the S4 is a lovely lovely car, I really need to now spend money upgrading the suspension and brakes and then would probably start again on the turbos and injectors - but in reality I want a bit of an easy life for a bit and only yesterday noticed a superb 03 plate RS6 Avant outside my offices - a quick trawl and I found a 50k miler available for £13k !!! Thats gotta be a easy and quick way to get to 450Bhp and a remap and tweak should hit 500bhp.. mmmmmm Maybe I'll sneak over to where the chatter is and see whats occurin...?

"Between the B5S4 motor and a 4.2V8 the V8 would get the vote from me every time."

S.H.O.C.K.

Calvin, be aware the running costs for an RS6 are phenominal. You would probably cough up what you paid for it in running costs over a few years. ****** to that!! At least the B5's are relatively easy and inexpensive to mend!

Last edited:
they are always going wrong

I think there are as many faults on the B6 section as there are in the B5 section, and the common faults with cat's, coil packs, sludge, etc, etc appear to be no different between the models, also the B5 models are now up to 15 years old with the B6 being up to 10.

The one fault I don't see that much on the B6 is cracked exhaust manifolds but lets give them a few more years :gaehn:

Coilpacks on B6 models are infact worse than the B5's, mainly due to them having integrated driver chips. Most B5's have "dumb" coils, with a seperate driver IC.

Sludge is down to maintenance imo, and cats just wear out, its not going to last forever.

Cracked manifolds on 1.8T's is rare tbh as they're cast, the issues with the 2.7TT in the S4 are pretty unique to that engine, as the manifold is a tubular welded affair, and although most V6's and V8's have the same style of manifold, only the 2.7TT has two nice turbochargers mounted to them. If the manifolds break up on a normal V6, nothing much happens...

The S4's achilles heel imo is an overly complicated maze of boost pipes, and two turbos that are pretty fragile, plus the requirement to pull the engine if you want to look under the bonnet.

I personally think the B5's are much nicer looking than B6's. I just don't like the taillight treatment...

I've got no plans to update mine for quite some time.
Besides, I still have people look at mine & have no idea how old it is!

Maybe once the bottom falls out of the B7 or B8 market in a few years... But it would want to offer a lot over mine to justify the swap!
I might even go B5 S4 before then!!

Marty

Hoping not to be a 1 post wonder

Last edited:
I've been busy/away so my online time has totally vanished over the last couple of months. Sorry Olly! :sorry:

Personal opinion... I don't really like the new format. :whistle2:

I fully agree with you, the B5 is by far the best saloon shape, tho the B6 does look good in avant guise, but as a saloon the **** is mooohaaasssive.

I cannot think what a b6/7 would have that i do not already have or something i need that badly to justify the swap

Where i live i see loads of B6 formats but very few B5's so that alone makes me keep it, becoming an unusual model to have and gets my vote(looks nicer)

As for the forum traffic Ollie, always see plenty of viewers looking at the forum but not many posting. Think a lot of folk only do small changes/mods to their cars and dont think its worth posting, personally im always interested to see wot other peeps are doing to their cars however small or detailed it is.

Ive been quiet due to new job so not had time to surf or work on car, soon as i get back into a wee routine i'll get some progress hopefully.

Between the B5S4 motor and a 4.2V8 the V8 would get the vote from me every time.

QUOTE]

hell no!! the guy living next door to me tried racing me one day in his golf GTI and fair to say i killed the little hot hatch and this guy is a bit of a arrogant tit as he thought he had a fast car until i came along. low an behold few weeks later he buys the B6 S4 at the end of my street off a mate of mine lol i havent seen him lately on the road so i can have a go at it but i think he will be shocked up until 120mph(on a private runway fellas) then obviously he will cruz past but its gona be funny seeing his face but cant tell unless i see him out but as for going for a V8 over my engine NO CHANCE MATE!!!!! if the engine is looked after then it wont keep going wrong unless summin major happens, as for pulling the engine......wots the problem. as soon as mine needs the turbo upgrade then all work will be done by me and my old man. its not gona be easy but its not impossible as long as we take our time.
you do love them V8's huh dude:o.k:

Totally agree i've loved the B5 since they were first introduced and i promised myself one which i acheived 5 years ago it was a refreshing change from the 80 shape(Nearly bought 1) which i think has aged and looks dated but it's still a good car. I fully intend to keep my A4 that is why i LPG'd it when i bought it the only thing left to do to my car is fit a quaiffe lsd then I'll look at getting it tuned to over 300bhp with a rebuilt replaced engine if the mood takes me. Love the B6 but i've always been an original type of guy, i've had 3 mk1 Golf Gti's and 3 Mark1 Scirroco's i had a Mk2 GTX but it was nowhere near as good as the Mk1 Rocco's i had. In my opinion original is best !

Twiggy: The 2.7TT sure is a nice motor, and i'd certainly not turn one down. But they're just very fernickety engines. Theres a multitude of sensors that seem to have a unduly limited lifespan, and are usually £100+ a pop. They arent particularly friendly to work on, and the turbos seem to be particularly unreliable. The core engine is pretty good, its just all the anciliaries, pipes, sensors, pumps etc thats wrapped round it that seem to cause the issues.

I wouldnt say the turbo is any less reliable than a 1.8T's turbo, but theres two, and removing them is a proper nightmare of a job compared with a 1.8T making it a whole lot worse in real terms.

The V8 in the S4 also makes more power than you'll get from a 2.7 without changing the turbos.

And dont forget the noise :D

I'm not saying i'd haul a perfectly working 2.7 out and fit a V8, but starting with a blank canvas i just dont see the sense in the 2.7 over the V8. The funny thing is though, there ARE people pulling the 2.7 out of their S4's and replacing them with VR6 engines, simply because they're cheaper, more reliable and easier to work on.

One point the 2.7 has in its favour, is that if you want more power, theres a relatively well trodden path to get it, be it via RS6 turbos or Garrets or whatever. If you want 600hp from a 4.2, your kinda on your own.

very true mate, i see wot your saying and if i had a blank canvass then i think i would go for the V8 over the 2.7 as my engine is a ******* to work on if things need changing but say if i was in the situation of buying a B5 S4 or B6 S4 then it would be the B5 due to me loving the curvyness of the B5, id like to mess around in a B6 for the weekend but as for running one with that big V8 in it....... dont think i would want to tbh.

as for the noise.....mmmmmmm only thing that beats a V8 for me is the 5 pot from the UR Quatty.

jus being nosey now, how much can you pick a V8 up for and do you think it would go into a 80 Coupe??? i have to coupes on the drive aswel as our 3 Audis so in all its 5 audis for 3 drivers lol my old man has a little project going and there is a coupe going spare so might be an idea in there somewhere.

i paid £500 for my engine, although it turned out to be missing some parts (starter, AFM, and some other bits n bobs). The breakers like A8Parts tend to ask for a bit more, and also often price the anciliaries seperately, whereas my motor came from some **** on ebay, so came with the loom, ECU, immo unit, keys etc etc.

Theres a big thread on motorgeek with a guy fitting one (along with two turbos!) into a B4 Audi Coupe, which afaik is the same as an 80 in terms of engine bay layout etc, so it should go.

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/vie...art=1750&sid=28f416bb92c0d9c52c17d4bb0774d2e8

Its a hell of a read though, 74pages so far.

And your right, the new format is not very good!

It looks like the stock Bulletin V4 forum software suite. It has some good features, it's just a matter of how far the mods customise it...
I much prefer it to the format Audiworld & Quattroworld use - you cant add pics or links easily & tracking threads is a nightmare!