Is it me or do these 140 bkd engines eat turbos?

Mikemc

Scooby Slayer
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Really annoyed at the minute! The car is going in to have it diagnosed under my AA warranty for the second time since I've owned it August 2012.

Cars started the dreaded siren noise, and also going into limp mode due to overboost.

Getting sick of it to be honest, going in for a new DMF within a month too. Atleast it should hopefully last me 2-4 years without major issues.

My car has got BKD engine and the turbo has covered 120k mileage and still going strong, it was going into limp mode cutting off the turbo sometimes ago but it was of the fuel filter that hadnt been changed soon as i changed the fuel filter other services the car was fine and no more limp mode.

can somebody advise me of what else should be changed? is it the oil feed pipe? but im sure theres another pipe or 2? egr? just so i know what im talking about!

i did oil return pipe and feedpipe at the same time

130k miles on my bkd still on original turbo :$

Luck of the draw I suppose, my turbo went last year. Mine's an 08 BKD, only had around 45k on it at the time.

My 140 Golf needed one at 75,000 miles.

My 170 A3 apparently had one at 45,000 (before I got it).

Given they tend to die due to clogging with soot, I've long believed that cheap diesel won't be helping the life of the turbo.

I had over boost problems with mine, had a garage spray some diesel cleaner through the MAF then took the car out and drove it like it was stolen for 10-15 minutes which dislodged all the soot and haven't had a problem since. £30 to fix the problem, happy motoring since.

Did you have the oil changed with last turbo? I'd be looking into changing it anyway...

Just unlucky with that turbo I guess, unless the garage had some dimwit that done the work on it

My bkd 140 had 110000 on clock when the turbo was reconditioned due to noise and overboost been great sinse also had remap and egr blanked and mapped out that should stop it sooting up so quick

My bkd 140 had 110000 on clock when the turbo was reconditioned due to noise and overboost been great sinse also had remap and egr blanked and mapped out that should stop it sooting up so quick

I have a blank for my egr, but obviously don't want to put it on until I've had a remap!

Why dont you get your tuner to map out the EGR at the same time as remapping it. This basically tells the ECU that there is no EGR fitted so the valve remains closed and ineffectual.

Mine has done almost 120k. I've owned it for 2 years and turbo has been trouble free, never had an overboost code, but it does whine and has done since I bought it.

All turbos do make some sort of noise

The turbo spool on a V10 MTU marine diesel (twin turbos per engine, one permanent and one sequencial) sounds great even at a low maximum RPM of 2450RPM!

Why dont you get your tuner to map out the EGR at the same time as remapping it. This basically tells the ECU that there is no EGR fitted so the valve remains closed and ineffectual.

That's what I will be doing but ill still put the blank on for my own piece of mind

I've been through 3 turbos now since November 2011 hahahaha. I have a 140