• B8.5 shape

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • B9 shape

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

A4A4

Owner of a Shiny Daytona
Reaction score
Currently own a two and a half year old A4 B8.5 S Line.

But I'm been looking at the A4 B9 and here the things I like:

Interior with it's LEDs looks better
More powerful 190BHP Diesel Engine
Matrix Lights (sweeping)
Virtual cockpit

But not fully happy with the exterior design of the B9, much prefer the B8.5 look of the car.

While my car still has 6 months left warranty and holds some part ex value, now the time to change without hitting the wallet to hard.

So just reaching out for some view points.

Do you really think the depreciation increases once it's out of warranty? I have started keeping my cars until they are 4 years old then buying a year old car. Only cost me £7k to swap last time, similar spec car (but newer one had full leather), 3.5 years 17500 miles newer. Pretty sure buying new then chopping it at 2.5 years would have cost more.

Reactions: feva
In the meantime, you can get your existing engine remapped and get @t8ups to supply an interior LED lighting kit.

Reactions: Daves1972
Do you really think the depreciation increases once it's out of warranty? I have started keeping my cars until they are 4 years old then buying a year old car. Only cost me £7k to swap last time, similar spec car (but newer one had full leather), 3.5 years 17500 miles newer. Pretty sure buying new then chopping it at 2.5 years would have cost more.
I'm with you. From a pure financing perspective over a 3 year term my 2 year old RS4 costs less than my brand new 2.0 diesel SEAT leon. Running it not so much

The B9 divides opinion. I had an S4 while mine was in for some work and:

The interior is mainly better in materials and design other than a few stupid placements and it looking like the smaller A3/S3.

Outside i'm with the OP it is really lame in all guises a4/s4/rs5.

It has some tech things you can spec that don't exist on the B8.5 like VC, carplay, led headlights etc. but the list is very small and none are game changers

I'd not get one yet. Funnily enough i specced up a B9 RS5 on the german configurator this morning in as close a spec as mine as possible and it was £92k!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I get the impression that more effort has gone into making it a better mobile computer than making it a better car. But that's the way the world is going. The millenial generation is more interested in a car that communicates with their phone than one that communicates with their senses.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76, Zafi and DeanoC
I get the impression that more effort has gone into making it a better mobile computer than making it a better car. But that's the way the world is going. The millenial generation is more interested in a car that communicates with their phone than one that communicates with their senses.
So true my friend

Last edited by a moderator:
The other thing I've noticed about the B9 is the price of speccing a quattro sports diff. It was £600 on the B8.5, now it's £1,500. Thing is, it makes such a difference to the handling that it really should be standard on the S4/5 models.

Reactions: DeanoC
The other thing I've noticed about the B9 is the price of speccing a quattro sports diff. It was £600 on the B8.5, now it's £1,500. Thing is, it makes such a difference to the handling that it really should be standard on the S4/5 models.
Yea i spotted that. You have to spec it on the RS!

If the OP 'much prefers' the look of the 8.5 why this thread.

Currently own a two and a half year old A4 B8.5 S Line.

But I'm been looking at the A4 B9 and here the things I like:

Interior with it's LEDs looks better
More powerful 190BHP Diesel Engine
Matrix Lights (sweeping)
Virtual cockpit

But not fully happy with the exterior design of the B9, much prefer the B8.5 look of the car.

While my car still has 6 months left warranty and holds some part ex value, now the time to change without hitting the wallet to hard.

So just reaching out for some view points.

Also, surely the depreciation is greatest while the car is in warranty. Once it's 3 years old doesn't it bottom out a fair bit ?