IS my exhaust blowing?

amit87

Reaction score
Hi guys... before any haters arrive, I have had a search on this forum and google.

My car: 2.0 TFSI late 2005 DSG sportback, factory standard exhaust.

It is a bit wet to get on all fours to see where the sound is coming from so thought id ask a quick question...

My exhaust sounds like its blowing (well it would if it was a normal car), but is it normal for the standard twin exhaust pipes to sound a bit like its blowing (... maybe the standard sport exhaust noise?!)

its quite subtle so makes me think its normal, just a mate made me question it. Will get on all fours and check and get a sound clip up when possible.

Thanks

to make it clearer after further reading some threads, it has no power delivery issues and you can not hear it in the cabin or near the engine side from outside, just towards the rear mainly.

Well with the turbo ud get quite a "whooshy" sound. If the exhaust was blowing im sure ud feel some lack in performance. The turbo will be less responsive and would take a longer to spool up. I reckon it would be less noticeable with a turbo tho because of the amount of pressure it produces, i may be wrong in saying that tho. Why dont u take it to someone with a proper car lift and get them to check?

Well I can perform a quick check when its dry, working hours does not permit to nip to a garage so easily and weekends typically busy. I am sure its a standard sound, will check tomorrow morning. I will try get a sound recording too. Exhaust still farts nicely on dsg shifts lol. Thanks for the reply.

A simple thing u cud do is get a thick rag and block the exhaust pipes while the engine is fairly cold. If its blowing then the engine will still run and the area in which its blowing will become more obvious. If the engine almost dies or completely dies then the exhaust is fine

haha I must admit, I was a bit skeptical when I first read of your advice, but you live and learn and I was never aware that such a test could be performed. You are obv more knowledgeable than I have given you credit for (must apologise), bit of googling confirms your test methods (did not realise it was standard practise of mechanics), so I will try it tomorrow morning if I had a chance. Thanks again for your late night replies! good night for now lol.

A simple thing u cud do is get a thick rag and block the exhaust pipes while the engine is fairly cold. If its blowing then the engine will still run and the area in which its blowing will become more obvious. If the engine almost dies or completely dies then the exhaust is fine