Is running staggered 19" wheels a "no no" on a quattro?

palfy86

Reaction score
So im in the hunt for some new wheels and found a wheel supplier with a staggered option but ive read somewhere that its not advisable on the quattro system is this correct, and if it is correct is it possible to run 19x9.5 all round?

A big no no in my book, just the same as towing always on the flat or on the back of the truck

I would try and get the rolling radius to within 3% if I were you, anymore is too risky in my book.

With Staggered, I'm meaning the width of the wheels not different alloy/tyre sizes, (i.e 18's front and 19's rear or 40's on front and 45's on rear)

Is it ok to run with 8.5J on the front and 9.5J on the rear with the same rolling radius all round? My old man has just put a set of 20's on his S8 with this configuration as he did a bit of research and found a lot of other Audi owners have done this?

Dan

I run 8.5" wide on the front and 9" wide on the rear on my a6 quattro, no ill effect so far. They are 20" s8 alloys but the tyres look a bit stretched on the rear especially on the inside ! Had a blow out doing 140Mph on my private track, was a brown trouser moment getting the car to stop, tyre was only 600-800 miles if that !

Yeah all i was really looking at doing was 19x8.5 on the front and 19x9.5 on the rears.

Differing wheel widths and offsets won't affect quattro as long as you keep the rolling radius the same ish..

James the rolling radius, as in the tyre sizes are the same? so lets say 235/35/19 all round.

It's all a bit :think:

If you fit a 235 tyre on a 8.5J rim it will sit differently to a 235 on a 9.5J rim yes? The 9.5 will stretch the tyre more, in theory making the profile lower, and thus reducing the rolling radius. I would suspect that the difference would be so minimal that it would not matter, but it's a theoretical difference if nothing else.

so far i've been fine on 9.5 rear and 8.5 front on the same size tyres. Like James said, there will be some difference due to tyre wall height, what affect that will have long term I do not know

i will stay within 1/2" if possible and keep same size tyres. Use spacers if you need to fill the arches better. Here's mine on 20" wheels, rears are 9" wide, fronts 8.5 with 10mm spacers all round to clear struts and arches. Had 15mm spacers on the back but the tyres were rubbing on the wheel arch...