Is Stop/Start affected by Faulty Clutch?

norris_309

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have any knowledge of this,

I've had my 2011 A3 tdi for about a year & initially the stop start was working (so I kept turning it off lol!) but over the past year it's stopped working.
Now, I've just had the clutch/dmf replaced after it died on me last week, and now the Stop/start is working all the time??
Is this just coincidence? thinking maybe the battery is more charged than usual? (the Mrs usually uses the car driving around for work with radio/sat nav/charging phone etc..)
Or does the state of the clutch have an impact on the stop/start tech?
Any ideas/seen this before? just interested really
Cheers

Most likely the car was being used less during lockdown. Battery charge level, electrical load and a whole host of other parameters need to be met before stop start kicks in.
the only component I can see clutch related that can affect it is the micro switch in the clutch pedal which I doubt was changed as part of your clutch/dmf job.

Maybe because the battery got disconnected for clutch replacement and the battery sensor reset itself?

I'm thinking along the lines of battery being disconnected has reset it maybe? it's not getting used anymore or any less than usual really. The Mrs has been out and about working all over the lockdowns.
Funny the clutch switch mentioned as the pedal has been clicking for ages so I bought the little white clip, but several people mentioned it might be the clutch switch.
I had a good look around under the steering wheel/pedal area with the cover panel off & couldn't for the life of me find a switch of any description?
(but you do need to press the clutch to start)
I have had the white clip replaced while having the rest done & thankfully the clicking has stopped now. So god knows where the actual clutch switch is? master cylinder maybe?
Oh well, thought it was worth an ask

Cheers guys

I'm thinking along the lines of battery being disconnected has reset it maybe? it's not getting used anymore or any less than usual really. The Mrs has been out and about working all over the lockdowns.
Funny the clutch switch mentioned as the pedal has been clicking for ages so I bought the little white clip, but several people mentioned it might be the clutch switch.
I had a good look around under the steering wheel/pedal area with the cover panel off & couldn't for the life of me find a switch of any description?
(but you do need to press the clutch to start)
I have had the white clip replaced while having the rest done & thankfully the clicking has stopped now. So god knows where the actual clutch switch is? master cylinder maybe?
Oh well, thought it was worth an ask

Cheers guys
It’s part of the fun trying to figure things out.
maybe try following wires around the clutch pedal to find the switch.

If it was a fault clutch switch the engine would not turn on right? Or does your car not require to push the clutch in to start?

You are right, it does require the clutch to be pressed to start. So yeah the switch must be ok it was the clicking pedal that a few people suggested might be caused by the switch, however it now seems like it was the white plastic clip on the pedal that had come apart.
All is well now, long may that last! no clicking pedal.. the clutch now works & start stop is functioning (whether thats good or bad!?...)

If you use start/stop (in my eyes stop and start:blahblah1:) after driving on the motorway or driving with a heavy right foot it's not really good for the turbo. When driving only slowly in the city or letting the engine coast long it really does not hurt it.

I had that same thought really, in my head after a long trip i always drive very steady for the last few miles before pulling up at my destination of let the engine idle for a few mins before switching off. I did wonder if the stop/start would be clever enough to not activate after a long motorway trip, very much doubt that!
As for in traffic, just concerns me the wear on starter motors i guess.