Is the 2.0tdi in the B7 the same one as the B8?

Bear77

Reaction score
As the question says - I'm lead to believe the 2.0tdi in the B8 is reasonably reliable unlike the one in the B7 which eats oil pumps. Please correct me if I'm wrong before I buy!

If there is can someone let me know what it is before I use up my hard earned cash please?

The oil pump / balance shaft part of the engine IS THE SAME! However there are A LOT of parts which are different.

So, is it the same engine....NO

Do early B8's suffer the same oil pump failure due to the hex key which drives the pump off the balance shaft rounding.....YES

When was this design flaw fixed.....Engines manufactured after Feb 2010 have the new 100mm hex key and do not suffer this same fault

So, buy a 60 plate or newer car to be sure your engine has a later revised version of the balance shaft / oil pump assembly and you'll be fine.

Reactions: AudiLeon
The two engines are related, but not the same. The main change is to the cylinder head for obvious reasons - common rail instead of Pump Duse. The bottom end is very similar though, hence the carry over of the wretched oil pump/balancer module.

As others have said though the problem was licked after 2010, and I've only heard of a few isolated cases of early B8's with problems.