Is the 5dr more spacious?

Eeef

Lord of War
Reaction score
Used to have a 2.0 tdi s-line with all the toys plus Votex, sold it to part fund a business venture and might be looking to get another one.

For anyone that has gone from a 3dr to 5dr, is there any more space, perceived or real? Also if you went from s-line to s-line, I understand that they sorted the ridiculous suspension out. Does this mean they softened it and it's carp, or it's still nice and tight, but cheaper at the dentist?

Cant comment on the suspension, but we have both 3 and 5 door A3s. It's easier to get into the back with 5 doors, but you don't appear to get any more room in the cabin. The boot on the other hand is a few inches longer.

HTH

Leg room is identical, headroom is near enough identical

ab2_my_2009.Par.0120.Image.gif

ab2_my_2009.Par.0118.Image.gif

ab2_my_2009.Par.0136.Image.gif

ab2_my_2009.Par.0132.Image.gif

Thanks. That confirms why it's easier to get the pram wheels in the sportback!

My mates just bought a 170brake sportback Sline (quattro) and the suspension is definately better than mine, seems just as firm but secondary ride is much more controlled - his is an 07 plate

Those figures prove the cabins are the same, but the boot is larger in the Sportback.

If you dont carry back seat passengers the 3 door has to be the choice :) It just looks so much better. The only downside is with a narrow garage and long doors.:think:

The 5 doors abit like my old VX Astra :slapped:

Used to have a 2.0 tdi s-line with all the toys plus Votex, sold it to part fund a business venture and might be looking to get another one.

For anyone that has gone from a 3dr to 5dr, is there any more space, perceived or real? Also if you went from s-line to s-line, I understand that they sorted the ridiculous suspension out. Does this mean they softened it and it's carp, or it's still nice and tight, but cheaper at the dentist?

I was given a 2.0TDI S-Line Sportback a while ago as a loaner, while mine was in dry dock.

The improvement in ride quality compared to my 3-door was very noticable. Handling was still very good too. I think if I get another A3, it would be a SB, mainly for the extra convenience of the rear doors and bigger boot.

I have had Sline both 3 and 5 door.

Re Sline, my 3dr was a 2005 model year from mid 2004. The suspension was very very hard, which was fine when on my own but not so when I had the car loaded up with family which seemed to compound the problem. The move to the Sportback for 2006 model year in Sept 2005 brought both a more compliant ride (still hard but not as spine-jarring). I know in the new model year blurb that I read at the time there had been changes to the suspension with the SB but I can't say whether any changes has since been made to the 3 door or indeed to the SB since I got mine. I guess only a test drive will highlight this.

Re 3dr to 5dr, no more space in the back but without question so much easier to get in and feels less claustrophobic in my opinion. Maybe simply because you can open the windows! Those "easy function" seats in the 3 door were a myth in my view. So much harder to use than the old 8L model I had before.

The boot is a tad longer, but no wider, and if you have the quattro version like me, the boot floor is higher anyway, so the difference is pretty small in my opinion, although anything extra is helpful as it is not exactly a big boot.

...The move to the Sportback for 2006 model year in Sept 2005 brought both a more compliant ride (still hard but not as spine-jarring). I know in the new model year blurb that I read at the time there had been changes to the suspension with the SB but I can't say whether any changes has since been made to the 3 door or indeed to the SB since I got mine. I guess only a test drive will highlight this.....

My 3-door is a Sept 06 reg, and I can confirm that its suspension is still very much spine shattering !