Is the manual more fun than s-Tronic?

Jake95

Reaction score
Hi guys, still looking at S3s and I’m of a mind to get a used manual due to the fact I feel the S-Tronic may be lacking involvement and I like to feel like I’m driving in a car like an S3! Is this something others would agree with?

Depends how you drive the dsg. If you plan on putting it in D and letting a computer decide what the best gear is then, yes it will be boring (but relaxing when stuck in traffic). If you keep it in manual and use the paddles then it is in no way boring. The biggest benefit of dsg over manual is that you get instant gear changes (even faster when mapped) so no lag between gears, it's relentless (and addictive). The manual car will be left eating your exhaust fumes (sorry manual owners).

Reactions: Shady0808
I feel the auto sounds rubbish through the gears. There’s hardly any drop in in revs to make the good sounds. Purely my opinion of course.

I love manual in a little nippy car with the clutch in there too. Auto much preferred in a bigger avant without a doubt.

Strictly my opinion. Everyone’s entitled to one after all.

If you are going to tune it even to stg1 go for DSG or price in a new clutch.

It's fun when the clutch starts slipping on the manual, they're made out of chocolate

Reactions: Jake95
You should test drive both and decide.
I prefer dsg purely for ease of driving and smooth gear changes. Tend to leave it auto 99% of the time, as I have a Westfield for the track and too tired to mess around with gear changes when towing it home.
Wife drives the Audi 90% of the time and never uses the manual function.
I reckon it’s faster through the gears than a manual as you don’t get that dip in revs whilst dipping the clutch to change a manual gear. Using S mode lets you use the full rev range and launch control.

Hi guys, still looking at S3s and I’m of a mind to get a used manual due to the fact I feel the S-Tronic may be lacking involvement and I like to feel like I’m driving in a car like an S3! Is this something others would agree with?

Throw the sick left and go sequential and/or paddle, what's not to like? Unless you like exercising the left-leg. DSG is so much quicker and easier overall.

Reactions: paddy
I used to like stirring the cogs, but once you go s-tronic or dsg, your not likely to go back, especially if you like making progress in something suitably fast.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Not sure where you get this, "the revs dont drop to make good sounds" Rocket ?
a 6 speed DSG will change revs the same as a 6 speed manual....just does it a lot quicker. Its not an auto like a normal auto with a torque converter, its a manual with a sequential auto change. quite different.

Reactions: millsy75
I’ve got manual and I found it more fun to drive than the dsg, but then again all my cars have been manual so it’s probably what I’m used to... having said that my next car will probably me dsg cause I’m getting too lazy to want a clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advice guys! Will take it all in to account!

Not sure where you get this, "the revs dont drop to make good sounds" Rocket ?
a 6 speed DSG will change revs the same as a 6 speed manual....just does it a lot quicker. Its not an auto like a normal auto with a torque converter, its a manual with a sequential auto change. quite different.

It’s not always about speed, the manual makes the better noise is what he’s saying and I agree. Got an rs3 that’s s tronic and still got my manual s3 and the s3 is more rewarding to drive out of the two. The auto doesn’t backfire on gear changes, just makes a gay farting noise.

Don’t get me wrong, in traffic and for speed the auto wins. Everyone gets so wrapped up in speed these days and it’s not what it’s all about

Reactions: Bryant1998, samuelh_888 and S.
"The auto doesn’t backfire on gear changes, "
I think you and I are totally different pages ..

" Everyone gets so wrapped up in speed these days and it’s not what it’s all about"
Yea thats why you run and RS3 and and S3 and not a 1.4 and a Diesel.