Facelift Is the S3 facelift worth it?

James Cole

Reaction score
Hello guys....

Setting up the details on my purchase but I have not driven the facelift S3 but do have the pre-facelift...

So how different is it to drive? I see there is more power, better DSG and reprogrammed quattro.

But in the real world how does it feel one vs the other?

Thanks!
JC

Hello guys....

Setting up the details on my purchase but I have not driven the facelift S3 but do have the pre-facelift...

So how different is it to drive? I see there is more power, better DSG and reprogrammed quattro.

But in the real world how does it feel one vs the other?

Thanks!
JC

I'd say not worth upgrading to if you already have the prefacelift S3. That said, the facelift RS3 will be worth it !

Reactions: S3 Turbo, Simon L, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
Only yourself can justify this......

Reactions: Simon L, SpeedyFrog, pburv and 1 other person
Sorry guys I dont have either S3s, what I meant is that I have driven the pre-facelift only and wondering how diferent of a driving experience is the facelift model.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog and pburv
The difference is negligible, you will not notice the extra HP or the haldex update. Save yourself some money and get a higher spec'd 15 or 16.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon L, richinsoton, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
The difference is negligible, you will not notice the extra HP or the haldex update. Save yourself some money and get a higher spec'd 15 or 16.

Hmmm.....I am not so sure about this statement.....HP probably not, but torque bump and 7 speed transmission on s-tronic. I would presume will make quite a difference. Haldex, maybe if you are hammering it whilst cornering, less under-steer?
Just suppositions on my part, as I have not driven the 2017 S3.

Reactions: Jassyo06, SpeedyFrog and pburv
I've come from a prefacelift to a facelift and I must say it feels considerably faster.. I love the new gearbox especially crusing on the motorway! And the exhaust pops and bangs now too! Also unless your paying cash it won't be cost effective to buy a year old prefacelift. My guess is it would end up costing just as much as a new facelift s3...

Reactions: Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and pburv
The systems are designed to work so you don't notice them, I mean the PFL now you can't tell the haldex at all, even when driven hard - even changing the settings via vcd on PFL, its hard to tell the difference.

The seven speed will be nice on mpg, and slightly (tenths of a second) on acceleration, but overall, the upgrades do not warrant a huge distinction between the two years... Especially to the normal buyer.

The two main selling points for the FL is the Virtual cockpit and the new front/rear ends (personally do not like them). The mechanical changes are moreso for less fuel consumption and higher HP numbers are for marketing.

Reactions: richinsoton, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Sorry guys I dont have either S3s, what I meant is that I have driven the pre-facelift only and wondering how diferent of a driving experience is the facelift model.

In that case, just get the FL S3.

No reason to go PFL S3 unless you don't like the look of the FL S3 or if money is an issue.

I am convinced that the FL cars will be more reliable too!

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68, pburv and 1 other person
I've not driven the FL but would say that any purchase decision will be heavily dependant on Audi finance if you are buying this way. When I went to buy it was cheaper buying new than buying up to a year old due to the reduced APR. Probably even stevens when you factor in depreciation!

FL ticks the boxes with bumpers and lights which are typical of a mid cycle refresh. VC and 7 speed gearbox are the real highlight for me though, would have been nice if the power hike was to 340bhp in light of the competitors and the forthcoming RS3 power upgrade.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, azibux1 and 2 others
The new exhaust noises are worth it alone in my opinion ;-)

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
I think so: I'm coming from a Mk7 R and to me the major attractions are the new 7 Spd DSG unit, the VC (standard Downunder) and the various tech tweaks (better exhaust note, haldex distribution etc). Best of all is the gorgeous S3 cabin, particularly the S sports seats (Part if a performance package in Oz with mag ride and various other goodies).

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Hmmm.....I am not so sure about this statement.....HP probably not, but torque bump and 7 speed transmission on s-tronic. I would presume will make quite a difference. Haldex, maybe if you are hammering it whilst cornering, less under-steer?
Just suppositions on my part, as I have not driven the 2017 S3.

You might notice a small difference if driving it on the edge on a track but the vast majority of us are driving on public roads so would be hard pushed to notice any real difference......its a facelift designed by the commercial guys with some minor engineering input to make you think it's a lot better but its not a new model

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Simon L and 3 others
It'd really be the same car pretty much 99% of the time. As others have mentionned the 7-speed DSG, VC, Matrix lights, Apple Carplay and Android Auto support are the main tech novelty. Bit more power and torque but probably negligeable to be noticed everyday.
If you buy on finance it doesn't make much sense to buy the pre-FL.. Unless you're dead set on Sepang Blue and don't want to pay £2.5k on an exclusive paint on the FL. Build/delivery times (up to 3 months) for a FL may be a factor if you're in a hurry.

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
The pre FL brigade will tell you there's no difference. Buy the latest model.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Koomerang

To be fair mate it is pretty much the same car!

Agree with Rob the 7 speed box is worth having and a couple of the options (VC and Matrix lights) are nice to have but hardly essential in the driving experience stakes!

A couple of the cosmetic 'upgrades', headlight cluster shape and 'smiley' grill are a step backwards imo..................don't get me wrong still a lovely car though................and vegas paint is a big plus (even though sepang is gone......well there was too many anyway!! lol) :)

As for the facelift being more reliable.............that's completely unfounded and way too early to tell!

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and SpeedyFrog
@Simon L Don't mock my smiley chrome grill! lol

.......doesn't show so much on daytona mate..............lighter colours do though ;)

(again, it's a personal preference thing and I'm sure it doesn't matter a toss to most!)

You must be Salesman, certainly not an engineer :)

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Simon L and 1 other person
I think the point being made is if the OP is in the market to buy a new S3 there's absolutely no reason to buy the pre-FL unless one of those apply:
- Sepang Blue or Misano Red is a must
- Lunar Silver leather is a must
- Stonkng deal on a new or almost new pre-FL S3 loaded with options
- The exterior cosmetic changes on the FL S3 make you puke your breakfast/lunch/dinner...

The FL S3 will be a better car by virtue of having the latest tech and tweaks. It won't necessarily drive better or be driven by a good enough driver that it'll show a difference but there's no reason not to get the FL unless the above applies.
We're not talking about a vintage car here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: andrew kay, pburv, Audi Bairn and 2 others
I think the point being made is if the OP is in the market to buy a new S3 there's absolutely no reason to buy the pre-FL unless one of those apply:
- Sepang Blue or Misano Red is a must
- Lunar Silver leather is a must
- Stonkng deal on a new or almost new pre-FL S3 loaded with options
- The exterior cosmetic changes on the FL S3 make you puke your breakfast/lunch/dinner...

The FL S3 will be a better car by virtue of having the latest tech and tweaks. It won't necessarily drive better or be driven by a good enough driver that it'll show a difference but there's no reason not to get the FL unless the above applies.
We're not talking about a vintage car here :)

You jest my man, not a vintage car?? PFL S3 was the first and last true 8V classic!! lol

I agree with most of what of what you say although judging from what's been said over on the black edition thread I think it's fair to say deals on PFL are considerably better than FL just now!

The new exhaust noises are worth it alone in my opinion ;-)
The FL exhaust sounds better than the PFL? First I've heard of this. What's this attributed to? Any comparison videos?

Reactions: Simon L
I am convinced that the FL cars will be more reliable too!

Would be interested on why you regard the PFL to be less reliable than it should be compared to the competition?

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
There's no data yet to show whether the FL is more/less reliable than the PFL for a start so it's kind of a pointless argument...
You'd assume that Audi have taken into account what was failing more often on the PFL to improve it on the FL (and that's not a given...) but at the same time some new tech like VC, Matrix lights, 7 speed DSG, etc... was introduced which could create new points of failure!
So basically there's no way to tell yet so don't forget the chill pill on your way out lol.

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 2 others
There's no data yet to show whether the FL is more/less reliable than the PFL for a start so it's kind of a pointless argument...
You'd assume that Audi have taken into account what was failing more often on the PFL to improve it on the FL (and that's not a given...) but at the same time some new tech like VC, Matrix lights, 7 speed DSG, etc... was introduced which could create new points of failure!
So basically there's no way to tell yet so don't forget the chill pill on your way out lol.

If I take any more pills I'll be spark out on the floor!! lol

New engines/tech (even tweaks) are gonna take a while to bed in so pretty much common sense like with anything new that faults are more likely in the first 12 mths or so.................

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 2 others
The FL exhaust sounds better than the PFL? First I've heard of this. What's this attributed to? Any comparison videos?
I think I've heard that in a couple of videos of the FL S3 on YouTube. I think "automann-tv" and "autogefühl" videos of the FL S3. Which one? I can't remember... Don't worry it's still no RS3 exhaust lol

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
If I take any more pills I'll be spark out on the floor!! lol

New engines/tech (even tweaks) are gonna take a while to bed in so pretty much common sense like with anything new that faults are more likely in the first 12 mths or so.................
We can start with an electroshock therapy when you're ready! :)

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and Simon L
Would be interested on why you regard the PFL to be less reliable than it should be compared to the competition?

Not compared to competition. I was just comparing PFL with FL.

I assumed that Audi would have fixed a lot of small bugs in the FL. That's what car manufacturers do. A lot of the TSB fixes would already be implemented in the FL. This is standard engineering practice.

That said, for the European market, yes the new engine and DSG tweaks might also introduce new bugs. However, in NA, we don't get any of these new stuff....so no added bugs for sure...we will just get a more reliable car overall.

Reactions: pburv and SpeedyFrog

I assumed that Audi would have fixed a lot of small bugs in the FL. That's what car manufacturers do. A lot of the TSB fixes would already be implemented in the FL. This is standard engineering practice.

That said, for the European market, yes the new engine and DSG tweaks might also introduce new bugs. However, in NA, we don't get any of these new stuff....so no added bugs for sure...we will just get a more reliable car overall.

What?? You don't get the new engine and 7-speed? That's a bit cr4p!!

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
What?? You don't get the new engine and 7-speed? That's a bit cr4p!!

Yup, NA market gets the same PFL DSG and 292hp engine. I wonder if we even get the louder exhaust or the haldex tune as well....

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 1 other person
Yup, NA market gets the same PFL DSG and 292hp engine. I wonder if we even get the louder exhaust or the haldex tune as well....
To be fair though a lot of your NA colleagues are still happy to be running around in pick up trucks sporting ladder frame chassis's which date back to the horse & cart so accepting automotive progress can be glacial across the pond in some quarters lol

Reactions: pburv, glospete, Audi Bairn and 5 others

I blame Trump, gotta be something to do with him!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, richinsoton and 4 others
I blame Trump, gotta be something to do with him!! lol

IMG 2964

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Maybe be was sold a lemon by Audi like I was :whistle2:

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 3 others

I must be one of the PFL brigade...LOL and l say go buy a....TTS...black Ed....

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Rob2k68 and 2 others
Someone going to explain to me about these louder farts the FL....does and what's you lot putting in that fuel tank...to achieve this.....*** lol

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Simon L and 2 others
I must be one of the PFL brigade...LOL and l say go buy a....TTS...black Ed....
You're a girls blouse though!

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Simon L and 1 other person
Someone going to explain to me about these louder farts the FL....does and what's you lot putting in that fuel tank...to achieve this.....*** lol

I suspect it's the upgrade we weren't told about......more decibels to the in cabin engine noise thingy

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Jassyo06 and 2 others

Splitting hears really as Audi's are generally pretty reliable unless you get the lemon but....

Your logic does not follow, late model PFL will in theory have the best reliability as most bugs fixed and the FL likely to have slightly worse reliability as whatever the new technology that had been incorporated in the FL will not have been fully debugged yet.

Reactions: pburv, richinsoton, Rob2k68 and 2 others