Facelift Is the S3 facelift worth it?

I am going to raise an opinion. I ordered an S3 with NO virtual cockpit, as I preferred the analog gauges. I looked at VC display on other models prior to ordering and was not impressed with the graphics. My initial reaction was, this is cool looking but it is not as easy to read as analog. Map display is interesting but I prefer the MMI location for the map display. I do not like the Audi nav system, as I prefer Google maps and can now use Google maps offline with no data charges through the new smartphone feature and displayed on the MMI.
Just my observations, comments?

Reactions: pburv, WarwickL, richinsoton and 3 others
Splitting hears really as Audi's are generally pretty reliable unless you get the lemon but....

Your logic does not follow, late model PFL will in theory have the best reliability as most bugs fixed and the FL likely to have slightly worse reliability as whatever the new technology that had been incorporated in the FL will not have been fully debugged yet.

My PFL has a lot of minor annoyances that were fixed in the last year of the PFL. I will definitely have more confidence in the FL.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and SpeedyFrog
I am going to raise an opinion. I ordered an S3 with NO virtual cockpit, as I preferred the analog gauges. I looked at VC display on other models prior to ordering and was not impressed with the graphics. My initial reaction was, this is cool looking but it is not as easy to read as analog. Map display is interesting but I prefer the MMI location for the map display. I do not like the Audi nav system, as I prefer Google maps and can now use Google maps offline with no data charges through the new smartphone feature and displayed on the MMI.

There is a good chance I will order a FL S3 and I will also go with NO virtual cockpit. I am old-schooled and prefer the analog gauges as well.

Reactions: pburv, WarwickL, Simon L and 1 other person

Tech pack advanced with virtual cockpit includes an unlimited data sim, so no ongoing charges for maps (Google maps). The system also keeps a cache of map images (areas you've travelled to) for offline use. The VC is very easy to read, and brightness adjusts depending on the ambient light, so even in direct sunlight it's very visible and clear. I've had the VC in the TT for the last 16 months and don't even think of it as a screen now, it's become second nature to look at and use.

Edit: if the FL didn't have the virtual cockpit, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Simon L and 3 others
All in all, there is not much difference between the two... Well that's only if you drive a race car and can distinguish between slight mechanical changes (most can't). Engines are the same, the 7 speed is used prior, there is just really updated exisiting tech and front/rear cosmetic changes, If that's what matters to you.

Personally, I would look for a CPO with Audicare (granted, this is what is offered in the states, not sure if you get the same) which will grant you a better warranty (nearly double) and at least $10k off the new sticker price.

I bought CPO and saved roughly $15k after negotiations, and have just surpassed the original sticker price with my list of engine/suspension mods.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
Tech pack advanced with virtual cockpit includes an unlimited data sim, so no ongoing charges for maps (Google maps). The system also keeps a cache of map images (areas you've travelled to) for offline use. The VC is very easy to read, and brightness adjusts depending on the ambient light, so even in direct sunlight it's very visible and clear. I've had the VC in the TT for the last 16 months and don't even think of it as a screen now, it's become second nature to look at and use.

Edit: if the FL didn't have the virtual cockpit, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
I second that.
Initial impression might be negative but it's a fantastic piece of kit!

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Koomerang and 3 others
You're a girls blouse though!

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

Some peeps can be so predictable girls blouse eh.................With great taste in cars buddy, lest you not forget.....

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Simon L and 2 others
Some peeps can be so predictable girls blouse eh.................With great taste in cars buddy, lest you not forget.....
TTS you said... Ok Jasmine

Reactions: WarwickL and Gordo77
TTS you said... Ok Jasmine

Go explain am thick what's a lipstick gotta do with best handling car Audi build? is it the colour or what....lol

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Simon L and 1 other person
Go explain am thick what's a lipstick gotta do with best handling car Audi build? is it the colour or what....lol
Yes Jasmine, the colour!

Reactions: Gordo77
I've come from a prefacelift to a facelift and I must say it feels considerably faster.. I love the new gearbox especially crusing on the motorway! And the exhaust pops and bangs now too! Also unless your paying cash it won't be cost effective to buy a year old prefacelift. My guess is it would end up costing just as much as a new facelift s3...

Id have to agree, the car feels more complete and the new 7 speed DSG is such a great improvement

The new exhaust noises are worth it alone in my opinion ;-)

Im glad its not just me :) were tuning ours tomorrow and intend to fire the go pro up so will try and get some videos of the pops and bangs

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and SpeedyFrog
Let's just wrap this thread up... is the S3 facelift worth it...?

YES !!!

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and 3 others
Is the 7 speed s-tronic a brand new development or the one from RS3?

The new exhaust noises are worth it alone in my opinion ;-)

I've seen this mentioned on some reviews Allan, just how different is it?
Is it on both up shifting and down shifting?

The facelift version gets audio track advance and rewind buttons on the steering wheel. That's enough to get my vote.

Reactions: pburv, allanmb, SpeedyFrog and 2 others
The facelift's new bodykit looks naff if you ask me. Way too garish. 7SPD is a plus if you go auto (which any sane UK driver should), other than that, if you can get the Pre-facelift cheaper, then buy that.

Reactions: rasA4, pburv, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I initially though the FL front looked off..but I am now a fan! I understand what they are trying to do...

and...the FL S3 diffuser is definitely better than the PFL S3 diffuser... YET!, the FL A3 diffuser looks really off compared to the PFL diffuser.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
I initially though the FL front looked off..but I am now a fan! I understand what they are trying to do...

and...the FL S3 diffuser is definitely better than the PFL S3 diffuser... YET!, the FL A3 diffuser looks really off compared to the PFL diffuser.
I don't agree. I think the rear FL diffuser looks garbage. Why that tacky plastic around the tailpipes, and why the Americanized bicycle reflectors? Completely ridiculous, and actually lowers the brand for me. It's like it's trying to compete with the Focus ST/RS for some reason.

One of the reasons I like my S3 is because it's a Wolf in Sheeps clothing. A lot of people get suprised when they pull alongside thinking it's an A3.

Reactions: WarwickL
The facelift's new bodykit looks naff if you ask me. Way too garish. 7SPD is a plus if you go auto (which any sane UK driver should), other than that, if you can get the Pre-facelift cheaper, then buy that.

Well you are definitely not going to like the 2018 RS3 :screamcat:

I don't agree. I think the rear FL diffuser looks garbage. Why that tacky plastic around the tailpipes, and why the Americanized bicycle reflectors? Completely ridiculous, and actually lowers the brand for me. It's like it's trying to compete with the Focus ST/RS for some reason.

One of the reasons I like my S3 is because it's a Wolf in Sheeps clothing. A lot of people get suprised when they pull alongside thinking it's an A3.

To each his own.

I own a PFL and I do find that the best exterior change of the FL is the rear diffuser, especially for the S3. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding the reflectors. We have always had reflectors in the rear for our market.

The FL will be the same, people will still think an S3 is an A3...I mean..it kinda is...it is just a sportier A3 anyways...

Reactions: Gordo77
The facelift is more than just a few updates. I've had the 'opportunity' to directly compare 5000 miles in a very late (April '16 build) PFL S3 with my new facelift S3, and while I've only done a couple of hundred miles in the new car, already I've noted a number of things that have been improved, even if only in the most minor way. These tiny improvements add up to a car that 'feels' rather different to the one I just handed over.

Even tiny things, like the way the parking sensors gently fade to silence when you've stopped approaching an obstacle are a godsend. I had a new Astra a few weeks ago, and the parking sensors were loud enough and insistent enough to actually spur me into looking up a Spanish translation for 'parking sensor' so I could pull the ****** fuse.

The cabin is quieter (this may or may not be a function of not having pano roof anymore), the MMI talks to Spotify on my phone. The MMI dial turns the correct way to go up and down menus. I can advance and rewind tracks on the steering wheel (a major irritation on the PFL) The headlights are little short of amazing, and make the PFL LED's look like the hopeless rubbish they are. The B&O sounds better than the old car.

The car doesn't feel any faster, despite its extra power, but it does feel 'better'. There's something I can't quite resolve in the behaviour of the chassis that makes it markedly nicer to drive than the outgoing car. Certainly the steering feels more talkative (could be the different tyres though), but there is a quality in the ride that wasn't there before though. Sadly my **** is not finely tuned enough to tell you what exactly it is that's different, but it definitely feels 'better'.

Of course, none of this is really sufficient reason to change from a PFL if you already have one. These are what I've discovered after a couple of hours, and I imagine there is yet more to discover once I start playing with mag-ride and Quattro settings and throwing it through a few favoured bends. But based on my experience so far, I'd say the FL is definitely worth having over an older car, and given the choice there would need to be significant financial reasons needed for me to opt for an older car instead.

Reactions: rasA4, pburv, SpeedyFrog and 1 other person
The facelift is more than just a few updates. I've had the 'opportunity' to directly compare 5000 miles in a very late (April '16 build) PFL S3 with my new facelift S3, and while I've only done a couple of hundred miles in the new car, already I've noted a number of things that have been improved, even if only in the most minor way. These tiny improvements add up to a car that 'feels' rather different to the one I just handed over.

Even tiny things, like the way the parking sensors gently fade to silence when you've stopped approaching an obstacle are a godsend. I had a new Astra a few weeks ago, and the parking sensors were loud enough and insistent enough to actually spur me into looking up a Spanish translation for 'parking sensor' so I could pull the ****** fuse.

The cabin is quieter (this may or may not be a function of not having pano roof anymore), the MMI talks to Spotify on my phone. The MMI dial turns the correct way to go up and down menus. I can advance and rewind tracks on the steering wheel (a major irritation on the PFL) The headlights are little short of amazing, and make the PFL LED's look like the hopeless rubbish they are. The B&O sounds better than the old car.

The car doesn't feel any faster, despite its extra power, but it does feel 'better'. There's something I can't quite resolve in the behaviour of the chassis that makes it markedly nicer to drive than the outgoing car. Certainly the steering feels more talkative (could be the different tyres though), but there is a quality in the ride that wasn't there before though. Sadly my **** is not finely tuned enough to tell you what exactly it is that's different, but it definitely feels 'better'.

Of course, none of this is really sufficient reason to change from a PFL if you already have one. These are what I've discovered after a couple of hours, and I imagine there is yet more to discover once I start playing with mag-ride and Quattro settings and throwing it through a few favoured bends. But based on my experience so far, I'd say the FL is definitely worth having over an older car, and given the choice there would need to be significant financial reasons needed for me to opt for an older car instead.

Fully agreed.

Although I have no proof, but I strongly believe that the FL will be more reliable as well. That's actually the main reason why I am seriously considering one. My PFL has too many minor annoyances.

Agree completely - although looks are subjective, the styling cues Audi introduced are naff and totally off centre for a car like the S3.

Just hideous. I am astounded especially with that nasty cheap rear diffuser - how embarrassing for them. Totally at odds with the rest of the car.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Agree completely - although looks are subjective, the styling cues Audi introduced are naff and totally off centre for a car like the S3.

Just hideous. I am astounded especially with that nasty cheap rear diffuser - how embarrassing for them. Totally at odds with the rest of the car.

If you think the FL S3 diffuser looks cheap, the PFL S3 diffuser looks even cheaper. The material is the same and the PFL S3 has much smaller fins and is much more 2-D.

As you said, I guess this is subjective...

Reactions: SpeedyFrog
If you think the FL S3 diffuser looks cheap, the PFL S3 diffuser looks even cheaper. The material is the same and the PFL S3 has much smaller fins and is much more 2-D.

As you said, I guess this is subjective...
Looks are subjective, styling design isn't.

I fully understand FL owners defending their purchase and justifying it but Audi messed up what was a subtle rear that was in keeping with the rest of the car.

As for the matrix led's - they really aren't that special versus the PFL leds other than the nice way they switch.

Personally the 2019 coupe is of more interest but doubt I'll be in an Audi by then

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person

I fully understand FL owners defending their purchase and justifying it but Audi messed up what was a subtle rear that was in keeping with the rest of the car.

LOL, I have a PFL. so I consider my opinion relatively unbiased...

The FL S3 diffuser does look better than the PFL. I fully understand some PFL owners defending their cars vs. the FL.

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog and Rob2k68

As for the matrix led's - they really aren't that special versus the PFL leds other than the nice way they switch.

Personally the 2019 coupe is of more interest but doubt I'll be in an Audi by then

I'm afraid I agree although likely I'll get bollocked again for being prejudice ;)

I think there's been some nice little advances, most of which Grant has covered in his various posts, but styling wasn't one of them for me anyway.

Sadly that goes for the RS3 too although I could still be swayed by the sound and power :)

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
I'm afraid I agree although likely I'll get bollocked again for being prejudice ;)

I think there's been some nice little advances, most of which Grant has covered in his various posts, but styling wasn't one of them for me anyway.

Sadly that goes for the RS3 too although I could still be swayed by the sound and power :)

I fully disagree that the RS3 styling is not better than the PFL or even the FL in all directions.

The RS3 doesn't have the "main gripe" that people have regarding the FL S3 (the smiley face). It just looks spot on in every single way.

I fully disagree that the RS3 styling is not better than the PFL or even the FL in all directions.

The RS3 doesn't have the "main gripe" that people have regarding the FL S3 (the smiley face). It just looks spot on in every single way.

Sorry I must have missed the PFL RS3 Saloon ........where's that again??

Agree with you on the smiley grill though ;)

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68

Trust me, having just stepped out of one and into the other and directly compared them. The old LEDs are utter rubbish in comparison with the new lamps even in dipped (no matrix active) mode. When in full matrix mode, it's like comparing a candle to a maglite.

As for looks, styling and design? It's all subjective. What appeals to you may not appeal to others, and vice versa. I see the styling aspects of the facelift as a bit of an update to a car that's more familiar to us all, but it's not revolutionary, and in the end not important. You can't see any of it from behind the wheel, where the two are so visually similar that the judgement must really be made on function and feel. So far, the facelift feels much nicer to drive than the older car.

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and 1 other person

For am RS3 it is boring in looks. Should have had flared arches at least.

Meh

Reactions: pburv and Simon L
Loving this thread...

I agree...

I disagree...

I fully agree...

I don't agree...

Agree completely...

Fully agreed...

... what a load of old ******** some people talk. People will always defend what they have, or what they have purchased.

Here's my answer... "I don't care"... I buy what I want and what suits me.

Goodbye and goodnight. :D

Reactions: Joe4842, richinsoton, pburv and 5 others
LOL, if you've been following my posts on the PFL S3, you'll realise I've rarely 'defended' it :D

Well, only when V8 was here and that was to troll ;)

Edit - good morning here :)

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I didn't think the PFL was much but Audi made it even worse on the FL - such a shame

I still don't understand why the FL rear diffuser is worse than the PFL.......

For am RS3 it is boring in looks. Should have had flared arches at least.

Meh

Yea, it might be boring for a typical RS model, but it is by far and I mean really by far much better looking than any A3 or S3 PFL or FL.

Loving this thread...

I agree...

I disagree...

I fully agree...

I don't agree...

Agree completely...

Fully agreed...

... what a load of old ******** some people talk. People will always defend what they have, or what they have purchased.

Here's my answer... "I don't care"... I buy what I want and what suits me.

Goodbye and goodnight. :D

.......night night!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, WarwickL and 1 other person
LOL, if you've been following my posts on the PFL S3, you'll realise I've rarely 'defended' it :D

Well, only when V8 was here and that was to troll ;)

Edit - good morning here :)

Disagreeing with V8 was absolutely imperative.......some of the best laughs I've ever had on here lol

Reactions: WarwickL, pburv and Jassyo06
Trust me, having just stepped out of one and into the other and directly compared them. The old LEDs are utter rubbish in comparison with the new lamps even in dipped (no matrix active) mode. When in full matrix mode, it's like comparing a candle to a maglite.

That's a very good point. I know the PFL LED was rated poor by some US government agency. I wasn't surprised as it was not the projector type LED. I am waiting to test the FL S3 projector LED when it is available for testing.