is there a haldex upgrade for the s3?

redlinehigh

Reaction score
I curious if there is a haldex upgrade for this s3 that might bring in the 4 wheel drive sooner to help the push understeer? I see the new revised a45 merc now has a front torque diff as well to help round the corners!!

If you have facelift, you get this;
IMG 4094
IMG 4091

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and WarwickL
What does the quattro settings do in reality?

Reactions: rcnacura, Simon L and WarwickL
So I wonder if the new haldex feature in the mmi is essentially what you can do on the PFL, via vcd... Change the xds settings on the fly.

If that's the case, the FL doesn't really have new haldex software from the PFL, just software that is more accessible to the end user via mmi.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68, Forbzeeee and GSB
So I wonder if the new haldex feature in the mmi is essentially what you can do on the PFL, via vcd... Change the xds settings on the fly.

If that's the case, the FL doesn't really have new haldex software from the PFL, just software that is more accessible to the end user via mmi.

Did you finish your testing the XDS settings and if so, what were your findings?

I wonder if anyone is actually working on some kind of Haldex controller for this model, info seems sparse.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and rcnacura
Did you finish your testing the XDS settings and if so, what were your findings?

I wonder if anyone is actually working on some kind of Haldex controller for this model, info seems sparse.
Ya there is a difference, but not a HUGE difference. Ultimately the car is fwd biased and the haldex will put power down, but will never act like a true awd car... Front wheels are priority and the haldex kicks in, regards of xds setting, after the front start slipping.

I tried the standard and the strong setting at Laguna, but also still have the ecs on too as I want confidenent enough to turn it off. Going back in December and will test again will ecs fully off to see if the back end will come out (and figure out the misfire issues).

Reactions: Rob2k68, S3 Turbo and Forbzeeee
XDS has nothing to do with Haldex... XDS is essentially torque vectoring through braking, the VCDS setting sets the amount of brake applied to the inside wheel while turning, if you have XDS on strong and go at it in full on a track, chances are you'll overheat your brake and eat up your pads in no time...

I'm really interested on what the Haldex setting does on the FL though, I doubt it would cure the understeers, heck, even the upcoming RS3 Sedan understeers like no tomorrow and it's supposed to be ECU controlled Haldex rather than by the Haldex unit itself? But then, anything is better than the PFL Haldex LOL

Reactions: Rob2k68
XDS has nothing to do with Haldex... XDS is essentially torque vectoring through braking, the VCDS setting sets the amount of brake applied to the inside wheel while turning, if you have XDS on strong and go at it in full on a track, chances are you'll overheat your brake and eat up your pads in no time...

I'm really interested on what the Haldex setting does on the FL though, I doubt it would cure the understeers, heck, even the upcoming RS3 Sedan understeers like no tomorrow and it's supposed to be ECU controlled Haldex rather than by the Haldex unit itself? But then, anything is better than the PFL Haldex LOL

Golf R and RS3 have XDS medium setting as standard while S3 has weak.
At least increasing it to medium ought to be safe...

If that's the case than I guess medium should be safe... But I don't need to, I'm still soooo in love with the H&R rear sway only upgrade, the turn in is sooooo shape and exactly how I like it now. And had a good run in heavy rain today, EPC came on from time to time but not nearly as often as I'd imagine, a little more help from Haldex would be perfect tho...:laughing:

Reactions: Rob2k68 and S3 Turbo
Golf R and RS3 have XDS medium setting as standard while S3 has weak.
At least increasing it to medium ought to be safe...
I was on strong and the first session on the track all, finished and all four wheels brakes were smoking.

Isn't xcp (or whatever it is called) apart of the haldex too? I have that deactivated.

I was on strong and the first session on the track all, finished and all four wheels brakes were smoking.

Isn't xcp (or whatever it is called) apart of the haldex too? I have that deactivated.

Yeah.. I'm afraid that's exactly my point.. Just leave it on weak and don't mess with it, it won't help you get the back end out in any way possible, all it does is to help with shaper turn in by braking the inside wheels to act like a differential. But like I said, you can do that easily by upgrading the rear sway bar only, and you'll have much better chance getting the tail out that way while saving your brakes...

And is it a part of Haldex.. I guess since it's the torque vectoring part of the system, but I don't think A45 which also uses Haldex has it though, not sure...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and rcnacura
Yeah.. I'm afraid that's exactly my point.. Just leave it on weak and don't mess with it, it won't help you get the back end out in any way possible, all it does is to help with shaper turn in by braking the inside wheels to act like a differential. But like I said, you can do that easily by upgrading the rear sway bar only, and you'll have much better chance getting the tail out that way while saving your brakes...

And is it a part of Haldex.. I guess since it's the torque vectoring part of the system, but I don't think A45 which also uses Haldex has it though, not sure...
Ya, I want to turn it off for next time in December @ Laguna Seca again. I wonder if the haldex setting is in the long coding of the braking or transmission.

Guess not until we have better coding from a PFL, we can compare... Tho the PFL coding seems to be a little more complex it looks like.

Wonder if @DJAlix has the passwords for those modules.

Don't think I've heard of it, where did you see it??

Another option in the vcd in the braking adaption.

Ya, I want to turn it off for next time in December @ Laguna Seca again. I wonder if the haldex setting is in the long coding of the braking or transmission.

Guess not until we have better coding from a PFL, we can compare... Tho the PFL coding seems to be a little more complex it looks like.

Wonder if @DJAlix has the passwords for those modules.

People seem to be happy with the xds mod in general and if medium setting works for Golf R, don't think it would be worse for the S3...

But ofcourse the wear and tear during heavy track driving is on a completely different level than usual inspired road driving...

Reactions: Rob2k68, pburv and rcnacura