Is there that much difference in MPG between the S5 B8 and the S3 8P?

LynxE

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting an S3 8P and have been reading up a fair bit but then I thought about the S5 B8. Looking at the MPG they aren't that disimilar. Seems through normal driving the S3 will be in the low 20s and the S5 will be around 20. Both seem to drop drastically with heavy foot.

Can anyone confirm this or have any thoughts?

Seems both can be had for around the same price. I don't need a large car but the S5 is such a stunning car and looks better than the S3 and also you get a lot more including power, comfort and toys for the same price. Surely fuel costs would roughly be the same and I'm not ***** say paying 50 quid a month more for the S5, though I'm not a rich man so every day won't be me flooring it.

Have I read up correctly on that? Or is the S5 significantly more thirsty when driven sporty? I read the 2.0TFSI can drink oil and that the 4.2 V8 is a better engine. Seems the clutch is a bad point on the S5 but then it seems there's more issues with the S3 but they can be fixed cheaply (PCV valve, cam follow, oil pickup etc)

But the S5 is lovely

Ive had both, the S3 8p (manual) and the V8 S5 (manual).

That V8 is very thirsty. Even just cruising it eats fuel like nobody’s business. If you are even remotely concerned about consumption don’t buy a V8.
I had remus back boxes on mine and the sound was intoxicating. Havent owned it for over 5 years and i still miss it!

I went back to check old emails, This is from my petrol card invoices (where they record my milage and L's on fill up)

ACT:FUEL L/100KMS 18.92 Jan 2015
ACT:FUEL L/100KMS 19.26 Feb 2015

Reactions: LynxE
If the S5 your talking about is the 2.0TFSI... Don't go for one that is before 2012 plate unless you can be sure the Oil issue has been done. I had the B8 A4 2.0 2011 plate and it has chocolate pistons that results in you topping up a ltr of oil every 600miles! The work costs around £5k to fix, new pistons/conrods etc!! Luckily Audi covered my costs... I can't remember the engine code for the affected ones, I'm sure someone will come back with this.

The S3 8P3 08/12 has the CDL engine which doesn't suffer from the oil consumption issues. The S5 and S3 have similar mpg, depending on how you drive, either way, they're not particularly frugal.

If the S5 your talking about is the 2.0TFSI... Don't go for one that is before 2012 plate unless you can be sure the Oil issue has been done. I had the B8 A4 2.0 2011 plate and it has chocolate pistons that results in you topping up a ltr of oil every 600miles! The work costs around £5k to fix, new pistons/conrods etc!! Luckily Audi covered my costs... I can't remember the engine code for the affected ones, I'm sure someone will come back with this.
The B8 S5 never had a 2.0TFSI engine; pre-facelift (so from 2007-2012) it had a 4.2 litre normaally aspirated V8. Post-facelift (so from 2012-2015) it had a 3.0 supercharged V6.

Ive had both, the S3 8p (manual) and the V8 S5 (manual).

That V8 is very thirsty. Even just cruising it eats fuel like nobody’s business. If you are even remotely concerned about consumption don’t buy a V8.
I had remus back boxes on mine and the sound was intoxicating. Havent owned it for over 5 years and i still miss it!

I went back to check old emails, This is from my petrol card invoices (where they record my milage and L's on fill up)

ACT:FUEL L/100KMS 18.92 Jan 2015
ACT:FUEL L/100KMS 19.26 Feb 2015

So you're saying there was a difference between the S3 and S5 then?

It's just that I've around and had replies in other places and it seem the S5 is around the same MPG if not a bit better

My 2015 S4 with the later CREC 3litre V6 does low 30's on a run (around the 80mph mark) and low to middle 20 around town, of course that's subject to how I drive it!
That's with a stage 1 tune and induction mods.

At the end of the day consumption has A LOT to do with driving style. the lighter the foot the less fuel you use HOWEBER
a 2.0T will NEVER use as much fuel as an N/A 4.2 V8.

At the end of the day consumption has A LOT to do with driving style. the lighter the foot the less fuel you use HOWEBER
a 2.0T will NEVER use as much fuel as an N/A 4.2 V8.
I'm getting the opposite info from eveything I'm reading. Seems the S3 can be even more thirsty than the S5. Maybe it's to do with low rev torque in the S5?