Is this a known issue? Oil level.

Chalkymon

Reaction score
Howdo guys, your assistance please. Proud owner of 2008 4.2 V8. Went for a cheeky squirt today & whilst cruising along the motorway I had an amber warning flash up. (Low Oil level Add 1 litre) On stopping at the next services I checked the oil (changed within the last few months) the level was spot on, hasn't lost a drop. I imagine it's a level sensor fault? Is this common & if so does anyone know it's location? After restarting the engine the light has failed to return but I'd rather have it 100% reliable. I have my own garage business & therefore will carry out any tasks myself. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20151023_143629.JPG
    IMG_20151023_143629.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: CMC81
Hi I had two R8s now since 2008 both have the yellow oil light add 1 litre oil now and then even when it was new and done only 2k it is normal and it will reset when switch off, it will appear sometime on a long run again but if you add 1 litre of oil as required it will disappear altogether. I quest it can burn up oil when push hard.

Reactions: Chalkymon
All V8 cars i have owned have done this, to behonest i never question it and top it up when it asks me to.
Thanks for your input mate. The issue has long since failed to reoccur which is more than welcome news. One thing I did discover was upon checking the oil level on the dipstick after the car had been stationary for over a week, it really did read low. I guess I topped up with two thirds of a litre to get it right. Lesson learned I feel.

I usually find around 2000 miles it comes on, my old E92 M3 would do it every 1000.

For the sake of 15 quid i carry a ltr in the car all the time and just replace as i top it up. I was surprised at how much oil the R8 holds.

I usually find around 2000 miles it comes on, my old E92 M3 would do it every 1000.

For the sake of 15 quid i carry a ltr in the car all the time and just replace as i top it up. I was surprised at how much oil the R8 holds.
That's exactly what I do mate. Thanks to the particularly generous luggage bay up front there's loads of space for spare oil & such. I think the original concern I had was the car had barely done more than 2-300 miles since the main dealer oil change (which cost a fortune) I just don't think they gave enough settle time after filling? All sorted now anyway. Thanks again for the comments. Stay in touch mate.
Chalkster

That's great news to everyone, we certainly pick some great knowledge here, keep it up mats
I recerntly put a GT spoiler on my and got the info here to disarm rear lift. Fantastic!!

Reactions: Chalkymon
That's great news to everyone, we certainly pick some great knowledge here, keep it up mats
I recerntly put a GT spoiler on my and got the info here to disarm rear lift. Fantastic!!
You're right pal. This is a great forum to be involved with. Stay in touch mate.
Chalkster

Howdo mate. Hope you're keeping well & still enjoying your car? I've not been able to drive mine for the last five months! Hoping to address that in the next wk or two. All the best.
Chalkster

Howdo mate. Hope you're keeping well & still enjoying your car? I've not been able to drive mine for the last five months! Hoping to address that in the next wk or two. All the best.
Chalkster
Hi there
Been away lots, not drove mine too, locked up in garage with a charger,
I have changed my V8 to V10 with full GT spec . It will be good for a meet up if your not to far away
Am in the northwest region my number 07761 428993
Best regards
James