Is this normal? :/

dannyh1991uk

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well im blocked in my parking space at work and the cars running as im keeping warm waiting for the complete inconsiderate ******** comes to move his crappy vauxhall...

But sitting here iv noticed there is a considerable amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust.

I have an 06 2.0 tdi which i had about a month... I do have warranty but i aint going to complain unless im sure theres something wrong. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392052934226105
I do have a video of like 1min long showing the smoke but i cant send that yet :/

Danny, it could be just condensation due to the cold weather. That is water that has condensed inside the exhaust pipes, boiling off due to the heating of the pipes while you are waiting. If the 'white smoke' quickly disappears when you drive off, I should not worry too much. Cheers.

Reactions: dannyh1991uk
Cheers mate, it had been parked up for 8 hours at work and temp outside was like 3-4 degrees.
I just thought the smoke was a bit excessive although tbf it didn't linger or choke me. It did stop after about 10-15mins but was unsure about the quantity of smoke.
Just still a bit cautious about possible problems lol

if its a bkd 140 engine there's a slight chance on an 06 it may have the porous head issue if this smoke becomes an issue along with coolant loss with no apparent leak. which you've had it just a month, and I'm guessing you got it from a dealer, keep an eye on your coolant over the next couple of weeks and try to do a good bit of driving if cash and time allows

bought from a dealer and owned for under 6 months, you're covered by the sale of goods act for 6 months from the purchase date, regardless of a garage who might claim sold as seen, and its not for you to prove it was faulty when you bought it, its for them to prove it wasn't, which they usually cant, and if its a porous head, they definitely wont be able to prove it wasn't faulty 6 months ago

Reactions: dannyh1991uk
Yeah its BKD 140, it does only seem like it smokes when its cold so hopefully thats just condensation?
The coolant when i brought it was filled above the middle of the tank let alone between the limits, iv took some out now though so its about right.
Had the car from 7th Jan... In that time i have managed to do about 2k miles (600 since 27th Jan!) quite a lot of that is motorway as my girlfriend lives just a few junctions down.
And yup ironically purchased from BMW approved used cars, although they did have Audi themselves change the cambelt before i picked the car up :)

The coolant hasnt dropped, or at least that iv noticed anything...
The oil has dropped about 20% from max (when i picked the car up) over about 2k milage. But i presume this is about normal usage.