Is this the dreaded porous Cylinder Head!? Small amount of coolant loss & white smoke

davewalby

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Bought a lovely A3 2.0 Tdi (BKD engine) recently and had an issue with the central locking not working on any door other than the drivers door, but discovered it was the wiring loom where the drivers door meets the A-pillar - a couple of wires were cracked.

Anyway, since I bought the car I have noticed a very small amount of white smoke on start up, hardly anything. I have also been keeping an eye on the coolant as I know these are famous for it disappearing. It has used about 15mm (looking at the header tank), causing it to dip just below the minimum fill line and yesterday I took the oil cap off to check for mayo...there was none, but there was quite a bit of white smoke coming out of the oil cap hole. Armed with these warning signs I had a look at the coolant - there were no bubbles in the coolant at idle, but give it some revs and some tiny bubbles started appearing.

So it seems obvious there is a small amount of coolant getting into the oil...which I think i'm right in saying could possibly be from a leak in the Oil Cooler, EGR Cooler or the dreaded Cylinder Head!

I am going to whip off the Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler and pressure test them and cross my fingers it might be one of these. Failing that it might be new Cylinder Head time, as I plan on keeping the car for a few years.

If anyone can give me any extra info or things to test that would be awesome.

Also info on where the Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler are actually located in the engine bay would be great, I'm guessing the Oil Cooler is near the Oil Filter? and I think I read the EGR Cooler is on the back of the engine so it's a get the car in the air jobbie?

Is the Cylinder Head difficult to change? I am pretty handy with a spanner, changed an engine and gearbox before so not scared of doing big jobs, just wondering how difficult to do it will be on the BKD and how many hours/days it will probably take.

Also I have read the AMC heads are better quality that the OE Audi ones, anyone had any experience with changing the head for either an AMC or OE refurbished?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, so got the Oil Cooler and EGR Cooler off and pressure tested both to 70psi...no leaks.

So looks like it's almost certainly the head :( darn.

Have had a quote from Ivor Searle for a remanufactured head with brand new casting for £620+VAT...sounds ok and have heard great things about them.

Anyone had an Ivor Searle remanufactured head on theirs? Still going strong or have any gone again?

It may be just the head gasket has gone and the only way to find out is------remove the head of course.
If you have a post 2005 car then it should have the revision C head (stamped on the head but I can't remember where) and they are supposed to the best, cross my fingers.
As for Ivor Searle heads, I don't know I'm afraid.

Thanks Sooty.

Yeah it's a C revision head, but seemingly these do crack also.

Will be removing the head this weekend so will update when I have had a look! :/

Just a quick update - after removing seemingly endless amounts of nuts, bolts and pipes I finally got the Cylinder Head off.

What I found was a crack across both of the holes where the small dowel is, on the two centre cylinders...pics attached. This seems like a very poor design from Audi, very this walls between the valves.

I have since ordered a new AMC head and will be replacing the Audi one...fingers crossed these AMC heads are as good as I have read on the thread on here.

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_163023206.jpg
    IMG_20180403_163023206.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 2,735
  • IMG_20180403_163044339.jpg
    IMG_20180403_163044339.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 2,314
  • IMG_20180403_163102018.jpg
    IMG_20180403_163102018.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 2,306
  • IMG_20180403_163118710.jpg
    IMG_20180403_163118710.jpg
    566.1 KB · Views: 1,717
Yep, exactly, certainly not as good as they are cracked up to be (no pun intended initially, but now seems quite apt!).

Thanks, i'll need it :)

Reactions: aqibi2000