Issue with brake vibration

Alistair D

Hug your kids at home, but belt them in the car.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advise.
I have an A6 2011 C7 when I bought the car, a year past Sept, the cars'(feels like front) brakes were vibrating at the slightest touch, this was cured by the garage by renewing the pads.
Now the same fault is happening again having done 14,000mls more. The fault occurs when driving at speed and starts as soon as I touch the brake pedal, the vibration seems to lessen the more the pedal is pressed. They work as normal at town speeds. The pads look ok.
Has anyone had any experience of this?

Hi, I'm looking for some advise.
I have an A6 2011 C7 when I bought the car, a year past Sept, the cars'(feels like front) brakes were vibrating at the slightest touch, this was cured by the garage by renewing the pads.
Now the same fault is happening again having done 14,000mls more. The fault occurs when driving at speed and starts as soon as I touch the brake pedal, the vibration seems to lessen the more the pedal is pressed. They work as normal at town speeds. The pads look ok.
Has anyone had any experience of this?

100% it'll be friction material deposit on the brake disc, Alistar. You are not braking sufficiently hard enough to 'work' the pads/discs. And while the outside face of the brake disc friction surface may look good this doesn't follow that the inside face will be.

A new set of pads, especially a type with a running-in compound (such as EBC Redstuff) that 'scrub' the friction surface (both sides) during the bedding-in process will resolve your problem initially but then you need to brake harder. Most cars today have discs and pads way to large for road use and so we don't use 'em as we should... :racer:

And the RS3 is a classic example of BIG brakes and low use resulting in a myriad of issues to include vibration and low seed brake squeal which is of course vibration between brake pad backplate and piston, believe me! :readit:

For more information go see:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81, V6_Man, Phil Angel and 2 others
Thanks m8, i'll look into this:thumbs up:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thanks m8, i'll look into this:thumbs up:

Here's why I say inside and outside faces:

InsideOutside brake disc

My own RS3 offside front brake disc showing friction surfaces (nearside front brake disc was the same); obviously I'm one of them that don't brake hard enough... :sadlike:

And yes, I do know that inside/outside brake disc cooling is partly to blame - Audi having at least 4-updates on the 8P RS3 to resolve the issue and didn't/haven't...

PM sent... :readit:

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81, V6_Man and MuPPeT_ON_TouR
Can i just say what a brilliant and helpful reply to the original question....... never even thought about lack of braking pressure causing build up on the discs...... well done mate.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and 45bvtc
Can i just say what a brilliant and helpful reply to the original question....... never even thought about lack of braking pressure causing build up on the discs...... well done mate.

Thank's Phil; but allow me to expand it some: We run an 8J TT as well as the 8P RS3 and basically both cars are similar in size and weight (RS3 @ 2135kg and the TT @ 1635kg) and while the front suspension is similar the brakes are substantially different.

The front brakes on our TT have 312mm diameter brake discs, single piston sliding callipers, and 155 x 66mm pads: the RS3 has 370mm diameter brake discs, 4-pot fixed callipers, and 131 x 77mm pads: I'll let you do the math but they're not so different.

Both the TT and RS3 are DSG; both of our cars get driven in a ‘similar’ fashion. :racer:

Now, while our RS3 front brakes have been problematic from new the TT front brakes have remained faultless: both are 2011 cars and both have very similar mileage. I will argue the brakes of the TT work better because of its smaller discs and therefore working harder than those on the RS3, especially when considering current/typically UK road speed applications. On a race track it would be different, but I no longer do race track. Cars designed for 150mph braking do suffer around a Tesco car park mind, lol. The brakes on our TT with OEM pads are faultless! Our RS3 using EBC Redstuff brake pads is the same - the Audi/Brembo/Pagid OEM pads are somewhere else.

But back to the brake disc; in my own experience while the outside face of the brake disc might look fine with a smidgen of pick-up (vibration) and/or rust, you can be sure the inside face will ALWAYS be far, far worse.

Reactions: Phil Angel
Are the inside faces of the discs worse because that is the fixed side of the caliper ?
Funny how you never think of these things till someone mentions it.....lol

Are the inside faces of the discs worse because that is the fixed side of the caliper ?
Funny how you never think of these things till someone mentions it.....lol

I don' think so. I ran my Elan sans dirt shields for years and both sides of the brake disk/friction surfaces stayed clean and without problem

That said, working the brake disc ss much as possible is best; as with the internal combustion engine, low use results in glazed bores...

Engines and brakes prefer to be worked!

I had a subaru BRZ with vibration in the pedal, especially on light braking.

Front faces looked worn and had some stripes from bad pads, but didn't look not BAD. Rears on the other hand .. Take a look at the pic ... They were borderline dangerous!

IMG_1180.JPG.a5e6eef82389b20f742f617ba43de43c.JPG

Reactions: Phil Angel, Alistair D and 45bvtc
I had a subaru BRZ with vibration in the pedal, especially on light braking.

Front faces looked worn and had some stripes from bad pads, but didn't look not BAD. Rears on the other hand .. Take a look at the pic ... They were borderline dangerous!

IMG_1180.JPG.a5e6eef82389b20f742f617ba43de43c.JPG

100% Riccird1!!!
5187.gif
100% typical of what I find; that's the photo I've been looking for.

Sooooo many times I've found the same, an Audi A2 was the last time I'd seen it as bad as this - and I ought to have taken a photo.

And THIS is why I'd ask everyone, respectfully, to CHECK the INSIDE face of the brake disc as well as the outside.

Not much wear/lip on the disc either, Riccird1; who'd have thought the inside face of the brake disc could be in such condition and yet they regularly are.

Brilliant, thank you, well done; that'll make owners sit up and consider vibration under braking some...

Last edited:
Reactions: Thundercliffe81, Phil Angel, Alistair D and 1 other person
100% Riccird1!!!
5187.gif
That's the photo I've been looking for.

Sooooo many times I've found the same, an Audi A2 was the last time I'd seen it as bad as this - and I ought to have taken a photo.

And THIS is why I'd ask everyone, respectfully, to CHECK the INSIDE face of the brake disc as well as the outside.

Not much wear/lip on the disc either, Riccird1; who'd have thought the inside face of the brake disc could be in such condition and yet they regularly are.

Brilliant, thank you, well done; that'll make owners sit up some...
I was shocked to see it tbh! Didn't expect it at all. Although I knew they weren't good since the pedal had a pretty bad vibration to it.

I was shocked to see it tbh! Didn't expect it at all. Although I knew they weren't good since the pedal had a pretty bad vibration to it.

I DO know, I've seen it several times, and it sure is shocking to see.

BIG thanks to you for showing here....

For your BRZ I'd consider removing the inner dirt shields; mine (for the RS3) are safely stored:

Shields

I DO know, I've seen it several times, and it sure is shocking to see.

BIG thanks to you for showing here....

For your BRZ I'd consider removing the inner dirt shields; mine (for the RS3) are safely stored:

Traded the BRZ in for my current Audi A4. But yes, I never put the shields back on whenever I disassemble the hub.

I don' think so. I ran my Elan sans dirt shields for years and both sides of the brake disk/friction surfaces stayed clean and without problem

That said, working the brake disc ss much as possible is best; as with the internal combustion engine, low use results in glazed bores...

Engines and brakes prefer to be worked!

John so, what are saying is that I need to stop driving like Mr. Dave (why Ms. Daisy all the time ) as well as start braking as much hard as possible? I don't have any issues around 'drive it like you stole it', however I like to start braking from a safe distance unlike a typical Audi driver

John so, what are saying is that I need to stop driving like Mr. Dave (why Ms. Daisy all the time ) as well as start braking as much hard as possible? I don't have any issues around 'drive it like you stole it', however I like to start braking from a safe distance unlike a typical Audi driver

You'll need to monitor your 'new' braking components, Tash, and if you experience vibration then you'll know where to look. With our RS3 I regularly undertake 'heavy' braking away from other traffic, otherwise as you do I "like to start braking from a safe distance." With our A1 and TT I find a "heavy braking" sequence undertaken less frequent but still necessary for maintenance purposes. :racer:

Reactions: V6_Man and Thundercliffe81
You'll need to monitor your 'new' braking components, Tash, and if you experience vibration then you'll know where to look. With our RS3 I regularly undertake 'heavy' braking away from other traffic, otherwise as you do I "like to start braking from a safe distance." With our A1 and TT I find a "heavy braking" sequence undertaken less frequent but still necessary for maintenance purposes. :racer:

Very very useful tips John - much appreciated buddy. No vibrations from the braking as we speak. Going forward I am going to follow your suggestion; tis heavy braking and double seat belts for Mrs and maybe a something to cover my ears with as and when she moans about hard braking as well .

Will also follow the same on the A3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very very useful tips John - much appreciated buddy. No vibrations from the braking as we speak. Going forward I am going to follow your suggestion; tis heavy braking and double seat belts for Mrs and maybe a something to cover my ears with as and when she moans about hard braking as well .

Will also follow the same on the A3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries, Tash, anytime...:thumbs up:

I'll usually say to rs3copilot "I'm going to brake hard" at some point we both can see ahead and then we both know what's about to happen... :friends:

Last edited:
Reactions: V6_Man
100% it'll be friction material deposit on the brake disc, Alistar. You are not braking sufficiently hard enough to 'work' the pads/discs. And while the outside face of the brake disc friction surface may look good this doesn't follow that the inside face will be.

A new set of pads, especially a type with a running-in compound (such as EBC Redstuff) that 'scrub' the friction surface (both sides) during the bedding-in process will resolve your problem initially but then you need to brake harder. Most cars today have discs and pads way to large for road use and so we don't use 'em as we should... :racer:

And the RS3 is a classic example of BIG brakes and low use resulting in a myriad of issues to include vibration and low seed brake squeal which is of course vibration between brake pad backplate and piston, believe me! :readit:

For more information go see:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

Thanks again,
I've changed my braking habits over the last fortnight, braking harder and the occasional "emergency brake" and the vibrations have all but gone.
Load off my mind, car feels much better,
Cheers.

Reactions: Phil Angel, 45bvtc and V6_Man
Thanks again,
I've changed my braking habits over the last fortnight, braking harder and the occasional "emergency brake" and the vibrations have all but gone.
Cheers.

GREAT news Alistair, well done you; more effort on the brake pedal is way more cost effective than a new set of discs and pads - and ALL done from our favourite front right-hand seat... :racer:

Reactions: Kakatk, V6_Man and Alistair D
Thanks again,
Cheers.

And 1-month on, Alistair D; how is your 'brake vibration' now? :racer:

Reactions: Alistair D
And 1-month on, Alistair D; how is your 'brake vibration' now? :racer:
Brakes feel fine now, turns out I've not been correctly braking for more than 30 yrs!:thumbs up:
Thanks for your advice.
:smile new: