Issues with the A3 tech

Have you had tech related faults on your car.

• Yes I have had issues.

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No the car has not given me any tech related faults.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STmichael

Reaction score
Hello,
Just a quick poll to try and give us members who are waiting on delivery of their new cars some confidence in the tech. Please vote yes if you have encountered repeat issues with the ‘normal’ running of the tech (don’t include lack of wireless CarPlay/no 3rd screen etc (I think we all know the reasons behind that)), just genuine tech related faults.

Hello,
Just a quick poll to try and give us members who are waiting on delivery of their new cars some confidence in the tech. Please vote yes if you have encountered repeat issues with the ‘normal’ running of the tech (don’t include lack of wireless CarPlay/no 3rd screen etc (I think we all know the reasons behind that)), just genuine tech related faults.
So far just a the adaptive cruise control becoming inactive when cancelled and then re-enabled in stop-start traffic with with the distance setting at minimum.
My car was built in Jan ‘21 and it is an MHEV (mild hybrid).

My main intermittent fault is Drive system failure when giving it some beans in S mode

going into the stealers on tuesday to be checked

Sorry guys I have not made the results public. I have tried to correct it but cannot figure out how to. Please let me know how to do this otherwise I shall post the result at the end of the poll.

Sorry guys I have not made the results public. I have tried to correct it but cannot figure out how to. Please let me know how to do this otherwise I shall post the result at the end of the poll.
The results look public to me.
EE5F0DBC 8B4D 4D9B 8A64 AF9E116D1FA3

Should maybe have ‘yes’ split into two options; manual or stronic, as seems a lot more issues are related to stronic MHEV

Reactions: Santiago and AdamInKent
Oh dear, 7 - 0 thus far, not looking good for my incoming A3 S-Tronic MHEV...

Oh dear, 7 - 0 thus far, not looking good for my incoming A3 S-Tronic MHEV...
The issues I’ve had are minor. Missing speed limit on the nav, which won’t be rectified until functions in demand is available.

And secondly the MMI screen just goes blank every now and again when using Apple CarPlay, this seems to be linked to changing up a gear when putting my foot down and again it’s minor but is frustrating.

Should maybe have ‘yes’ split into two options; manual or stronic, as seems a lot more issues are related to stronic MHEV
I’ve looked into splitting the ‘yes’ answer as that is a valid point but I cannot seem to edit the poll now, unless I am doing something wrong..

sos warning light struck in the first 13 miles on the new car :)

That was built end of January.

Think I might have a way to turn the warning message off though - not ideal - but at least it gets rid of it.

Just going to test it once or twice more then will be able to share!

Reactions: SillyGoose
The issues I’ve had are minor. Missing speed limit on the nav, which won’t be rectified until functions in demand is available.

And secondly the MMI screen just goes blank every now and again when using Apple CarPlay, this seems to be linked to changing up a gear when putting my foot down and again it’s minor but is frustrating.
I better start memorising routes and not rely on Nav & or Android Auto. At least besides the technology sometimes throwing a tantrum, the actual driving of the car is not affected right? Eg...no one actually had an issue that the car would not move or like headlights won't turn on at night etc.

I better start memorising routes and not rely on Nav & or Android Auto. At least besides the technology sometimes throwing a tantrum, the actual driving of the car is not affected right? Eg...no one actually had an issue that the car would not move or like headlights won't turn on at night etc.
I sometimes feel like there is a jerkiness in the engine when taking off from a cold start (I have 35 TFSI Manual).

I'm getting that looked at too

Yea I’ve had no issues with the driving of the car itself or the lights etc, mine has matrix lights so I’ve been checking them as I was pretty impressed with how they work

Reactions: AdamInKent
I sometimes feel like there is a jerkiness in the engine when taking off from a cold start (I have 35 TFSI Manual).

I'm getting that looked at too
Yes but that one is well documented VAG 1.5 Evo TSI 150 Manual 'quirk.' Having had a Seat Leon (diesel though) previously, a lot of forum members there called it the Seat Leon FR 1.5Evo TSI Manual Kangaroo edition, as the jerkiness at its worse (when cold) tends to make the car 'kangaroo.' Looks like they still haven't yet sort these issues on the latest 1.5 Evo. On a separate note, I wished Audi released the 1.5TFSI 130 (and name it the 30TFSI) variant instead of a 1.0TFSI 110, which me personally, that's not an engine fitting of an Audi A3.

Not a very scientific survey but the results are in! 11 people voted and 100% of voters has tech issues with their car. Come on Audi this is not what we expect from a new car.

So far just a the adaptive cruise control becoming inactive when cancelled and then re-enabled in stop-start traffic with with the distance setting at minimum.
My car was built in Jan ‘21 and it is an MHEV (mild hybrid).
On the upside. I’ve had no more glitches since this single incident. The impression I’m getting from my own car is that the later builds are much less glitchy.

Reactions: Billy Shears
On the upside. I’ve had no more glitches since this single incident. The impression I’m getting from my own car is that the later builds are much less glitchy.
Same, I have one issue to sort other than that it’s been great.

also you’re less likely to get people responding if they’ve had no issues in surveys like this as they’re not passionate about it, anyone who’s been negatively impacted is far more likely to respond.

Reactions: AdamInKent and Billy Shears
Yeah I took that into account and thought the results would be swayed one way but I thought there could be some nice members who could give me a little confidence that things are getting sorted.

Last edited:
Exactly the thoughts I have, through YouTube and the forum it feels like nearly every car has issues.

But I sometimes take a step back and think of it like an amazon review, human nature means we are less likely to spend time voicing positive opinions but the moment we have been negatively impacted much more likely to speak up.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe the issues are wide spread - but I have had a few viewers comment that they've not had any issues.

So someone in Germany must know how to build the cars correctly lol - either that or the commenters on my channel work for Audi!

Hello, just got my brand new A3 1.5 MHEV. (may 2021). Found this topic on Google. I'm quite disappointed what I found just couple hours after delivery:

1. Cruise Control - does not work - pushing set button - no reaction
2. MyAudi App - same story - I can't put number from key and log in in my car (network issues)
3. I have ordered Connection Pack, but Apple CarPlay does not work, as well as Service Call button
5. Bang Olufsen Premium Sound sounds actually like a downgraded version od my previous B&O audi set in Audi A5 2015. Middle range is very weak and power is like in 280 W system - not 680 watts.
6. Couple minor issues, like scratching wipers.

I am confused, that's my third new car - first time I experience so many issues in a brand new car. What is wrong with dealers before delivery checklists? Set a repair on july 18. (fastest date).

Reactions: Mryolon
Hello, just got my brand new A3 1.5 MHEV. (may 2021). Found this topic on Google. I'm quite disappointed what I found just couple hours after delivery:

1. Cruise Control - does not work - pushing set button - no reaction
2. MyAudi App - same story - I can't put number from key and log in in my car (network issues)
3. I have ordered Connection Pack, but Apple CarPlay does not work, as well as Service Call button
5. Bang Olufsen Premium Sound sounds actually like a downgraded version od my previous B&O audi set in Audi A5 2015. Middle range is very weak and power is like in 280 W system - not 680 watts.
6. Couple minor issues, like scratching wipers.

I am confused, that's my third new car - first time I experience so many issues in a brand new car. What is wrong with dealers before delivery checklists? Set a repair on july 18. (fastest date).
Is the cruise control stalk in the on position? If it is pushed back (towards the front of the car) it will lock in the off position.

So you could try pull it back towards yourself to engage it, then the set button should work.

The app is buggy as hell, so you'll have to keep trying

I have checked Manual - cruise control signal sign simply doesn't appear on the instrument cluster - doesn't matter in what position stalk is. There is only Speed Limiter sign. Hope they fix it - to many issues. Can't hear music right, no navi, no cruise control...

I have checked Manual - cruise control signal sign simply doesn't appear on the instrument cluster - doesn't matter in what position stalk is. There is only Speed Limiter sign. Hope they fix it - to many issues. Can't hear music right, no navi, no cruise control...
Is it a European car? If so you may have had to add the cruise control from factory otherwise by default it only comes with the limiter.

Apologies if you have selected it in which case it would point towards a software issue.

Is it a European car? If so you may have had to add the cruise control from factory otherwise by default it only comes with the limiter.

Apologies if you have selected it in which case it would point towards a software issue.
Like Auzzam says. I am sure the lower spec A3’s only have the speed limiter and not cruise control. What is the spec of you A3?

That can't be right, are you listening over bluetooth or just radio? Most say you would need to tweak the sound settings a bit and give it few hrs for speakers to settle. Also would help if you perhaps put some high quality mp3s/lossless music via a USB stick in the USB. On another B&O thread someone helpfully put their settings that they felt sounded best to their ears.

Reactions: AdamInKent
Yes it is. I have this option in my car specs. Probably software issue. How they cannot checked it before delivery? :fearscream:

Reactions: auzzam_crd
Yes it is. I have this option in my car specs. Probably software issue. How they cannot checked it before delivery? :fearscream:
I really want to know what their pre-delivery check is. To me it seems useless as I had my car delivered with scratches etc so clearly they don't look!

I think they probably forgot to enable it on your car, hopefully a quick coding fix when you take it in

Reactions: rafaelll
So i"ve now got my car for over a week now, driven almost 350 miles on the clock, was expecting a plethora of gremlins with the technology. Sods law would state that this would come the next time I drive the car, but I hope not! The only thing I got was the SOS ping few times, which always went away after the restart. Looking at the Seat Leon forums, this is a common 'ping.' Car drives very well (despite 1.0) B&O now sounds like it shoud, despite being basic LED headlights, more than bright enough on unlit country roads. Car has 2x USB-C (release ver2 of the A3 8Y?) I only discovered that on the 'Sport trim' if you press the button with the 'door open' icon near where the front reading lights are, it triggers the 'exterior coming home' lights on/off.

I thought that button was to turn the interior lights on when a door was opened. My interior lights did not come on until a operated this button so the red led stayed on. Do not know if it affects the exterior lights as I have not been out in the dark yet.

I thought that button was to turn the interior lights on when a door was opened. My interior lights did not come on until a operated this button so the red led stayed on. Do not know if it affects the exterior lights as I have not been out in the dark yet.
It could very well be for that too. However two days ago I was trying to turn on the reading lights in the dark when in car already and well basically pressed every button in the vincinity Inc the SOS but that one popped opened so not that one. Why Audi doesn't back-light at least the one that turns the lights on I don't know. Anyway when I left the car can't help but notice external lights don't come on on lock or or unlock. Yday went to car to take something, thought what happens if I press that button, as didn't find coming home function in MMI menu. Sure enough when I locked and unlocked the DRLs came on when unlocked in daytime. However like you I need to test whether it comes on at night or not, but I'm sure it's that button I pressed then the ext lights stopped turning on at night.

I really want to know what their pre-delivery check is. To me it seems useless as I had my car delivered with scratches etc so clearly they don't look!

I think they probably forgot to enable it on your car, hopefully a quick coding fix when you take it in
Car came back to me from service. They fixed cruise control and Apple CarPlay. They just (probably) forgot to update software or factory didn't do it.

Two problems continues: MMI is loging me out, every time I turn engine off. I am forced to use MM as a guest only. B&O system is not playing like it should. Less power and lack of middle tones. They told me that this is normal - wait for software update. I used B&O in Audi A5 and HK in BMW 320D with similar power and difference is dramatic. Trying to find someone with same system to compare, but it will take time. Car rides great (35TFSI MHEV).

Reactions: DreamInCode
Car came back to me from service. They fixed cruise control and Apple CarPlay. They just (probably) forgot to update software or factory didn't do it.

Two problems continues: MMI is loging me out, every time I turn engine off. I am forced to use MM as a guest only. B&O system is not playing like it should. Less power and lack of middle tones. They told me that this is normal - wait for software update. I used B&O in Audi A5 and HK in BMW 320D with similar power and difference is dramatic. Trying to find someone with same system to compare, but it will take time. Car rides great (35TFSI MHEV).
Not sure if you're based in London, but if you are, myself and @auzzam_crd are both based in East London area, most Sunday AMs / early PMs I will be near Shepherds Bush Westfield area West London. More than happy to compare B&Os. Mine did sound pants (thought $|^+ I wasted money on this) first few drives/hrs. Now after 350 miles / 12hrs + with system always playing music, waaay better!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mryolon, auzzam_crd, AdamInKent and 1 other person
Not sure if you're based in London, but if you are, myself and @auzzam_crd are both based in East London area, most Sunday AMs / early PMs I will be near Shepherds Bush Westfield area West London. More than happy to compare B&Os. Mine did sound pants (thought $|^+ I wasted money on this) first few drives/hrs. Now after 350 miles / 12hrs + with system always playing music, waaay better!
Thanks for support but unfortunately, im not from UK :( Hope I will find someone here and let know what's goin on...

Reactions: auzzam_crd
After having my car delivered I had to visit Audi today to get the key registered with my audi app etc. Sorted it our within minutes, very impressed.

I have already experienced the SOS button fault and rev counter freezing. within 80 miles of driving. I mentioned it to the staff and they acknowledged the issue and said a software fix was due Mid Sept and to call back for the update.

After having my car delivered I had to visit Audi today to get the key registered with my audi app etc. Sorted it our within minutes, very impressed.

I have already experienced the SOS button fault and rev counter freezing. within 80 miles of driving. I mentioned it to the staff and they acknowledged the issue and said a software fix was due Mid Sept and to call back for the update.

You'll get used to Audi dealers telling you that, this car is riddled with electronic and software bugs. 5 minutes of reading this forum will demonstrate that.

However, if I can give you one piece of advice, try your best not to focus too much on these issues and just try and enjoy the car. Otherwise you'll end up hating the thing and overlooking the fact that it's a nice car.

Reactions: Tamara023, Ludus and bomp306
Okay so I have started to have some new random warning lights over the past few days: Restricted visibility (it was a clear sunny day) and then the next one was a A risk of skidding (dry road no issues) has anyone else had these?
My MMI also logs be out and just keeps defaulting to guest user.

Okay so I have started to have some new random warning lights over the past few days: Restricted visibility (it was a clear sunny day) and then the next one was a A risk of skidding (dry road no issues) has anyone else had these?
My MMI also logs be out and just keeps defaulting to guest user.
Well I've had it ping when it was raining (forgot I turned off auto wipers) so yes it was reduced visibility.
Also I had it when the sun was in my eye on an otherwise clear sunny day, but perhaps the angle the sun shone into the sensor 'blinded' it hence the ping? Just what I believed happened.

To be honest I'm getting fed up with the whole thing now. I've had the restricted visibility one mentioned above, I've had parking sensor not functional (but then fine after next start), I've had a warning about the lights (also fine after restart), now a tire pressure warning and I've checked all the tyres and they're fine. Don't know if you can reject a demonstrator but I've had just about enough.

Reactions: Tamara023