ITG intake

JustCharlie

Reaction score
After an e-mail to Andy at ITG inquiring when the S3 version will be available he mentioned he needed another car to do the final pre-production fit of the kit and finalise the filter size, so off we went to Coventry on Saturday morning, which turned into a forum mini-meet as SteveP was going to get the ceramic coated pipes fitted and Simon was going to get the kit fitted to his Skoda Octavia(which I was really impressed with)

you know what the kit looks like put here's some pics anyway

020-1.jpg

019.jpg

021-2.jpg

as you can see there is even less room in the S3 engine bay for the filter. As an engineer I can really appreciate the R&D that have gone into the kit, but it really is well engineered with a few neat touches.

All I can say is it works, it really has given the stg2+ an extra edge, It is louder than stock but only when accelerating hard, when cruising it is no different. It also makes a few nice aggressive noises
laugh.gif

Hi mate im a newbie on here, sods law ive just emailed itg then stumbled across your thread !
Im looking to get the same kit for my S3, when will it be available and how much ??
Thanks !

Thanks mate ill give him a call in the morning.:icon_thumright:

I dont mate, i dont think they have officially released the pre-facelift kit yet,so id guess the newer ones arent out either im gonna give them a call in the morning and find out.
Been after a decent induction kit for ages and the I.T.G looks the business ! :icon_thumright:

Great charlie - will give him a ring this week!

Will I be best waiting to get my milltek DP before fitting it or will it be ok to install with revo stage 1 and milltek cat back?

As an engineer I can really appreciate the R&D that have gone into the kit, but it really is well engineered with a few neat touches.

Can you tell me what sort of "R&D" is involved? Dont mean to be an ***, but it seems to me it's just some fittings and pipes joined together with silicone hoses/bends.

1) There is a reducer immediately upstream of the maf, and the area change in the pipe seems to be quite huge compared to the ones posted below.
2) There is a 90' bend immediately after the maf
3) All the silicone hose connections would mean that there's a sudden change in the bore, and that isnt very nice for airflow?

Granted the bend after the maf is limited by available spacing and is not THAT critical to the flow profile at the maf compared to the reducer.

Looking at the pictures of intakes (dbilas, neuspeed, VF...or even stock) it is noted that they all prefer to have a long straight constant bore pipe before and after the maf. Seems like a single piece construction is prefered as well
IMG_0196.jpg

Aside from that, there is the AEM intake which reduces the pipe diameter slightly before the maf just like the ITG, but not as much. It also leaves more straight after the maf compared to the ITG setup you posted.
DSCN0847.jpg

Then finally, we have a picture of the Sirroco GT24 intake, which is the opposite of the AEM and ITG setup. It has the upstream diameter of the maf smaller. The maf is positioned even further from the downstream 90' bend compared to the AEM unit.
vwm_ring_engine.jpg

I'm interested to know if ITG have explored these different options, and what made them decide on their setup.

All that being said, I doubt any intake systems listed is going to result in any significant losses or flow metering problems for our road cars.

Last edited:
Hello boggysv,

I thought I'd ask your questions to Andy direct rather than give you what would be my opinion:icon_thumright:

He sent this reply today and hope it answers your questions

I did actually take a quick look across the forums this morning and spotted your posts. The comment on the Renault design is valid as they do design their own intakes. The first proper cold air induction kit we produced with a sealed airbox was over ten years ago – as far as I’m aware nobody else at the time was doing this, I guess that gives us a bit of experience of CAI’s, not to mention the design work we do that is out of the public eye.

In terms of development, the layout of the pipework is the 3rd incarnation we’ve run. This setup gave us the best airflow along with keeping MAF readings stable. The turbo hose has been designed and manufactured specifically to reduce turbulence as air enters the turbo which is the point where the air has the most velocity and hence is one of the most critical points in the system in terms of airflow.

Having the reduction in pipework so close to the MAF isn’t a problem, if you look at the design of most standard airbox’s you will see that they are drawing from an open volume of air, typically 30mm to 60mm from the MAF sensor – as long as the airflow across the MAF is uniform you won’t have any issues with unstable readings. One of the reasons we have stepped down as far back in the system as we have is to try and negate the inherent drag associated with a long parallel bore pipe, the larger bore means that air velocity is relatively low until being accelerated before it passes over the MAF.

Granted, all the hose connections will have a small step on the inside, but with the aluminium pipes having 1.5mm wall thickness and the pipework being as large as it is, any turbulence at these points is negligible.

Time has also been spent making the sure the mountings are secure but not so rigid as to cause MAF failures or broken mounts due to vibration – this is one of the reasons we have stuck with silicone hoses on the bends rather than using a large ‘S’ shaped pipe from the back of the engine as the silicone hoses have enough flex to help compensate for the engines movement.

With the heat shield, this does, I will admit, look like a cheap and cheerful solution. However it does create a much better seal than just having an aluminium plate or similar and is not affected by radiant heat in the same way an aluminium shield would. Price wise to us, the foam shield works out about the same as getting an aluminium shield made. If it didn’t work as well as it does I would have gone down a different route.

I hope this answers the questions

Best regards

Andy Jackson

Technical Support Advisor

Last edited: