I've been very stupid it seems !!!

evilbane

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I have tried fitting cruise control to my car today, I checked with Stoke Audi and they said based on the reg and VIN the ECU would be fine.

I fitted it and I have the ESP error and an error saying the ECU was incorrectly coded, anyway after following the ABS ROSS-Tech guide to get rid of the ESP error the laptop kind of froze and now I have no power steering at all, the ABS light is on with an error of something along the lines of system check activated and the stupid ESP error is still there, even the one press setting on the windows has gone, and now the window switches have to be kept pressed in.

And I cant access the Engine ECU to do the cruise control coding, says Error 22?
I also have the steering wheel light on, with the error of Incorrectly coded ECU, which I'm guessing is down the new cruise control stalk and ECU not coded?

If I could get the power steering back the car can be driven still, so I could live with the others until someone can have a look at them.

Any help would be massively appreciated, as i'm absolutely gutted at the moment :sob:

Ste

I now have exact error messages:

01486-System Function test activated -ABS light
00779-Outside air temp sensor-005 no or incorrect basic settings/adaption-ABS light
01044-Control Module incorrectly coded-Steering wheel light
02546-No or incorrect basic settings/adaption-Steering assist

And I now cant access 03 ABS/11/enter 40168/ DO IT(at this point it throws back an error message and I cant get access to the basic settings menu, bent pins maybe?

Last edited:
Hopefully Jonny the cruise expert (Jb0o) should be along soon to give some pointers!! Unfortunately I'm no help soz mate

Im assuming you have a facelift A3? (2009+).. Error 22 is thrown back on some of these (depends on engine ECU), when you code the engine ECU you need to remove the 00's from the two fields (cant remember exact field names.. Theyre just under the coding) when you click 'Do It' and fill them in with any other digits, '12345' for example.

ESP light and lack of power steering could may well be caused from the coding in Steering Wheel-16, but no coding in Engine-01, though this would be very unlikely.

How did you remove the Steering ECU, by seperating the printed circuit board from its housing?

Try get the Engine coded first and go from there..

Also, do you have genuine VCDS?

Could you also PM me your Engine ECU part number, would like to see how it compares to my records of installs.

Ive installed to 5 facelift A3s now and only 1 experienced the Error 22 problem..

Just found some of your topics and you have an 2005 TDI, ive never heard of the Error 22 problem with a 2005.

Post up your Engine ECU part number still though..

And what about the wire from the Steering ECU to the Engine ECU for cruise, was this present?

Im very interested in whats gone wrong..

Jonny - he has the repair wire in now because that's the one I gave to him on Thursday. He moved the slip ring whilst the wheel was off so he needs to do basic settings again. I had to do this when fitting rev F ecu before mfsw would work. It was a buggar to do and I tried about 3 times before I succeeded.

What I don't understand is why he can't get VCDS working - I think it might be worth him disconnecting the car battery and starting again, this time without the repair wire. In other words, lets get it back to what it was without cc.

What do you think ?

if live in the northwest of england pm me and i will sort it out foc

Yes it's a 2005 model buddy, the original error was just the ESP and steering wheel light on, then I tired to implement the ABS module method to remove it, that's when everything went a little bit crazy, when I access the ABS module I get the readings Steering Angle sensor N/A, Adjustmnent status not possible.
I removed the steering ECU by unclicking the tabs and pulling downthough the front tab would not move even when I pushed the lever with a very small alan key so it took a bit of force to leaver down, then removed the slip ring, the slip ring did move a little before I had chance to tape it still, but from what I understand this would just require a recalibration to sort out.

Where would the ECU part number be?

The wire is present yes, pin 13 black and white cable.

Jonny - he has the repair wire in now because that's the one I gave to him on Thursday. He moved the slip ring whilst the wheel was off so he needs to do basic settings again. I had to do this when fitting rev F ecu before mfsw would work. It was a buggar to do and I tried about 3 times before I succeeded.

What I don't understand is why he can't get VCDS working - I think it might be worth him disconnecting the car battery and starting again, this time without the repair wire. In other words, lets get it back to what it was without cc.

What do you think ?

Hope you enjoyed the BBQ Mike :)
I have tried resetting the sensors etc through the ABS module, as instructed Ross guide, but the steering angle sensor now shows as N/A and adjustment not possible, it showed up fine earlier today before all the other problems popped up, so I'm guessing they have gone offline due to one of the other problems?

The ABS problem seems to be due to it being in a test mode which requires me to drive a certain distance

yep you have to fully complete the road test stage then red warning will go ut then reset steering angle and the yellow light will go out and pas returns.I will post a better description than ross tech wiki if I still have it

Yes thanks - good barbie.

If I remember correctly there are two alternatives on the RT website for basic setting of steering module. Did you try both ways?

I had to test drive the car at least 3 times before I got the power steering back. I think you have to set both ABS and steering sensor before it works.

Have you done the full lock left to full lock right setting ?

Chassis Type: 1K0
Scan: 01 03 08 09 15 16 17 19 25 42 44 46 47 52 56 7D

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Malfunction 0010
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 FF HW: 028 101 190 5
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 6337
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: AUX7Z0DDFN20D7
Coding: 0000072
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 6CDCD83470D1E17C

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Coding: 0023174
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000
VCID: 3A702E6C4A058FCC

2 Faults Found:
01486 - System Function Test Activated
000 -- -
00779 - Outside Air Temp Sensor (G17)
005 -- No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 8P0-820-043.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 820 043 H HW: 8P0 820 043 H
Component: KlimavollautomatH14 0180
Revision: 127872 Serial number: 8P0820043H
VCID: 3162094097734C94

1 Fault Found:
01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
003 -- Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 251
Mileage: 180544 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.03.09
Time: 19:35:06

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 13.70 V
Temperature: 22.0°C
(no units): 194.0
(no units): 226.0
Temperature: 6.5°C

A fault log as requested guys, appreciate all the help given so far as well :)

The one problem that is baffling me is that i am getting error 22 when trying to code the engine ECU, this happened when I only had the ESP and incorrect coding steering wheel error

Yes Mike I tired that, from a straight wheel, I turned to left furthest it could go, then repeated right then centerd again, It didn't do anything

Last edited:
abs road test
ESP System Function Test (Conti/Teves) - Ross-Tech Wiki

this is the bit that causing you problems
Instructions

• Press brake pedal firmly until the ASR Indicator Light (K155) goes ON. A brake pressure of at least 35 bar needs to be reached for this.
  • Start road test (Do this on an enclosed site or make sure to drive according to traffic regulations).
  • Make a right turn, then a left turn (or vice versa). A rotation rate (turn rate) of ~10 °/s must be reached while driving these turns.
  • The ABS Warning Light (K47) should now turn OFF.

• A common example for turns like this is driving turns with a radius of 10 to 12 meters (30 to 40 feet) with a speed of 15 to 30 kph (9 to 18 mph).
  • The ABS, EDS, ASR and ESP functions may NOT get activated during these test.
  • Doing other maneuvers between the turns should have no influence on the ESP System Function Test.

then follow this in order but ignore the tpms
VW Golf (1K) Brake Electronics (MK60) - Ross-Tech Wiki

then retry login in engine ecu for cruise active

then recode address 16 for cruise

Ah, didnt realise this was the chap who was needing the wire. Haha.

Very strange that the ECU wont code, but do try the method I suggested as on the facelift cars that generate a 22 Error Code that method sorts it out.

Ah, Ive heard of this taping the slipring to prevent movement.. Believe it or not in all my 23 installs, Ive never once taped the slipring ;) and the only install that developed the ESP fault was my first install.

Thinking about it, it does sound like the road test needs to take place to teach everything again.

The likes of Mike and a8tech should be able to provide better info on this as Ive never experienced the lack of power steering when installing Cruise..

If you look in Engine-01 and get the part number, top left, then Ill compare it to my ecus ive installed into to see if ive coded it before..

I've had a look at my records and I've fitted to a 2005 A3 Sportback (sachen007 off the forum) with the exact same Engine module.

It was coded via the login "11463" method and it worked first time with no Error 22.

Could this fault be possibly generated because its not detecting the cable? Kinda wish I'd tried to activate cruise without the cable being present to see how it reacted..

flooking server keeps crashing

May have entered the wrong number or not in coding 2 so times you out, retry in the morning and make sure the user details are filled in on the vcds control panel

workshop code importer number

As with all retro fits you make errors but when you sort them out its normally something you've missed, trust me it happens lol

How did you guys get on the forum to post those last two ? I've been 'server too busy' for the last half hour !

A8 - will any code do for workshop code and importer number as long as they have the right number of digits ?

How did you guys get on the forum to post those last two ? I've been 'server too busy' for the last half hour !

A8 - will any code do for workshop code and importer number as long as they have the right number of digits ?

Tapatalks been okay for me.

And yeah, thats the two fields I was referring to workshop and importer.. By default theyre 0's iirc. On a few facelifts that threw back the Error 22 I simply entered 12345 into the fields and it worked a charm.

Cheers guys, I've just got in from work so will give it a go tomorrow and get back to you all, I drove the car to work but didn't have any turns that required full lock so couldn't test that method of removing the ABS fault.

Once again the help has been excellent :laugh:

Hi Mike, hope this explains it

vcds by a8 tech, on Flickr

this is just on my normal pc and no equipment number but my others have the equipment number filled in

some info

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Options

Last edited:
Right guys I have managed to get the ABS light to go out but the guide to recallibrating the basic settings didnt work.

Basic Setting

Sensor for Steering Angle (G85)

Prerequisites: This works fine, all reads as normal

• Start the vehicle.
  • Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
  • Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
  • Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
  • System voltage at least 12.0 V.
[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Coding-II - 11]
OR (if Coding-II is not available)
[Security Access - 16]
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

Note: After successful basic setting, the Steering Limit Stop needs to be adapted too.

Lateral Acceleration Sensor (G200)

Prerequisites:

[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 2, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 m/s².
[Done, Go Back]
[Coding-II - 11]
[Security Access - 16]
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 063
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next] works fine up until this point, I get an error group 63 not available
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 2, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 m/s². this reads correctly though during this check
[Done, Go Back]

Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)

Prerequisites:

[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 005
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -8.0 and +8.0 bar.
[Done, Go Back]
[Coding-II - 11]
[Security Access - 16]
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 066
[Go!]
[ON/OFF/Next] again everything reads fine up until this point, I get the same error message as before,group 66 not available
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".this reads fine when checked and does say "OK"
[Done, Go Back]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 005
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -3.8 and +3.8 bar. This also reads fine when checked
[Done, Go Back]

Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (G251)

Prerequisites:

[Select]
[03 - Brake Electronics]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004 says not available
[Go!]
Check field 4, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 m/s². field 4 shows "N/A"
[Done, Go Back]
[Coding-II - 11]
[Security Access - 16]
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 069 Again comes back as not available
[Go!]
[ON/OFF/Next]
[Done, Go Back]
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 006
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 m/s². shows as fine
[Done, Go Back]

The only thing I couldn't do correctly was the driving in a straight line and its a slight incline/decline as the road I live on is curved, but I followed everything else on the prerequisites list.

Slight update, after driving the car to a BBQ the ESP light has now gone out and the windows have started the one touch up/down method again, so now I only have the steering wheel error-incorrect coding and no power steering

lock to lock time and then reset steering angle followed by recode address 16 :salute:

Slight update, after driving the car to a BBQ the ESP light has now gone out and the windows have started the one touch up/down method again, so now I only have the steering wheel error-incorrect coding and no power steering

so you've managed the straight line reset

now

Adaptation

Basic Setting

Important Note: This applies only for Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR. For Conti/Teves MK60 ABS/ASR/ESP look at Vehicle specific specific Procedures in ABS System documentation.

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
  • Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
  • If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]

now this is the lock to lock reset
Special Procedures

Steering Limit Stop Adaptation

(Engine still running)

• Center steering wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for 5 seconds.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for a second.
  • Turn steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for a second.
  • Center steering wheel (±10°).
  • Switch OFF engine and ignition.
  • Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

Clearly you activated the system test & that would need to be disabled at 1st before doing rest, you would of needed to contact RT for the correct channel/basic setting location to disable the test or do the test drive as stated.

Rest are down to calibrating the steering angle sensor & associated sensors that also need doing.

You should at all times tape the slip ring in place, if this is positioned wrong then a full lock may pull the ribbon out of its connectors & you lose airbag & if fitted mfsw functions.

Make sure you're in the correct module for the calibrations as sometimes people get confused with 03 abs & 44 steering assist.

Its hard to explain without actually sitting in the vehicle with the laptop plugged in lol

Clearly you activated the system test & that would need to be disabled at 1st before doing rest, you would of needed to contact RT for the correct channel/basic setting location to disable the test or do the test drive as stated.

Rest are down to calibrating the steering angle sensor & associated sensors that also need doing.

You should at all times tape the slip ring in place, if this is positioned wrong then a full lock may pull the ribbon out of its connectors & you lose airbag & if fitted mfsw functions.

Make sure you're in the correct module for the calibrations as sometimes people get confused with 03 abs & 44 steering assist.

Thanks for the reply NHN, the slip ring was taped as soon as the wheel was removed, but the wheel disturbed it and moved it slightly to the left so I had to move it slightly to the right and this continued until it was centred again.

Everything is now back to how it was apart from the power steering, thanks to the guys in this post :)

I've just followed the guide that Tech posted
so you've managed the straight line reset

now

Adaptation

Basic Setting

Important Note: This applies only for Models with Conti/Teves MK70 ABS/ASR. For Conti/Teves MK60 ABS/ASR/ESP look at Vehicle specific specific Procedures in ABS System documentation.

Prerequisites:

• Start the vehicle.
[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK". Shows this and the step by step guide works perfectly, but the power steering still isnt present, and the basic setting are still showing as missing
[Done, Go Back]

now this is the lock to lock reset
Special Procedures

(Engine still running)

• Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.
  • Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF. If it doesn't, perform a short test drive.

I've posted a fault log just taken now, it seems the basic settings are not there still?

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: Malfunction 0010
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: Malfunction 0010
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-016-BKD.lbl
Part No SW: 03G 906 016 FF HW: 028 101 190 5
Component: R4 2,0L EDC 0000SG 6337
Revision: 12345678 Serial number: AUX7Z0DDFN20D7
Coding: 0000072
VCID: 6CDCD83470D1E17C

No fault code found.
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl
Part No: 1K0 907 379 K
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Coding: 0023174
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000
VCID: 3A702E6C4A058FCC

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: 8P0-820-043.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 820 043 H HW: 8P0 820 043 H
Component: KlimavollautomatH14 0180
Revision: 127872 Serial number: 8P0820043H
VCID: 3162094097734C94

1 Fault Found:
01809 - Actuating Motor for Temperature Flap; Left (V158)
003 -- Mechanical Failure - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100011
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 6
Reset counter: 251
Mileage: 180544 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2011.03.09
Time: 19:35:06

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 13.70 V
Temperature: 22.0°C
(no units): 194.0
(no units): 226.0
Temperature: 6.5°C

Address 44: Steering Assist Labels:
Control Module Part Number:
Component and/or Version:
Software Coding:
Work Shop Code:
VCID: 55AA9DD0C35B40B4
1 Fault Found:

02546 - Steering Limit Stop
005 -- No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 1080 km
Temperature: 24.0°C
Voltage: 14.00 V
Voltage: 13.90 V

There lies your issue

(Engine still running)

• Switch ON ignition.
  • Wait 5 seconds.

that's it were getting there
fault code 02546 procedure as we have already mentioned but hopefully this will clear it all up
02546 - Ross-Tech Wiki

the steering angle need to centralise so pas and esp no were the centre of the wheel is hence the above procedure

tip if you have to do the test drive just drive forward in a straight line for 20 metres that should do it

Last edited:
I have done the above 3 times now guys, but it doesn't seem to resolve anything.

I hold the steering wheel at centre position for 5 seconds, then one turn to the right, followed by one to the left, then set off for about 15-20 meters below 10-15MPH, then I centre the steering wheel again, switch off ignition/switch it back on then wait 5 seconds, then I have turned engine over and have also turned ignition off before starting engine.

The road I used was a small hill though, as straight even roads round my area are a rarity