I've gained a new car somehow.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Bit of a strange one guys but I seem to have gained a new car free of charge.
The old bus has this week been running just fine, well no probs at all.
This evening I went out to my local bare shelved supermarket on a wasted trip but decided to take the rather longer than normal back road route home , has a few nice fast sections and normally quiet.
The old bus went really well as to be expected when it not misbehaving but it seems to have taken on a whole new power band .
before I used to have a very good low and midrange boost etc which dropped off the further up the rev range , but something seem to have changed as I still get the nice low end boost and great midrange kick but now the top end just flies which it never used too, almost caught me off guard tonight as I wasn't expecting the old girl to just get up and go that quick at higher rpm's.

I ran vcds etc and nothing out of the blue shows up and no faults , cant see any info suggesting over boost either.
Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining , just a little surprised why, any thoughts chaps.

Different fuel? Colder ambient air temp?

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Glad to hear the car is running good now, fingers crossed it's all good now.
So you think changing that sensor on the HPFP did the fix.

Different fuel? Colder ambient air temp?
nope, same fuel and prettywell same air temp etc, has me stumped really.
I best enjoy it whilst it last's.

Reactions: boffin486 and Sveneng
Glad to hear the car is running good now, fingers crossed it's all good now.
So you think changing that sensor on the HPFP did the fix.

It may have Richard or maybe as part of several fix's , difficult to say but whatever has changed today I rather like it.:icon thumright::yahoo:

I think I will do my fuel filter soon as well as we have similar mileage.
My car has a small oil leak at the back of the engine, not rocket cover, I tried to see it but it's very tight to see,
So my Audi Master Tech who changed my lower front suspension arms had a look, he said it's the rear cover on the chain tensioner.
Looks like a bitch to change.

Don't get me wrong i'm not complaining , just a little surprised why, any thoughts chaps.
Cleaner air outside lol.......due to the Covid situation and less vehicles on the road, air quality is a lot better in some areas of the country.

Reactions: CHEZ and Charlie Farley
I think I will do my fuel filter soon as well as we have similar mileage.
My car has a small oil leak at the back of the engine, not rocket cover, I tried to see it but it's very tight to see,
So my Audi Master Tech who changed my lower front suspension arms had a look, he said it's the rear cover on the chain tensioner.
Looks like a bitch to change.

That cover is not too bad, it is just some of the bolts are awkward to get at and you have to work on a feel basis to get at them etc.
It wasn't too bad when I did my chain tensioner Richard , just a bit fiddly really with large hands, still way easier than replacing the cooling pipe union below it, that is a real pain to do.

Cleaner air outside lol.......due to the Covid situation and less vehicles on the road, air quality is a lot better in some areas of the country.

What he said,, and no joke.. cancelled flights,ships, so that less planes above the islands, and boats in the channel, possibly less traffic on the roads, means less pollution,cleaner air.. and it's not just UK. over here in good old Europe we're been totally shut down for over a week now (except food,& pharmacy stores) and you can tell as soon as you step outside the air is better, nature is healing immediately.
or it might be just miraculous a one off..

Reactions: Charlie Farley, Sidrick and Alistair D
In many ways it's a shame that things will eventually return to 'normal'.

Reactions: AvantMike, TOM.S and Charlie Farley
Sad but true chap, nothing good ever last's with life and the old bus.

Mine feels out of puff at around 6000/6250 revs, is yours pulling hard all the way to the redline? I mean it should do with the added mods you have etc.

It is very unnerving to be honest as it just goes so well, it's like having a turbo on boost and then getting some afterburners kick in aswell just for luck..:yahoo:

It is very unnerving to be honest as it just goes so well, it's like having a turbo on boost and then getting some afterburners kick in aswell just for luck..:yahoo:

Sounds like the difference I had going to stage 2 with the 034 HFC. But I believe you’ve been running that for a long time already right? Hopefully just fueling doing what it should with the new sensor and free flowing filter.
It can take a few miles for the ecu to adapt to the changes so most likely that’s what’s happened

You maybe correct chap.
possibly all the replacement parts on the fuel side of things account for it, I must say the original fuel filter I took off must have been well and truly clogged , the crud that came out when I removed it was unbelievable, my ride on mower had a cleaner fuel filter..lol

Reactions: jimmyjamms
You probably bumped up the low pressure fuel system slighty.

A fuel filter with 70k miles on it won’t have optimal flow through it.

Audi deemed your low pressure fuel sensor was inadequate Back in 2008 :footy:

That cover is not too bad, it is just some of the bolts are awkward to get at and you have to work on a feel basis to get at them etc.
It wasn't too bad when I did my chain tensioner Richard , just a bit fiddly really with large hands, still way easier than replacing the cooling pipe union below it, that is a real pain to do.

I Had a look to today with a light and mirror, I am pretty sure the leak is not from the chain cover as I was told.
The oil is on the cables below the Vac pump, and runs to the top right of the bell housing I cannot find any oil from the chain cover seal, that sits further back on the engine, the oil would run down so I'm thinking it's the Vac pump leaking somewhere.
As you no it's very difficult to see around that part of the engine.

If it's not leaking from the camchain cover , it may infact be leaking from the vacuum pump o-ring seal , another known issue, I got hold of a vacuum pump rebuild kit which included a revised o-ring seal aswell.

o-ring around the mounting collar leaks .
Rebuild kits have a better o-ring and don't leak.
Pump67

I'm not sure now, I recall the kit has all the bits to overhaul the vacuum pump but they are not from the uk as uk kits don't have all the parts.
I'll have a look back and see where I purchased it.

The main o-ring is available from uk parts but nothing else.
depending on your engine number that o-ring part is either.

06D 145 117
or
06D 145 117 A

But it is a better bet to get hold of a kit which will do all the seals.

I think most of us wouldn't put it past you to ACTUALLY add some ex-MOD afterburners Rob.

If works for an old ford then it's good enough for me..lol

ZZ_TOP_AFTERBURNER%2B-%2BSEALED-537802.jpg

Reactions: boffin486 and AvantMike
Some kits in the uk now aswell.

have PM'd you Richard.
Hi mate,
Just wondering if you could point me in the direction of a full kit inc inner, outer & the male plastic takeoff gasket in attached photo
Car is 08 BHZ s3 if relevant
Thanks in advance

You can get the kits on eBay I had to do mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks mate.
I have to say, everyone on here seems to be really helpful I have to say!
I do need the whole kit as I need the small o-ring on the vacuum outlet make pipe that comes out of the pump itself

Don’t suppose you know which company on eBay as I would like to use a tried and tested kit if it’s not genuine.
there is an American company, but their postage is more than the set itself,
A mr oring kit and another company on there but if you can remember which you used that would be amazing.
cheers mate for advice. Much appreciated. !

Sim3028 was the person selling the gasket set on e bay it was £36.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Davill9