I've just gone and done it!!!

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Wahoo! My car(me!) has taken its first step on its way to 300bhp! Just added my name onto the waiting list for the jabba IHI conversion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Got to start saving!! Need £3k minimum. Plus after this i WILL need a new clutch and while im doing THAT i may aswell get the Pelequin LSD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gotta ask, why not get an S3, swop all you mods and trim onto that, and then get that up to 300 ponies? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig, but sow's ears and silk purses do come to mind.

[ QUOTE ]
4SilverRings said:
Gotta ask, why not get an S3, swop all you mods and trim onto that, and then get that up to 300 ponies? Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a dig, but sow's ears and silk purses do come to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i bought an S3, the cost of the upgrade TO the S3, plus the cost of the turbo upgrade will make it too expensive. Plus the A3 is lighter, so 300bhp will FEEL like 300bhp, i've done enough to it that would loose me money and arent transferable (brakes and exhaust for one, bumper .etc)

If i was going down the new car route, i WOULD get an S3, but im not, so im not going to change! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Traction will NOT be a problem once i've fitted racelogic traction control, and with this, it WILL beat an S3 with the same power.... IN THE WET! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
Excellent! That will fly i'm sure!

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

Im a little excited thinking about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

how long till you get the work done Rich

those mods animal! but I'm curious my mates Leon Cupra R is putting out 218 bhp and I leave him for dead traction wise in my 02 225 S3, were both on Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 225/40 18s

So how will 300 bhp go down through the front wheels?

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
how long till you get the work done Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

When i save up! Basically it will be done so i can seriosuly take the [censored] at GTI next year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Im in no tearing hurry

300ps should pretty well defeat most S3s, Scoobies, Boxters and even Evos. You'll soon be king of the middle-market-sports-performance road my son. But how will you behave? With serious power comes great responsibility. Will you continue to take on those upstart Corsas, CTRs, Supra Rs and S class gnomes, or will you now drive knowing always that the accelerator pedal is ultimately mightier than the howl of your exhaust pipe. These are serious questions.

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:
those mods animal! but I'm curious my mates Leon Cupra R is putting out 218 bhp and I leave him for dead traction wise in my 02 225 S3, were both on Pirelli P-Zero Rossos 225/40 18s

So how will 300 bhp go down through the front wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well from what i've seen from P Zero's they arent all that great! so thats problem number 1...

Traction WILL be a problem, but i plan to fit racelogic traction control which is like retro fit quattro! Its ****** fantastic. I can guarantee that with this fitted a quattro of the same power wont be a threat in the wet.

Rich

Sounds good, but surely the physics of putting the same power through two wheels can't be the same as four?

Regarding the Rossos I think there're amazing and have won the last two Autocar tyre tests but I'd like to know what you recommend tyre wise, what have you got on at the moment?

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:
Sounds good, but surely the physics of putting the same power through two wheels can't be the same as four?

Regarding the Rossos I think there're amazing and have won the last two Autocar tyre tests but I'd like to know what you recommend tyre wise, what have you got on at the moment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the info on http://www.racelogic.co.uk/traction.htmIm not going only on this, i have been in a powerful fwd car with this and it was amazing. Roundabouts in the wet could be taken at near enough the same speed as in the dry without it even making a fuss. Its so progressive and quick that you relaly dont know its there. The thing is, the S3 is a HEAVY car. The A3 is much lighter so 4wd against 2wd isnt the only thing to consider.

'Phall' has P Zero's on his A3 and i wasnt impressed with them. Grip was average. Im using Toyo proxes T1-S at the moment and they are simply fantastic.

Rich

I def agree about the weight issue, used to race Formula A 100cc karts, was racing against this little kid he used to carry 55 kilos of lead on the bottom of his seat, he used to kill me in the dry but I was better in the wet, I was told that being 6'2' this can be an advantage in the wet but I think this mite be exclusive to karting,

I'm in Dublin, so the whole tuning industry in non existent here, gonna try t go to AMD this summer,

what are the toyos like on price and wear?

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:
I def agree about the weight issue, used to race Formula A 100cc karts, was racing against this little kid he used to carry 55 kilos of lead on the bottom of his seat, he used to kill me in the dry but I was better in the wet, I was told that being 6'2' this can be an advantage in the wet but I think this mite be exclusive to karting,

I'm in Dublin, so the whole tuning industry in non existent here, gonna try t go to AMD this summer,

what are the toyos like on price and wear?

[/ QUOTE ]
They arent the best for wear...but they arent really all that expensive either. I prefer grip over life (to a certain point!). They cost arund £115.00 each

Rich

Well done Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif SOme1 is selling an IHI turbo on the market place forum for #1250 brand new. Just a thought if u hadn't seen it already.

Also I know your getting the traction controll sorted out, but 300bhp through the front wheels. U reckon you'll be able to handle it!!!! :p

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Traction wise you're quite right but once rolling I would of thought the Leon would easily take you, due to weight and reduced powerloss through the driveline. My chipped A3T on the move will take a chipped S3, not in every case I'm sure but the two times I've tried it's done me proud.

Traffic light grand prix's will be where FWD cars will always loose out, but as Rich says the traction control system by racelogic is proven to sort that once set up correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
pure said:
Well done Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif SOme1 is selling an IHI turbo on the market place forum for #1250 brand new. Just a thought if u hadn't seen it already.

Also I know your getting the traction controll sorted out, but 300bhp through the front wheels. U reckon you'll be able to handle it!!!! :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Handle it no problem! I dont drive like a loon so wont be a problem. Plus its Fwd so its harder to get into an uncontrollable situation.

Rich

I drove a supercharged Golf VR6 with racelogic traction control and I can vouch for its effectivness!

That thing was pushing around 300-330Bhp and it was an animal!

Didn't seem to have any problem getting the power down!

[ QUOTE ]
Markb said:
How much is that going to cost you?

[/ QUOTE ]

£2895 fitted

[ QUOTE ]
DickyS3 said:
I drove a supercharged Golf VR6 with racelogic traction control and I can vouch for its effectivness!

That thing was pushing around 300-330Bhp and it was an animal!

Didn't seem to have any problem getting the power down!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a fantastic bit of kit!

Wow, this could bring up an interesting meet at santa pod.

Rich with 300bhp and racelogic traction control
Us with 400Bhp and racelogic traction control.

Only difference is the IHI creates peak boost a lot earlier than the T28 we will have, so that would give an advantage, but will the higher boost of the T28 overcome the lower boost at lower rpm of the IHI. Stay tuned to find out...

Rich, what times will you expect out of this? Im kinda thinking 12's with the T28 once the traction control is properly set up etc.

rich, springs are yours mate, PM me your phone number, ill give you a ring over the weekend as im at the Play off Semi Final tonight cheering on the mighty Palace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
Wow, this could bring up an interesting meet at santa pod.

Rich with 300bhp and racelogic traction control
Us with 400Bhp and racelogic traction control.

Only difference is the IHI creates peak boost a lot earlier than the T28 we will have, so that would give an advantage, but will the higher boost of the T28 overcome the lower boost at lower rpm of the IHI. Stay tuned to find out...

Rich, what times will you expect out of this? Im kinda thinking 12's with the T28 once the traction control is properly set up etc.

rich, springs are yours mate, PM me your phone number, ill give you a ring over the weekend as im at the Play off Semi Final tonight cheering on the mighty Palace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be expecting to get mid 13's really. The IHI creates peak boost 200rpm higher than the K03... I imagine the T28 to be a fair bit higher than that!?

Should be good for Quattro style launches with racelogic. You getting launch control with yours? I most definately am!

Rich

the T28 doesnt generate peak boost til much later, it comes in at .9 bar i think, then goes all the way to 1.5 bar right up to the redline. I wont have traction control for a while, tis a lot of money on top of the 4 grand im paying out for the turbo, will just take it easy for a while anyway to let it all run in first and by that time, ill have the money for racelogic TC and get it all set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Launch control is great fun. I've been a passenger in a turbo beetle at santa pod in the past.

Time to get the neck brace out!!

Also ask Bill Brockbank how hw handles 350bhp in his FWD Ibiza and 400bhp in his FWD golf.

I bet he'll tell you he handles it just fine!!

[ QUOTE ]
Wahoo! My car(me!) has taken its first step on its way to 300bhp! Just added my name onto the waiting list for the jabba IHI conversion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

When you say added your name to the waiting list how long are you having to wait?

Andy

[ QUOTE ]
AndyS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wahoo! My car(me!) has taken its first step on its way to 300bhp! Just added my name onto the waiting list for the jabba IHI conversion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich

When you say added your name to the waiting list how long are you having to wait?

Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

Well im waiting a long time as i have to save up to have it done! there are currently 47 people on the list, but they said that alot of thise are not confirmed bookings!

Rich

I think most car experts would suggest that the limit a fwd car can handle for power is around the 200bhp mark - any more is just gonna get wasted. Traction control in its essence does just that it controls traction - it doesnt make u accelerate any quicker indeed on ym mlast car i found that the traction control made it slower as it reduced power uintil tyres gripped again - this is the way all traction control systems work so when ur traction control kicks in your power wont be 300bhp any more im sure! more like 180bhp!...which begs the question why create all that power only to have traction control take it away - why not just have sensible power that the chassis can cope with originally and use it all - im sure that would make just as quick a car for less cost!

sorry just a view from another viewpoint!

Steve

I understand what your saying, but the traction problem really is only a problem in 1st gear, and maybe very slightly in second on a crap road surface. Racelogic is in no way like manufacturers traction control. To be honest, you wouldnt know it was there. Also, the traction control will not JUST be for acceleration traction but eliminates understeer as it will let you go the MAXIMUM speed around a corner before breakaway, therefore, you can enter a corner and nail the throttle and exit the corner at the maximum permitted speed of that the chassis will allow.

The thought of 300bhp in a FWD car sound too much, but after going in a f2d car with a smidge less than this i realised it was not a problem at all.

Rich

just been reading your suspension post, let me know what you decide on as I'm currently thinking of lowering springs and bigger ARB's

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
just been reading your suspension post, let me know what you decide on as I'm currently thinking of lowering springs and bigger ARB's

[/ QUOTE ]

Im pretty sure i will go with the Koni's. Springs are a done deal already. Will have to be SOOOO careful over speedhumps with the new bumper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Will be doing the ARB's but at a later date.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:

[/ QUOTE ]
For yours, why not go for the R32 setup? cheap yet effective!