I've started it now.....

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I bought these wheels already poorly, very poorly infact, painted in Matt Black. Well 3 are. 1 is a glossy black! Alloy condition is very good so it's just a case of sanding back, etch priming them and then painting them.....he says.....

To this in an hour. Hand sanded with an 80grit. Got 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 to play with yet.

Only had the wheels since December last year! Finally making a start on them. Will be finished off in Matt Satin Black. Never done alloys before so it's all new to me.

Question is, do i need to lacquer (with a Matt lacquer) to protect them or will a good few coats of paint do?

Dan

You will need to lacquer them especially the one under fuel cap in case of spillage

take the valve out aswell

Reactions: S10 AUD
What paint are you going to use Dan?

I'm using Hycote Satin Black paint and UPOL etch primer. I haven't as yet purchased any matt lacquer as the wheels are still a long way from being painted yet. Was talking to a bodyshop we use through work and he suggested the paints are good for DIY wheel refurbs. So went with that.

Dan

Well, three weeks on and I'm here:

Three wheels sanded back, etch primed ready for Black Satin paint:

U-pol Etch Paint

One wheel with the paint finished, awaiting lacquer:

Without clear lacquer after it rained:

This wheel is a swine! This was the only wheel to have been painted semi correctly! It has a primer and a very thick glossy coat, which even with Nitro-Mors paint remover, it is struggling to come off!

I was hoping to have all these completed within two weeks but it's looking like it'll be end of the month now.