Jacking my car?!?

pdv40

Reaction score
So I want to rotate my tyres and give the inside of the alloys & arches a good detail.

I'm planning on swapping LF with LR and RF with RR, I have a 2 tonne trolley jack and the scissor jack in the boot. What I was going to do was jack one side at a time, trolley jack at the front and scissor jack at the rear to swap one side over and then move round, using the jacking points indicated on the sill.

Is this a stupid idea?

TIA

Pete

I would say that's a bad idea. You would be better off using the trolley jack and fitting your spare so that you can rotate the wheels that way, one by one.

Using the scissor jack would probably make the car unstable. If you had four axle stands you could raise the whole car up and that would make it very easy.

Just a thought.

Olly

I have done similar, with a trolley jack and scissor jack,and lifted one whole side of the car, but for safety I put the spare on by the scissor jack supported wheel (rear in my case) and then had the 2 wheels off, gave them a good wash and a couple of coats of poorboys wheel sealent, them put the back on, will be doing the same soon again to rotate them. but my drive is nice and flat and sheltered from the wind.

Yeh, I had a bad experience with something like that when I was 17....always use axle stands now just to be safe....

yes - there are jacking points on the car for a trolly jack.

On the front, you will see a silver bit which sticks out under the car. It's level with the back of the front wheel and the wishbone connects to it- i did use to jack mine from there.

On the back, there's a circle/rubbery bit that sticks out undeneath and its level with teh S-Line badge.

Use axle stands and put an old wheel, tyre under the car if poss!

Thanks for your replies guys, I did it as follows:

Trolley jack on the rear jacking point, there was a rubber cup thing just in front of the rear wheel

Scissor Jack on the front end. I had read a thread about there being a jacking point under a flap, which I found but I couldn't get off and I didn't want to break anything.

I know it was risky but I didn't use an axel stand as a safety but it went well with no problems, well only one, it took me four hours just to do one side!

I'll try to get the other side sorted tomorrow, thanks for your help.